_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
My first diorama is ...... ready!!!!
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 2,029 posts
Armorama: 822 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 01:58 AM UTC
At last, it is finished and I have also put it in my first contest.

No prices won, but a lot of fun and tips

Unfortunately my camera was busted so I was not able to take pictures of it but thanks to Theo Naus I have 2 pictures to show you.

On Tuesday my daughter came to me and said that she still had a couple of pictures left on here camera from the holiday’s and asked me if I could use them, MAN, I could strangle here
I have taken pictures myself now and I hop to put them on the net on Sunday, but I hope you like these until then.

#:-)
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 02:13 AM UTC

Quoted Text

but I hope you like these until then

Sure do Ronny, Sure Do !!

Specially like your rocks and the forrest debree on the ground. nice detail that little pile of logs there !!

Maybe you didn't win this time, but since it's your first effort and the quality is mighty fine already....... you'll get the prizes in the (near) future !

Keep up the good work ! and.....enjoy
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 02:34 AM UTC
I like it too Ronny - keep up the good work - you're already a winner!

Gunnie
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,312 posts
Armorama: 1,054 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 03:17 AM UTC
Really nice! Need more pictures! More, more, more!
ShermanSam
Visit this Community
Drenthe, Netherlands
KitMaker: 136 posts
Armorama: 105 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 04:10 AM UTC
keep on the good work!!!
it is a beuty.

how did you made the rocks??

greets Sander 'ShermanSam'
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 04:14 AM UTC
Very nice layout Ronny. I too like the boulders and debris. Do you have a title for yet? Like "Wrong Turn"? The guys look a little lost.
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 04:15 AM UTC
IIRC, those were real rocks, weren't they? How heavy is it, Ronny? Looks really good. I like the fallen trees and other debris.

Nic
parrot
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,607 posts
Armorama: 1,581 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 04:17 AM UTC
very nice.for your first atempt you are well ahead of the game .i'm willing to bet you learned a lot doing this one and the next will be even better.
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 05:34 AM UTC
Thanks for the kind words, I am blushing over here.

The final title of this pieces: "Searge, I think we should have turned left!"

The rocks are real rocks, but I painted everything, at first it turned out bleu/gray (see my website) and I was not to happy with it so I airbrushed each rock individual and put several washes from black to white on them, to give me some color variation, I think I used about a dozen color mixes for the washes alone.

The weight is surprisingly low (considering I used real stone), it is about 2,7 Kg

More pictures are comming.

sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 08:45 AM UTC
Great job Ronny. Strange you did not win must have been some killer dios at this show I would say yours should have placed. (:-)
crismag
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
KitMaker: 280 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 08:59 AM UTC
nice lookin dio ron! congratulations! to us here your a winner
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
KitMaker: 1,796 posts
Armorama: 1,207 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 09:28 AM UTC
Great work Ronnie. If you didn't win you should have. You're a talented guy.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 04:57 PM UTC
For a first dio, this is exceptional. Great colours and and the foilage and rocks definately look the part. Its something you should be very proud of. But that is not what my critic is about. Its more about the layout.
I saw this earlier today and the point came into my head but, I thought Id say nothing as I myself know the feeling when you´ve just completed something, the last thing you want is for somebody to knock it. That was until I read your comment

Quoted Text

I also have to agree Jim,

I must say, I feel flatered that I get so many "good job" responces, and I know at least a dozen things I could do better, but I wonder if people are not to afraid to give (positive) remaks. I know I won't mind getting them.

So, hopefully you take this the right way. It is only my personal opinionand I only want to help and bring this into consideration. My first two dios didnt end up the way I planned [so you could say Im talking from experience ;-)]. I built them for different vehicles, but when I fitted the vehicles, they looked too big and hid too much of what I wanted to show. So I built something else to fit better. What I see in yours is the opposite. The jeep and trailer look so small in the middle of all that bush. ( maybe this is what you wanted to achieve). There seems to be so much room for something else, maybe a sniper or a crashed vehicle etc.
Just something that came into my head and I thought Id share to help hopefully!!!! #:-)
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 04:57 PM UTC
For a first dio, this is exceptional. Great colours and and the foilage and rocks definately look the part. Its something you should be very proud of. But that is not what my critic is about. Its more about the layout.
I saw this earlier today and the point came into my head but, I thought Id say nothing as I myself know the feeling when you´ve just completed something, the last thing you want is for somebody to knock it. That was until I read your comment

Quoted Text

I also have to agree Jim,

I must say, I feel flatered that I get so many "good job" responces, and I know at least a dozen things I could do better, but I wonder if people are not to afraid to give (positive) remaks. I know I won't mind getting them.

So, hopefully you take this the right way. It is only my personal opinionand I only want to help and bring this into consideration. My first two dios didnt end up the way I planned [so you could say Im talking from experience ;-)]. I built them for different vehicles, but when I fitted the vehicles, they looked too big and hid too much of what I wanted to show. So I built something else to fit better. What I see in yours is the opposite. The jeep and trailer look so small in the middle of all that bush. ( maybe this is what you wanted to achieve). There seems to be so much room for something else, maybe a sniper or a crashed vehicle etc.
Just something that came into my head and I thought Id share to help hopefully!!!! #:-)
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 06:20 PM UTC
Hello Plastic battle,

Tnx for the reply, and no I don't mind the remark

I know that the jeep looks tiny in comparison to the dio (in the first planning there was not even a trailer), but, like you imagined, this is a little bit on purpose. I wanted to get the sense of a) wilderness and b) being lost across .

Learning about composition and lay-out is part of dio making and I still need to learn a lot, your right. I have put the jeep off center on purpose to create a off balance scene, I thought that my backdrop scenery and trees would balance it out again, maybe not, I look at it again.

I also thought about putting a sniper or some debris on it but after putting a couple of things together they were giving to much distraction and losing the point of this dio (being lost on account of a searge whom always knows best).
I also was looking for a mountain goat on 1/35 to put in, but believe it or not ... you can't find them #:-).

That's why I choose to make the scenery as diverse as possible (with my skill's ) and tried to get distraction in the trees (fallen timber) and the flowers.

This project is no way perfect and even I think that a lot could have been done different (read better), but I must say after 4-5 months working on it and learning, I am proud
:-)

Plastic battle, please don’t think that I am attacking you now, because of your respond, I am not, I just like to discuss this and learn this way

See ye
#:-)
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 08:10 PM UTC
Hi Ronny
You should be proud, I love the Dio. I would be proud of it if it were mine.
I know you´re not attacking me.......... I only gave my first impression but I did realise that maybe that was what you were after

Quoted Text

The jeep and trailer look so small in the middle of all that bush. ( maybe this is what you wanted to achieve).

For me, I would want something more. If there was some cut logs there must be some sign of life.... maybe a little wooden cottage.
But that is me. And I make my dios MY WAY, so don´t think Im preaching to you on how to make yours. All the best for now.
Im working on an article for here, which I should have something in the next week or so. It may help with some ideas
Roadkill
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
Posted: Thursday, September 12, 2002 - 08:25 PM UTC
Hi Plasticbattle,

I was reading your last post and looking at my dio at the same time, and now I understand wat you mean.

I have put cut logs in there but that is the only clue that there is life, yes, there should have been a litle more (like tools, etc...). Something to look out for on the next project.

Thanks my modeling friend
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,586 posts
Armorama: 1,225 posts
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2002 - 03:09 AM UTC
Sure looks better than MY first diorama! Nice job.
Eagle
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2002 - 03:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Take my advise and get yourself a decent mentor to learn you how to do things and learn it step by step. Don't build a diorama if you even can't build a decent model

I'm sorry Mr Viper USA, but I don't agree with you on this one. Whatever the possible improvents on the dio, the model is ok as far as I can see. You are right to state the possible improvements, but I'd hoped that you could help us out with a lecture on HOW to improve it rather than just nuking the attempt. I hoped your experience as being a jury member could help us to improve things.

May be you can show us some of your stuff, so we can learn from the master himself ? Love to see your work...
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2002 - 03:48 AM UTC
To: Viper_USA (from The Netherlands??)

There was nothing "constructive" about your first post here. In fact you seemed to go out of your way to insult his work. While (as I am sure he will agree) his first diorama is not perfect your comments did nothing to really help him improve his next one.

Sadly I smell a less than sincere reason on your part in posting that remark. As it looked like English is not your native tongue, I would hope that this was merely a "bad translation" on your part. If you'd like to post something in Dutch (sorry no French forums yet) please do so in our Dutch forum. Perhaps then you can add something a little more constructive to the discussion.

We are trying to build things here. Not tear them down.

Cheers,
Jim
Eagle
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2002 - 03:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

......thanks Jim !! I couldn't have said it better !.
Viper_USA
Visit this Community
Netherlands
KitMaker: 1 posts
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2002 - 04:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

There was nothing "constructive" about your first post here.

First: I am sorry if I offended mr. Roadkill, that is not my intention, but merely to tell my honest opinion of his work.

Mr. Jim, I must disagree, my comments where in fact very constructive in the sense that I want him to take a step back from what he has build and look at it again and see what went wrong.
Therefore it is sometimes necessary to tear it down so it can be build again.

I stand by my remarks that it is not fit to enter "any" competition, because he made some very basic errors, for that I don't apologize.

My work, Mr. Eagle, can be seen, I am in the progress of building a suitable website and I will e-mail you when it is ready.

This forum says that any opinion counts, but it seems that not negative opinion can be said.

Btw I live in Belgium but am Dutch born (hence the flag).

I think that Roadkill could be a good builder, but he still needs to learn a lot
Eagle
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2002 - 04:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think that Roadkill could be a good builder, but he still needs to learn a lot

Don't we all ??

Quoted Text

This forum says that any opinion counts, but it seems that not negative opinion can be said

Wrong, also negitive reactions count, as long as they are constructive..... And what's the most important thing about our hobby anyway?? I think it's thet we enjoy ourselves ... Ronny sure did and I can't blame him. He made a beautiful dio.....maybe not in your eyes, but as long as ronny himself and others love it...... it's a welcome add to any competition or site !!

staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2002 - 04:33 AM UTC
Viper_USA,
Well I guess if you are sincere in trying to provide some constructive and productive comments, I apologize if I over-reacted by removing your original post. I have been on the Internet for a long time and ussually when someone pops up out of no-where (meaning they have never posted here before) and post a negative sounding post right off the bat, then that user is ussually not interested in "the community", but their own ego and to start flame-wars. This site (as you will note) doesn't have flame-wars. Not because I run around deleting posts (your's was the first I had deleted in months), but because we try to treat each other with respect.

As I said prior to this, perhaps it was just your choice of words (and not your intentions) that were questionable.

Quoted Text

Couldn't we all?

Cheers,
Jim
vlady
Visit this Community
Bucuresti, Romania
KitMaker: 534 posts
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2002 - 05:02 AM UTC
what are the trees made of? i haven't built a dio but i'm first searching for information
 _GOTOTOP