Hosted by Darren Baker
Roo's Heavy Hauler - UPDATE 4
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 03, 2005 - 11:40 AM UTC
well another update and the last until I finish this beasty. Truck is almost finished apart from paint and the trailer hook up. The windscreen frame is hand made out of brass and the bonnet (hood) is just sitting in place as it will be displayed with the bonnet (hood) up. Still to fit are the front bumper and headlights. Canvas is my usual piece of material soaked with CA glue and then once dry coated with PVA (white glue) and painted.

The trailer is under construction and I still have the sides to do and all the fiddly brake bits underneath.

the trailer is only proped up for the photos and is not finished.

like normal any comments or nit picks are welcomed.

lots more pics at https://armorama.kitmaker.net/photos/showgallery.php?cat=13896&ppuser=1363&password=&page=1

thanks for looking
Cliff
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
Armorama: 1,319 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 03, 2005 - 12:00 PM UTC
lookin good as always mr.roo
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 03, 2005 - 01:13 PM UTC
Yes, yes, yes, this is what I like to see! This is going to be a super example by the Roo Master!
andy007
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,088 posts
Armorama: 1,257 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 03, 2005 - 03:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

like normal any comments or nit picks are welcomed.

Cliff are you serious?.................nit picks!!!!!!!! This thing is turning out very very nice I can't wait to see it finished.
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 6,871 posts
Armorama: 2,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 03, 2005 - 05:55 PM UTC
well what to say ? My show case is still having open space for u boy !!!! Finish and send !!! Just brilliant !!!!
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 03, 2005 - 06:14 PM UTC
As good as usual Cliff. Looks strange to see it in in gloss finish even when you know it's still work in progress! I really look forward to seeing it finished.
sas
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 256 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 03, 2005 - 06:16 PM UTC
Yes Cliff, this one will be very unique,one doesn`t see too many models of the semi supply trucks. It will be
special,lovely work!
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Thursday, February 03, 2005 - 06:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks strange to see it in in gloss finish even when you know it's still work in progress! .

yes it is funny and a bit of a curse at times as it takes longer to dry. But this is a special mix I do using Humbrol paints to get pre 1942 Aussie bronze green and the paint is only availiable in gloss

thanks for the comments guys
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 03, 2005 - 07:09 PM UTC
Looks good you old double-clutchin' demon.... :-) :-) :-) :-)
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,352 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 03, 2005 - 09:00 PM UTC
Cliff everything looks pretty good, the only thing that seems strange to me is the shackles to the springs on the trailer, they are so big and square, and I don't remember ever seeing a set like this.

Course there is a lot of older sets I've never seen, and probably they looked this way, on some other trailers. But I've got a picture of the first Fruehauf made in 1914, and the shackles look thinner and curved on it, but then again every trailer is different.

I can't wait to see your brake job, to see if it will help mine any.
Kerry
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Thursday, February 03, 2005 - 09:32 PM UTC
Kerry here is a pic of the real thing. This also shows some of the brake set up as well.

hope this helps
WeWillHold
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,314 posts
Armorama: 1,905 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 03, 2005 - 11:38 PM UTC
Brother Pouch, aka "Da Aussie Hound"

"Impressive" has become the norm for you on these scratch builds. Love the detail pic of the motor. Being able to compare your scratch leaf's to a pic of the real thing is a real testimony to your accuracy and building skills. Just out of curiousity, about how many softskins have you scratched over your modeling career, (and when can I come see them???

Steve
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,352 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Friday, February 04, 2005 - 12:55 AM UTC
You see where they started out with a lot thinner shackle, then welded another support beam to it, that doesn't go all the way down. That is the same way on the front of my own trailer, they welded in extra supports on the front axle to when I drop off air on my back axle to give the front more support to hold all the extra weight.

So they probably figure this needed more support, cause that looks like after market, cause it is different style.

Now for the brake set up, all I can see in that picture is the release valve, with a hose leading to the wheel, and the wheels have backing plates, so you cant see anything else there either.

You can't see either brake chamber, or slack adjuster, or cam going to the wheel, to how they are mounted.
We know the slack adjusters haft to be mounted to the axle, in order for them to work properly to the wheel.

Now if that photographer would of been in another 3', you might of been able to see just how everything is hooked up, but isn't every picture this way, they show just enough so you can't see how it is.
Kerry
jRatz
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,171 posts
Armorama: 541 posts
Posted: Friday, February 04, 2005 - 03:22 PM UTC
'Roo:

SIGH !!!

Wow !!! I've spent some time going thru the Gallery pic by pic, focusing on the detail in the springs, axles (drain plug in the housing!), and engine. Not only is the detail superb, your sense of proportion of the parts, even where tiny, adds to the quality.

I initially had some issues with the cab, mostly the windscreen, but after many comparisons to the actual pictures, I can see where you captured the kinda pinched shape accurately !!!

So, now I have to go back to my workbench, look at my meager efforts, and know that you are the artist & I am at fingerpaint level (of course apologizing to all kids who fingerpaint well).

Can I surmise that the rod running back along the tractor driveshaft is a brake rod, not a brake line, and thus the rear brakes are mechanical ?

Great job !!!!

John

MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Friday, February 04, 2005 - 05:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

'Roo:

SIGH !!!

Can I surmise that the rod running back along the tractor driveshaft is a brake rod, not a brake line, and thus the rear brakes are mechanical ?

Great job !!!!

John

John I am sorry but you assumed wrong my friend. It is the mechanical linkage to change speeds in the two speed diff (back axle). I have yet to add the rear brake lines.

The AIF went to this two speed axle as a standard fitting to all trucks at this time, hense it is not the typical Ford split diff.

Thanks for your comments also as they are welcomed coming from you as looking at your CMP gun portee build you are as good as me if not better. In fact it was the detail of your build that made me determined to add more detail to this one.

cheers
Cliff
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 6,405 posts
Armorama: 1,850 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 05, 2005 - 01:44 AM UTC
nice photos for great progress again. this will be another masterpiece ...congrats big bro
what you have done in the lower part of trailer is fantastic.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 05, 2005 - 03:22 AM UTC

"........ double-clutchin' demon........."

Hey Grumpy, I kinda like that moniker for our good Mr. Roo......but there's a query for ya, how many of us out there remember when you had to double -clutch to properly drive a vehicle?......hmmmmm?
I'm raising my hand......

O.K. Cliff, another 'stunner in progress' my 160 pound piece of dingo bait! As has already been said, your attention to detail (and your uncanny ability to find ref photos of such ancient vehicles) is simply bar-setting.
I must admit tho', the glossy paint job on the vehicle at this point makes me think of the old lead truck toys I used to play with as a small child.....remember those?

And, if you want "nits", the only one I can find is this; My first impression when I saw the sixth picture down was.......Skateboard.
:-)

Keep up the great work pard',

Tread.
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Saturday, February 05, 2005 - 11:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

O.K. Cliff, another 'stunner in progress' my 160 pound piece of dingo bait! As has already been said, your attention to detail (and your uncanny ability to find ref photos of such ancient vehicles) is simply bar-setting.
I must admit tho', the glossy paint job on the vehicle at this point makes me think of the old lead truck toys I used to play with as a small child.....remember those?

And, if you want "nits", the only one I can find is this; My first impression when I saw the sixth picture down was.......Skateboard.
:-)

Keep up the great work pard',

Tread.

Thank you Gordon and yes I do remember the old toys. Also you are right the trailer at this stage does look like a skateboard. LOL :-)
 _GOTOTOP