Hosted by Darren Baker
Big Shot Pt 4
Teacher
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,924 posts
Armorama: 3,679 posts
Posted: Friday, January 21, 2005 - 12:37 PM UTC
Finished the engine and cab, moving on to the rest of the front, when I'll attempt to model the hood up. I gave the inside of the cab a basecoat of nato black, then a misting of very light olive drab, with some brown mixed in. Then an overall coat of satin, decals for the data plates on the dash. I punched the dials from paper, gloss coat for the glass. I ran some very dilute wash of burnt umber oil around everything, then detail painting, seats and gear lever, and then drybrushed with humbrol matt black. Any comments are welcome.

Vinnie

DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Friday, January 21, 2005 - 12:56 PM UTC
I made this truck when it was first released - it's a good model. You're making a darned fine job of it - look forward to seeing it completed.
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Friday, January 21, 2005 - 01:44 PM UTC
Vinnie as Dave said you are doing a fantastic job of her so I am going to nit pic just a little without meaning any offence at all to anyone especially you.

Brake pedals.......drybrush a little silver or light grey on them to make it look as if the driver has been working the pedals. Same with the clutch pedal. Not much but a little.

same goes to the gear. handbrake and winch levers. Just where the drivers hand would hold them.

also you need to show paint wear on the little upstand in the doorway. A lot on the passenger side almost none on the drivers side because of the spare wheel.

you are doing well mate can't wait to see the next update.

cheers
Cliff
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,352 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 01:30 AM UTC
Vinnie , are you saying you made these speedometer, and other gauges from paper, then covered them with a gloss coat for glass, that is mighty impressive.

I wished there was a place that sold them, cause they really set off a model. That way people like me, that don't have the equipment to make things like this would have the chance to do good work just like you someday.

Kerry
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 04:18 AM UTC
You are doing a superb job on this build. the dash is very convincing. I like your weathering and have to say that this is one of the nicest build I have seen. Looking forward to more photos.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 04:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I wished there was a place that sold them, cause they really set off a model. That way people like me, that don't have the equipment to make things like this would have the chance to do good work just like you someday.

Kerry

BTW, Eduard PE sets for the Dodge trucks (and most of the other sets as well) include nice dials printed on film...Another option is to use aftermarket 1/32 or 1/48 decals designed for airplane instrument boards. Some fit the bill quite nicely...

Frenchy
Slug
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 705 posts
Armorama: 505 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 06:36 AM UTC
VERY convincing interior work Vinnie. I look forward to seeing more progress on this baby!

Bruce
Teacher
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 07:46 AM UTC
Kerry, the faces for the dials on the dash are paper. I scanned in the little square of dials that comes with the Dragon 251 kits and printed it out. This way I can produce any size. I then used a punch to seperate from the paper, mounted it, a drop of Gloss clear on top, and it's done!

Vinnie
WeWillHold
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,314 posts
Armorama: 1,905 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 09:32 AM UTC
Vinnie

Wow--- the dash---it looks real!!! Nough said. Please keep us posted.

Steve
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 04:35 PM UTC
I bought one of these, all in one printer scanner, flat bed models, back when I was still working, and I bought it from HSC, so I had no idea when the ink ran out it would cost over 70 bucks to replace each cartridge. They made it sound so cheap when I bought it, and now hardly nobody carries the cartridges cause they cost so much, they are super hard to find.

But when I bought it, they said K-mart sold them, so I figured they got to be cheap, but they don't no more.
I think maybe this is what broke them LOL.
Teacher
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 07:28 PM UTC
Kerry, the phrase, 'Jack of al trades, Master of none' applies to those all in one printer/scanners. I bought an Epson Poto stylus 1290 ages ago, quite simply 'cos they're the best on the market, for the money. The scanner is HP, 'cos they make the best, and the laser printer is Samsung, 'cos that was the cheapest! The printer cartridges over here for the Epson are £27 or thereabouts, but compatibles from a computer fair are £15 for 3 sets!
When buying things like printers, the price of consumables has to be taken into account. Epson are the only ones that don't replace the printer head every time a new cartridge is fitted, hence cheap compatible cartridges.

Vinnie
mikeli125
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 2,595 posts
Armorama: 1,209 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 07:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I bought one of these, all in one printer scanner, flat bed models, back when I was still working, and I bought it from HSC, so I had no idea when the ink ran out it would cost over 70 bucks to replace each cartridge. They made it sound so cheap when I bought it, and now hardly nobody carries the cartridges cause they cost so much, they are super hard to find.

But when I bought it, they said K-mart sold them, so I figured they got to be cheap, but they don't no more.
I think maybe this is what broke them LOL.

Kerry,
You can buy ink re-fill kiits cheap enough this allows you to do it at home or there are places that re=fill your cartridges for you cheaper than buying a new one.

Vinnie,
looking better very time I see it cant fault it at all

straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Monday, January 24, 2005 - 09:50 AM UTC
I got a Sharp AJ-5030, and I used to be bugged by these ink places telling me how they can save me money by buying their stuff, so I told them what I had and told them give me a price, and wouldn't you know, I never heard from them again.

I did find a couple places, after many hours of searching, but like I said, this is the odd ball of them all, and at the time, if I had any idea it would be like this, I never would of bought it.

Nobody keeps the cartriges on hand cause they cost so much, and these are so dried out now, I don't know if they can be revived.
 _GOTOTOP