Hosted by Darren Baker
Roo's Heavy Hauler - UPDATE 3
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Friday, January 21, 2005 - 04:49 PM UTC
well a little bit more done. Starting to look like a truck now.

headlights are from the Tamiya GMC kit apart from that most other stuff is scratch built including the wheels which I made one and then cast the rest in resin.

Any comments or nitpicks are welcome.

more photos can be found here
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/photos/showgallery.php?cat=13896&ppuser=1363&password=&page=1
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Friday, January 21, 2005 - 06:19 PM UTC
Howdy 'Roo,

Had to go out and do some 'family' stuff, but as promised stopped back by to check out your Heavy Hauler Progress and Man! am I glad I did!

I'm away a little over a week and apparently I've missed quite a bit of progress. Looked back at the old posts and found your "Update #2", and then found this one....I also looked through your album photos to catch up.

Before I post any comments I must admit to being even more full of questions. You've just got to more fully expand on precisely how you went about building the bonnet for this truck. The hood was what really looked to be one of the more difficult parts of the truck to scratch, and what do you do? You made it look like childs play!
Come on 'Roo......give us a wee class would ya?

Tread.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Friday, January 21, 2005 - 06:40 PM UTC
Looking good so far Cliff.
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Friday, January 21, 2005 - 07:08 PM UTC
Oh boy. You've been complimentary about my efforts in the past Cliff, but I can never seem to get curves right, and the detail such as rivets on the box straps & hinges etc. They are the kind of details that turn a model into a great model and you always seem to get it just right.

I really am looking forward to seeing this complete - it's the kind of build that seperates a modeller from a kit-basher like me!

andy007
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,088 posts
Armorama: 1,257 posts
Posted: Friday, January 21, 2005 - 07:56 PM UTC
Cliff it is looking amazing can't wait to see it with paint on.
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Friday, January 21, 2005 - 08:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Howdy 'Roo,

Before I post any comments I must admit to being even more full of questions. You've just got to more fully expand on precisely how you went about building the bonnet for this truck. The hood was what really looked to be one of the more difficult parts of the truck to scratch, and what do you do? You made it look like childs play!
Come on 'Roo......give us a wee class would ya?

Tread.

Tread once the size & shape was worked out from photos the rest was easy. Got even easier after rebuilding it twice to get it right :-) :-) :-)

I will try and do a step by step on this little bit of the fun in the next few weeks.

Quoted Text

I really am looking forward to seeing this complete - it's the kind of build that seperates a modeller from a kit-basher like me!

LOL you are probably a more versatile modeler then me Dave because of the wide variety of things you turn your hand to.

Thanks for your comments guys I appreciate them:-H
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 04:15 AM UTC
You can now see how much work it has taken to get this from paper to reality. It is shaping up very nicely Cliff. Can't wait to see it finished.
jRatz
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,171 posts
Armorama: 541 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 02:05 PM UTC
'Roo:

How did you do those hinges on the supply box ???

John
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Saturday, January 22, 2005 - 02:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

'Roo:

John

they are two small strips of 10thou plastic card with a piece of brass wire between them to act as the hinge . Then I just put some grandt line rivit heads on to act as the bolts and on the lock a 'u' shaped piece of very light wire to act as the pin to hold the lock shut. Once painted you will not tell them from the genuine thing.

Cheers
Cliff
jRatz
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,171 posts
Armorama: 541 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 01:46 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

'Roo:

John

they are two small strips of 10thou plastic card with a piece of brass wire between them to act as the hinge . Then I just put some grandt line rivit heads on to act as the bolts and on the lock a 'u' shaped piece of very light wire to act as the pin to hold the lock shut. Once painted you will not tell them from the genuine thing.

Cheers
Cliff

I'm still puzzled -- I understand everything but "two small strips of 10thou plastic card with a piece of brass wire between them to act as the hinge", which of course is the whole point.

Do you heat shrink the card around the brass or what -- I just don't understand the very obvious but neat hinge sticking up there ie, the little "o" thingie below.....
o--
|

John, who will have to go experiment .... or have another beer to improve his vision
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Sunday, January 23, 2005 - 02:05 PM UTC
John I will draw a diagram in the next few days but I did not heat anyplastic up, just using CA glue to put the wire hinge in.
 _GOTOTOP