_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Aluminum barrels
woodstock74
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,189 posts
Armorama: 692 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 20, 2005 - 11:53 PM UTC
Firstly this question does have an obvious answer. But I wanted to check to see if there is an alternate. The question is, how do you compensate for the weight of an aluminum barrel as my experience has shown that after installation it tends to droop (not the barrel itself, but the barrel ends up pointing at the ground due to its weight over the plastic you've replaced). Obvioulsy I could superglue the barrel into a fixed position, but I was wondering if anyone else has a different approach?
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 2,798 posts
Posted: Friday, January 21, 2005 - 01:04 AM UTC
Because I like to take the easy route, I usually wedge or glue a piece of thin plasticard inside the gun shield which leaves the gun still able to elevate/depress, but makes it less likely to do it by itself.

Where you can do this (like with saukopf type mantlets) try thickening up the trunnions with a bit of superglue.
Vadster
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 987 posts
Armorama: 444 posts
Posted: Friday, January 21, 2005 - 02:13 AM UTC
I epoxy mine in place. Since you want to still move the barrel up & down - you could try attaching a counter weight on the inside of the turret although you would have to use something with some heft to it.
Frag
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 437 posts
Armorama: 292 posts
Posted: Friday, January 21, 2005 - 02:17 AM UTC
If its in a closed top turret with no view of the interior possible I add a counter weight to the breech.
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Friday, January 21, 2005 - 05:18 AM UTC
I always glue mine in place - the fewer moving parts the less change of breakage in the future.
Rockfall
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 884 posts
Armorama: 602 posts
Posted: Friday, January 21, 2005 - 09:50 AM UTC
I glue mine too. I figure its not a toy and if I glue it there is less chance it getting wrecked.
steeldog51
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,114 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, January 21, 2005 - 10:25 AM UTC
I glue too ! i feel that a nice scale model needs no moving parts at all ,it really doesnt
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Friday, January 21, 2005 - 02:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I glue too ! i feel that a nice scale model needs no moving parts at all ,it really doesnt

Me too. I figure the fewer things that can move, the fewer things that can break. I glue it all down, turret, wheels, gun, hatches, everything.

Now, if you feel the need to leave it free to elevate, then a counterweight is the way to go. If there is an interior representation of the breech, just hang a little lead off that. If not, make a rod out of sprue, attach it securely to the inside of the rotor and then add the weights to the back of the rod to balance things.

Paul
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Armorama: 4,258 posts
Posted: Friday, January 21, 2005 - 02:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I always glue mine in place

Quoted Text

I glue mine too

Quoted Text

I glue too

Same here, you'll probably agree with me that the likes of AFV had better spend money and effort on research and detail than moving barrels... I never understood the need for the recoil action of the M18. I'd rather they put some decent tracks in the box.....

Cheers
Henk
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Friday, January 21, 2005 - 06:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

[Same here, you'll probably agree with me that the likes of AFV had better spend money and effort on research and detail than moving barrels... I never understood the need for the recoil action of the M18. I'd rather they put some decent tracks in the box.....

Cheers
Henk

I I agree Henk, I've just finished the "Achilles", and that darned spring made it very difficult to close the breech parts together properly. The tracks were good mouldings and I like the material -they were just 1/2" too short!
 _GOTOTOP