Softskins group discussions.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Commo trailer update 1
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 03, 2005 - 01:20 PM UTC
Here are the pieces of the communications trailer that will be hauled by the M275 tractor. The switch board and generator room are scratch built and kit bashed parts. The switchboard is a total scratch. The generator room is a combination of scratch and parts bin pieces. The trailer body is fabricated from pieces of the shelter parts from the Italeri M-925 kit and scratch from evergreen plastic stock.

Here is a direct link to in progress photos https://armorama.kitmaker.net/photos/showgallery.php?cat=14115&ppuser=1742
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
Armorama: 1,319 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 03, 2005 - 01:32 PM UTC
holy smokes does that look awsome! EXCELLENT detail animal...phew
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 03, 2005 - 02:03 PM UTC
now that looks real good Dave. Attention to detail is awesome. I think this is some of your most detailed work yet and also your best!
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 03, 2005 - 02:25 PM UTC
Dave looks great as usual. I love the recycled M113 engine parts for the generator. Trailer box from Italeri shelter is great too, I may have to do that too. I have a couple sitting around with no clue what I was going to do with them.

Good job.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 03, 2005 - 03:12 PM UTC
Wow -nice scratch. Great creativity.
Question - would they have left the fuel cans in with the generator?
How about a funnel to fill the tank?
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 03, 2005 - 03:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow -nice scratch. Great creativity.
Question - would they have left the fuel cans in with the generator?
How about a funnel to fill the tank?

The fuel tank is on the outside front of the trailer. The old diesel generators used a lot of oil so we had the fuel cans full of it. Thanks for the tip on the funnel. I will have add one for sure. I have a lot more to do to this. I have to run the electrical conduit to the main compartment for the communications gear. and wall plugs. We had a trailer something like this in my unit for the first telephone exchange before the automated system was installed. I am going on vague memory and a few photos of the M-373 trailer.

Quoted Text

now that looks real good Dave. Attention to detail is awesome. I think this is some of your most detailed work yet and also your best!

Thanks Cliff. Means a lot coming from you Mate.

Thanks Gino and Shain. I have a lot of these shelters taking up space and I was running out of the correct thickness plastic stock to build the trailer body so I thought that I would try them. I like the looks.
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 03, 2005 - 06:09 PM UTC
Awesome, simple awesome. No other words for it. Great detail and recycling in one model!
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,416 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, February 04, 2005 - 04:04 AM UTC
I know zip about this Dave but, everything that you show here just amazes me both in output and quality! I for one look forward to your postings.
Slug
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 705 posts
Armorama: 505 posts
Posted: Friday, February 04, 2005 - 07:41 AM UTC
I really like what you've done here Dave, lots of detail , the warning label on the wall is a nice touch. Not positive on what is what here, is the dark bottle on the end, the actual generator and the rest is the diesel motor? Or is everything combined in the "box"?
Another nice touch here, could be a clip board hanging on the wall, these things get routine maintenance quite frequently and often records are kept close at hand, you might also think about a battery for the motor.
The switchboard looks great, I picture Lilly Tomlin from "laugh In" sitting there talking here face off:-) :-)

You've got some great scratch building talent here

Bruce
 _GOTOTOP