_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
Front Gate?
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 2,832 posts
Armorama: 1,500 posts
Posted: Monday, January 03, 2005 - 09:19 PM UTC
G'day guys
Jim told me he took it down as it may have been the problem behind the problems ANYWAYS, is it gonna be back soon, i found it really useful.
cheers
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 03:22 AM UTC
Yes....well I am debating that.

Has anyone else noticed that with it off the site seems to be running faster??

Thanks,
Jim
ex-royal
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,009 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 03:41 AM UTC
Hey Jim,
I find the site runs much faster without it in place.. I never used it really so I dont miss it at all.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Cheers,
Bryan
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 10,889 posts
Armorama: 3,245 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 03:43 AM UTC
Jim,

Site is way faster without it. Although it was nice to see who was hanging out on the site, I do prefer the speed.

RR
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Armorama: 761 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 03:55 AM UTC
Hi Jim!

Consider my inputs as a report, instead of complaints, please.

The online user list is helpfull, and today, even without it, the "too many users connects " php error appeared to me (20 minutes ago...)
So, probably, the problems weren't made by the inclusion of this list...

Could it be a numeric paramether that is making this exception and as a result the website crashing?
We could make a test with the community and not login (for a well defined period of time - let's say tomorrow 10-13 GMT) and browse as guests / unregistered and see what happens!
It could be a question of server capacity to requests - either registered or unregistered - charge testing....

To my perception the website access is fast, using LAN and ADSL connections (little slower, but still acceptable) and I do not notice any changes by excluding the list.

A "nice to have" tool would be to have access to our sent PM.
I only discovered this when a few days ago, someone asked me for help on the "Dive! Dive! Dive! Campaign" and I had answered the same question to a PM...
Just a thought!

Hope that I explain myself clear - no harm intended

Skipper

lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 2,832 posts
Armorama: 1,500 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 04:36 PM UTC
hmm, well im noit sure, i didnt notice the speed difference until you guys mentioned it...but i really really liekd the front gate, as i could tell when my buddys were on, then id bother em with pm's, :-)
andy007
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,088 posts
Armorama: 1,257 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 04:51 PM UTC
I agree with David,
I am on dial up (please don't laugh) I haven't really noticed any difference. I appreciated having it there to see who was online.
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Armorama: 4,258 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 04, 2005 - 05:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I am on dial up (please don't laugh)

We won't Andy ( ). But seriuos, I've not noticed that much of a speed difference. I do second Skippers comment regarding the send PM's. It would be nice to be able to see at least if you had replied or not to a PM which you read, but had to look something up and then overlooked to reply...I would imagine that to be able to see the replies archived would probably take up to much space.

Henk
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 01:53 AM UTC
I miss the front gate, I always knew who was here, I have cable, and it does seem to be a little faster, but I still sometimes get "timed-out".... but I mark that to my "wonderful cable connection"..... since it happens at other sites also.....
bowjunkie35
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 576 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 03:51 AM UTC
Yeah, I liked the gate also. Knowing who was on was cool. That way, if I sent someone a PM, I could tell if they were ignoring me or not! :-)

Also, I have DSL and have not noticed much difference. Sometimes, not very often, a page here will drag loading when I click on it. When it does that, I don't give it the chance to time out. I just stop it and reload the page which usually works.

Hiram_Sedai
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 201 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 04:01 AM UTC
I've been a part of many messageboards/bulletin boards that had the "who's online" feature, and it invariably slowed each down.

It was handy but wasn't worth the slow down in my hirsute opinion.
kglack43
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 842 posts
Armorama: 607 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 05:52 AM UTC
If there was a way to have a "favorite members" area that you could see which are online, like some IM things have....perhaps that would work....just a thought
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 06:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If there was a way to have a "favorite members" area that you could see which are online, like some IM things have....perhaps that would work....just a thought

Not that i don't like the idea....... But it could be a bigger memory hog.......6000+ users..... = 6000+ "front gates"

ACK
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 07:01 AM UTC
Matt is correct. That would be an even bigger issue as it would mean additional querires to determine "who" belonged on the list.

What is really the issue here is the overhead it takes to constantly be updating the table that shows who is online. And it's not just members currently that are tracked but anonymous visitors as well. So every time you access a page that has the Front Gate it makes a check to see if you are already listed in the table and updates the time you accessed the page. Then it also updates your view of the Front Gate to show who is currently online and again Updates the database table by removing those who have not accessed a new page in x minutes (5-15min I think).

It's a very database intensive process when you think about 150 users all moving around the site and this happens on every page they visit (on top of all the queries run when a normal page is created).

Jim
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
Armorama: 1,370 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2005 - 07:40 AM UTC
Jim one question, is there any why of not tracking the anonymous visitors or the non-register visitors. There always seem to be more of them on-line then members. I could be wrong but i would think this would help...maybe. But again i don't know how this works. As for having the front gate yes i would like to see it up. It's like being in a bar, you know everyone's there, but having the gate closed to keep the site open and running..well we will adjust to it.
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 6,871 posts
Armorama: 2,071 posts
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2005 - 11:42 PM UTC
hmm i think that its good that site goes faster and also is good to have front gate as a feature .

oMore than this i bet sometime soon Jim will arrange to have both goodies fast and front gate
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
Armorama: 2,283 posts
Posted: Monday, January 10, 2005 - 11:56 PM UTC
With regards to pms, how about adding an "icon" to sent pms. Just like Yahoo, you get a little icon beside the sender's pm telling you that you had replied to his questions.

Just a thought
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 11, 2005 - 05:08 AM UTC
Maybe you can just have it on the homepage or as a separate link to another section that does not require constant refreshing. That way if a person want to go see who's around they can find that page. If not, there is no need to calc who's around.

_GOTOTOP