_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Resin Accessories. What do you like .......
Deacon
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 45 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2002 - 03:59 AM UTC
What accessories do you like to use? (Other than figures)

Oil drums?
Back packs?
bags ?
tarps?
etc....?

What do you like to use the most or what do you think is lacking for the modeler in this area?

Thanks
Deacon
:-)
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,586 posts
Armorama: 1,225 posts
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2002 - 05:08 AM UTC
Another nice item to strap onto your armor is personal items like Helments, rifles, and even spare boots! And of course, any Sherman tank worth it's bolts that roled through occupied territory was going to "find" a few crates of wine, fruit, and cheese... all of which needs to be strapped down with belts or cables.
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 876 posts
Armorama: 606 posts
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2002 - 05:16 AM UTC
I like things like LAWs,RPGs,ammo cans and such. along with the usual bedrolls and such.Israeli vehicles tend to be overloaded with the stuff.

Josh Weingarten
aKa shiryon
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
Armorama: 2,070 posts
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2002 - 06:09 AM UTC
Ammo cans, and spent shell (main gun) casings

weapons and personal gear to a lesser extent but if I'm going to add personal gear, I mostly use things I could expect to see piled up together, like a whole set of webbing, not just a pouch and butt-pack.
my main gripe here is that most of these things are molded completely flat on the back, requiring me to do the extra work to add the strapping so it has some reasonable way to be expected to stay attached to the vertical side of a tank or APC.

Also like smaller items, clips to hold maps in place, coverless canteens, binoculars.. stuff that makes a scene personal

Mike
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,411 posts
Armorama: 609 posts
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2002 - 06:25 AM UTC
Deacon,
Check out the million or so reference books out there. Tank and tankers have a tendency to pick up "stuff" along the way. American tankers seemed to go out of their way to collect stuff.
Remember less is more.
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 2,605 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Friday, September 13, 2002 - 06:46 AM UTC
I have just replaced the kit .50 cal on my Tamiya 1/35th Pershing with a resin Verlinden .50. I will probably do this religously from now on. The difference is like night and day. I am about to try my first resin conversion. I purchased the Verlinden conversion set for the Tamiya 1/35th Schwimmwagen. I also use packs, ammo containers and field gear in resin from various manufacturers. One company that is new on the scene is Plus Models. The do some really nice stuff. I highly recommend it.
herberta
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 939 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 14, 2002 - 05:33 AM UTC
Hi Deacon

I usually add homemade bedrolls and tarps to Allied WW2 kits.
For German armor I damage or remove at least part of the fenders on Pz III-IV variants.

I enjoy adding lots of goodies to softskins including personal gear, weapons etc from the spares box.

Jaguar make some nice items like personal gear and tunics in resin to place on vehicles or dioramas. Unfortunately, they only have German WW2 stuff.

Cheers
Andy
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,289 posts
Armorama: 1,231 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 14, 2002 - 11:17 PM UTC
I have this thing with ammo boxes...
Maybe it's because I served in an ammo company... maybe it's because they are so easy to make in large quantities with resin casting.

There's a big difference between dioramas showing military in peace time and those showing war time : in peace time you'll rarely see wielding weapons like LAW, grenades, and any other than personal weapons... except during field exercise or on the target range. On daily business, peacetime soldiers don't wear helmets either.

Jan
r19f
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 63 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 06:07 AM UTC
i have to agree with mld but this is what buggs me the model companys spend vast amounts of time and mony on research and photos of kit. but thay forget the kit thay see is in a museum and it is clean and not in a service unit ie: the real world now if thay go that little bit further and ask the right peoplel we might not be haveing this debate

and there endith the lecture
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 07:55 AM UTC
Have to go with more in the line of personal items like backpacks and helmets. Never can get enough of this stuff. Bedrolls and tarapaulins I make myself. Have built Tamiyas M4 sherman recently and they have supplied loads of stowage with the kit. Hopefuly more kits came with the same!
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,933 posts
Armorama: 985 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 08:08 PM UTC
Every kit i make has either a .50, .30, 34 or a 42 but never any Ammo belts I scratchbuilt some once for amark4 but it was teious and never looked very convincing.
herberta
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 939 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 10:27 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Every kit i make has either a .50, .30, 34 or a 42 but never any Ammo belts I scratchbuilt some once for amark4 but it was teious and never looked very convincing

Hi Johnny

There are a few kits with small stretches of ammo belt, although they are always full, not empty for the old cloth belts. Andrea make some German WW2 MG belts in metal. I don't know if they are any good, but they are out there!

Cheers
Andy
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,933 posts
Armorama: 985 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 02:44 AM UTC
cheers Andy thanks for the info . :-)
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 07:44 AM UTC
Gama Goat in 1/35 scale plastic. Plus real good leaves in 1/35 scale in plastic. Good trees also more Russian figures in plastic. The Russian 203 MM Artillery piece in plastic.that is enough for know (:-)
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 08:27 PM UTC
Jeffry, you've got a very interesting shopping list there ! Many items I'd love to get, too.
Maybe one of those producers is reading your mail... you never know !

Jan
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 08:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

real good leaves in 1/35 scale in plastic

YES !

Finding nice leaves is still a big problem. I'm wondering why they can't be produced as individual leaves that can be glued to the branches. Why not in paper ofr thin plastic ?
They need not even be colored : most experienced modelers spraypaint them anyway.
CaptainJack
Visit this Community
Luxembourg, Belgium
KitMaker: 793 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 08:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

All of that after market resin (and maybe injection molded plastic) stuff that I would like to see...

For a start, how about bulk ammunition supplies, the sort of stuff you would find on a pallet in an ASP prior to being broken down into basic individual loads. Those very same boxes with the wire bails and rope handles that are a pain in the butt to break apart and maintain accountability for when you are at the firing range and when returning the expended ammunition residue back into the ASP afterwards.

Yakkka yagga yagga!!! Man that is some list!! I'll be back next week after having chewed it over

P.S. I think it is great.

Jacko

The sort of packaging I am talking about is the thin plywood and wood frame boxing materials used to "box" up a pair of ammunition boxes containing 100 rounds each of .50 caliber ammunition or two boxes of 5.56mm or three boxes of 7.62mm NATO ammunition. Same thing for the TOW and Dragon Missiles which are packaged one to a box in the same type of container.

Anti-Tank mines, Anti-Personnel mines, shaped charges, cratering charges, bulk explosives, and bangalore torpedoes. All of these items need to be represented as individual issue and in bulk issue containers, need to have bunches of this stuff to represent the Combat Engineers and obstacle breachers or to make a start on a decent ASP or unit supply point.

Anyone fancy a 1/35th scale cardboard "tri-wall" storage box on a 48"X48" warehouse pallet? Great for fillig up the back end of that empty 35th scale cargo truck...

B54Y SADM with optional large ALICE rucksack and the storage container in open and closed versions with and without SADM inside. Also need the required shaped charge to disable the physics package in case of mission abort (size/shape in 35th scale is roughly equal to a 110grain .30 caliber carbine jacketed round nose bullet). For those of you that want to recreate the ultimate "precision guided weapon..."

Standard size GSA 48"X48" warehouse pallets for stacking stuff in the back of the truck or on the ground. Palletizing your loads prior to deployment would also reqire the need for some standard 108" X 108" aircraft cargo pallets complete with the cargo netting and the big plastic bags to cover it all and weather proof it. Let's not forget the little self sticking "shipping data enclosed" envelopes that are attached to the outside of the load.

Storage containers for things like the M24 sniper rifle, Night Vision Goggles, Thermal and Infra-red Imaging sets, Stinger & Redeye MANPAD missiles, mortar ammunition.

Depot level storage containers for jet engines, gas turbines, diesel engines, helicopter blades, helicopter transmissions, and other depot level type storage containers.

An accurate rough terrain forklift and a warehouse type forklift, something that would be necessary for all of that palletized stuff needing to be loaded in to the back of the HEMTTs, 5ton, & duece and a halfs.

Some accurate HE and Spotting projectiles, powder cans & powder bags for the M65 280mm cannon (the old Renwal and Revell release both are in dire need of something that looks like it belongs in the breech).

GP Small, GP Medium, and Squad tents with tent stove and upended 5 gallon gas can for the fuel supply.

POL tanks and the hose and pump unit for the back end of the 5 ton truck to represent the often seen but seldom appreciated POL truck that was usually associated with units that had both MOGAS & Diesel fuel requirements (before the HMMWV & CUCV).

A pair of small 10-15Kw Generators mounted on a trailer to be towed by a 2 1/2 ton or 5 ton truck.

A 50-100Kw Generator mounted on a trailer to be towed by the 2 1/2 ton or 5 ton truck.

The "lister" bag with mulitple spigots to dispense water and the tent pole tri-pod frame usually seen with this bag hanging from the center.

A modern round-cylinder shaped and not so modern oval-cylinder shaped "water buffalo" tank trailer.

1 1/2 ton cargo trailers for towing behind the 5ton and 2 1/2ton truck.
3/4 ton cargo trailers for towing behind the 3/4 and 5/4 ton trucks and HMWWV series vehicles.

RC-292 antenna mast kit with separate antenna sections and components and and an erected antenna mast assembly. Backpack SATCOM radio with antenna and other high-speed-low-drag commo stuff. And for the retro fit, how about the old hand crank "gibson girl" generator rig and portable AM radio as used by the OSS and Jedburgh teams infiltrated into Europe and the Balkans.

ATV's, snow mobiles and ahkio sleds in resin or injection molded plastic and. (I remember one of the 1/25th scale MPC kits of a Pontiac Bonneville that could be customized into a Pontiac equivalent of the El Camino, it came with an ahkio sled as part of the kit. I thought the ahkio sled was pretty cool, it lasted a lot longer than the model cars, but now it is lost and I sure wish I could find another one. Ahkio that is, screw the Pontiac).

An affordable LANCE Missile system in injection molded plastic (just the trailer/launcher (great sling load for a Blackhawk...)) Missile warhead with shipping container, missile motor with shipping container, and fins with shipping container.

An affordable modern large bulldozer with and without the armored cab in injection molded plastic.

An affordable dump truck in injection molded plastic.

To go along with the above dump truck, how about a decent front end loader/skip loader and the small engineer vehicle based on the UNIMOG that was acquired for use by the Airborne and Air-Mobile forces.

In the interest of not boring the reader and to elicit some intelligent feedback, I will halt my wish list at this point in time...

r,

Jeffry Fontaine
"96D4HS9"

put bold text here
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 06:40 AM UTC
Yeah Rob may be busy when he get "home" I'd like more info on all the gensets he's got.
Hint

Matt
 _GOTOTOP