_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Order of Operations....
SonOfAVet
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 547 posts
Armorama: 115 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 19, 2005 - 05:41 AM UTC
Ok...I'll admit since getting back into model building I haven't built *gulp* a proper AFV kit. I have plenty I've been stocking up on...but I was raised as a airplane builder. A few general questions....

I noticed alot of armor builders attaching the roadwheels of a vechile and then painting the entire kit (some even attach the tracks)-- wouldn't this make it more difficult to get proper coverage over the lower hull and other areas...all those nooks and crannies? Same questions with the tracks-- wouldn't it be difficult to get all the sides of the tracks if they are attached?

I think thats my biggest hang up with jumping into armor...so any tips/explainations are very welcome!

Sean
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 19, 2005 - 05:53 AM UTC
I think you will find many people using different order of operations. I myself tend to paint lower hulls prior and during assembly because, as you pointed out, it would be darn near impossible to do when fully assembled as far as I can see. I just can't see how some of the fully detailed interiors can be painted after assembly so I do the pre-paint and touch up technique.
Frag
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 437 posts
Armorama: 292 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 19, 2005 - 05:59 AM UTC
Sean,

I agree with Alan. I always paint roadwheels and tracks separately and attach after the main vehicle has been painted for just the reasons that you brought up. I begin weathering after the model is completely assembled. Good luck with your AFVs
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
Armorama: 1,864 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 19, 2005 - 06:20 AM UTC
Attaching the suspension is usually in the middle for me. Before I attach them, I'll paint and weather it. I want to have them attached before I do an overall weathering and washing. But yes, otherwise it would be hard to get the proper painting done.

Jeff
merkava8
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 501 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 19, 2005 - 06:35 AM UTC
I do mine like most people, tracks road wheels seperate, but hey whatever works best for you go with that.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 19, 2005 - 06:46 AM UTC
For suspension, road wheels, and tracks - I build the suspension as part of the hull. I build the road wheel but do not connect them. I build the tracks (connect or create inti-sections). Then I paint everything separately as subassemblies. Then assemble it all and weather it all together to pull it together.
INDIA11A
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 577 posts
Armorama: 446 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 19, 2005 - 07:13 AM UTC
I have seen articles done up with the suspesion/ tracks assembled and then the entire model or sometimes just the lower hull painted & weathered. For myself I like to do the suspension and tracks separately and then assemble once basic painting is done. once all assembled I then do final weathering (dusting, finish mudding).
Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,192 posts
Armorama: 1,615 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 19, 2005 - 08:19 AM UTC
I usually leave the vehicle in 3 - 4 large assemblies, depending on what it is, typically lower hull & roadwheels, upper hull & turret. The tracks I always paint & weather seperately, then slip them on last thing (& yes this is ruddy difficult with individual track links!). With the top hull off, you can usually get "behind" the suspension & roadwheels, anything I miss isn't usually visible anyway after assembly. What the eye don't see the heart don't grieve over!
Rockfall
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 884 posts
Armorama: 602 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 19, 2005 - 11:37 AM UTC
I like to paint everything separate and weather it when its all together.

Its personal preference really and what you feel comfortable with doing.

What ever gives you the best results is what you tend to keep doing.

Good luck!
 _GOTOTOP