Softskins group discussions.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M-275A2 tractor started
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 29, 2005 - 06:04 AM UTC
I have just started on another M-275 A2 series tractor. I have a couple of different trailers in mind to scratch build for this one.
This one starts out as the M-35A1 AFV Club kit. I shorten the chassis at the rear and build the cab portion as per instructions. I have to fabricate a new fuel tank and have filled in the air tanks so that you can not see the open gap in the back. This will be a the winch version of the A2.
MMcLean
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 348 posts
Armorama: 258 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 29, 2005 - 10:44 AM UTC
Looks good Dave. Reminds me of the M35 I gotta finish. Real clean build, cant find any mistakes so far.

Keep us posted on progress

Matt
Slug
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 705 posts
Armorama: 505 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 29, 2005 - 12:30 PM UTC
Nice Start there Dave, clean build, that baby looks like it could plow through anything. I've never done any modern stuff, what's the rating of this truck (ton wise)?It's interesting to see how the differentials are turn sideways, must be hard to check the oil level :-) :-) .
BTW I like your paint brush holder, I may just steel your idea.

Bruce
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 29, 2005 - 12:46 PM UTC
Dave,

You may need to start Buying the M35's by the case!!!!!
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 29, 2005 - 12:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

what's the rating of this truck (ton wise)?

Slug,
It is the tractor version of the M35 2 1/2 ton truck.
Paul
Visit this Community
Kharkiv, Ukraine / Україна
KitMaker: 705 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 29, 2005 - 02:20 PM UTC
Looking forward to seeing another one of your trailers Dave. Since I am not very familiar with American trucks, I have a question. The rearmost axle has an extension of the drive shaft - now answer me this - are there any trailers (is the truck even designed with this in mind) that have driven axles that would hook up into the last axle and make the truck more than 6 wheel drive?
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 29, 2005 - 03:07 PM UTC
I thought I would post a few more progress shots before bed.

Quoted Text

You may need to start Buying the M35's by the case!!!!!

I do !

Quoted Text

Looking forward to seeing another one of your trailers Dave. Since I am not very familiar with American trucks, I have a question. The rearmost axle has an extension of the drive shaft - now answer me this - are there any trailers (is the truck even designed with this in mind) that have driven axles that would hook up into the last axle and make the truck more than 6 wheel drive?

I think that the red thing is an extension for connecting a PTO of some sorts. I not really sure as we never hauled anything with these trucks that required it.

Quoted Text

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nice Start there Dave, clean build, that baby looks like it could plow through anything. I've never done any modern stuff, what's the rating of this truck (ton wise)?It's interesting to see how the differentials are turn sideways, must be hard to check the oil level .
BTW I like your paint brush holder, I may just steel your idea.

What Gino said this is a tractor variations of the M-35 2 1/2 ton cargo truck.

The brush holder is real easy to make. I used a thick piece of plastic stock and a bunch of eye screws.
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,352 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 29, 2005 - 04:09 PM UTC
Looks really good Dave, what I was wanting to know did AFV Club put in the brake canister's and slack adjuster's for your Mack there.
Kerry
 _GOTOTOP