Hosted by Darren Baker
ebay surprise - is it worth it?
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2005 - 09:35 AM UTC
I saw this and thought it was a cool subject and put it on watch...

is it really that special........

6 bids - $75 - 2 days left

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5957868869&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
Armorama: 2,844 posts
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2005 - 09:40 AM UTC
Scott,

I wonder if it is really 1/32nd scale like it say on the ebay site. Seems sorta odd...

Shaun
lavgnr
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 338 posts
Armorama: 216 posts
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2005 - 10:07 AM UTC
Peering through his other items reveals the new model C-130 E/H Helicopter. Obviously a hybrid of some sort. With a 99.6% positive rating since 1998, he looks like a decent enough seller.

Revell's usually a little less vague about their kit names, though, no?
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2005 - 10:20 AM UTC
A pretty nice find. The kit is indeed 1/32 sacle. It is from the old (1960s) Renwal molds that Revell bought and hasn't been made since the 1980s. It is a pretty descent kit. I used one as a base kit to make my M123A1C tractor, heavily modified. It is a pretty sought after kit. I would't pay more than $50 for it though, even that is high, but about what it usually goes for. There is usually at least one of them on Ebay at any given time. It shows up in the Revell box, and a couple different versions in the older Renwal boxes as both military and civilian wreckers.
Monte
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 833 posts
Armorama: 601 posts
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2005 - 11:08 AM UTC
Only a "few minor parts missing". Probably everything you need for the crane!
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2005 - 11:54 AM UTC
Ok - so, kinda rare, not seen to often, maybe worth a bit,
For a Ravell it kinda jumped out at me for such a quick jump in price.

BTW - I won't be bidding on this.....
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2005 - 12:11 PM UTC
Being a senile old man, I just can't see the logic of shelling out 75+ bucks for a incomplete kit. I might consider it if it was complete and shrink wrapped for my collection, but the only way you would ever unload it is to find some other fool who wants to buy an incomplete kit.
Having had and built the kit, it's certainly not up to todays standards, fit, or details.
But does have a nice vise to mount on the bumper. But it's not that nice for 75 smackers.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2005 - 03:10 PM UTC
Howdy guys,

O.K...here's an opportunity (like you fellas need one ) to laugh at my truck knowledge shortcomings.......

Couldn't you build this very same truck from a standard GMC truck kit with shortened chassis rails and a scratched wrecker rig?........just curious.
Mind you, it's not that I'm against spending the money (Lord knows I've spent my share...), but, as Grumpy says, for seventy-five smackers (and an incomplete kit to boot) it's got to have some real unique value.

Tread.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2005 - 03:47 PM UTC
I didn't notice the "minor parts missing", depending on what is missing, I wouldn't pay more than $20 for it.

Quoted Text

Couldn't you build this very same truck from a standard GMC truck kit with shortened chassis rails and a scratched wrecker rig?........just curious.

Tread,
Kinda. It would take some work, it is based on the M54 5-ton chasis. Therefore, you would need an AFV Club M35A2 model, and an Italeri M900 series 5-ton, along with some scratch-building, to get the chasis and cab combo for an M54. You would have to scratch build the wrecker bed and boom assembly. Prabably about as much as the one on Ebay once you get all the kits and supplies. You would probably have a better quality model though. The other option would be to get one of the resin conversion sets for the modern M900 series 5-ton wreckers and add that to the M35/M900 combo, more money.

Either way you look at it, it is expensive. Depends on how much work you want to do to get a M64 wrecker.

Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2005 - 03:56 PM UTC
I remember buying this kit when Kay Bee Toy and Hobby Shop still sold models. I was in college, so it was around 1983. They placed most of the Revell kits that had the green header and kit on dirt pile on sale. I remember buying the M50 Ontos, M56 Scorpion (SPAT), Military Wrecker and the old Revell M4A1 Sherman (rebox of "Black Magic") for $4.99 each.

Old Renwal kits were made at 3/8"=1' when you do the math it equals 1/32 scale:

3/8"=12", divide both sides by 3
1/8=4, divide both sides by 4
1/32=1
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, February 21, 2005 - 04:18 PM UTC

Ya know Rob, as much as I love and respect you. When you share stories like these it just kills me with envy!........you have been kind enough in the past to share your 'golden charm' abilities in these respects..........I guess it's just my own failings that are showing thru when I say to myself........"Man, I wish I was out shoppin' with Rob that day!"........

An Ontos for $4.99!.......sheeeeesh!

Tread.
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 09:49 AM UTC
LOL Tread. I'm getting ready to build yet another Dragon M4A1 Early... did you ever find one?
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 12:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ya know Rob, as much as I love and respect you. When you share stories like these it just kills me with envy!........you have been kind enough in the past to share your 'golden charm' abilities in these respects..........I guess it's just my own failings that are showing thru when I say to myself........"Man, I wish I was out shoppin' with Rob that day!"........

An Ontos for $4.99!.......sheeeeesh!

Tread.

Remember this was about 22 years ago. The $20 I spent on the kits was like two weeks worth of food and beer drinking money. Back in the day, $2.50 pitchers.

But, yeah i do happen to run across bargins often. Just lucky I guess.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 12:59 PM UTC

"............LOL Tread. I'm getting ready to build yet another Dragon M4A1 Early... did you ever find one? .........."

:-) :-) Man, Alan....you should do Stand-Up....
And for the record. NO, I have not found one.... As I've said in the past. I should have listened to your early warnings sir, and found one. But alas, I was found wanting.........
My hat's off to your clarity of vision, and your warm warning.

".......Remember this was about 22 years ago. The $20 I spent on the kits was like two weeks worth of food and beer drinking money. Back in the day, $2.50 pitchers.

But, yeah i do happen to run across bargins often. Just lucky I guess.
......."

Again.....LMAO!......I'll stick with my statement of ......"Man, I wish I was out shoppin' with Rob that day!"........

Maybe one of these days we'll go 'shoppin'.

Tread.,

Hoovie
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 505 posts
Armorama: 217 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 01:50 PM UTC
I agree $50 tops if it was complete!
I just got the Sherman Calliope from
the same era for $30!!
Ron
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 22, 2005 - 01:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

"............LOL Tread. I'm getting ready to build yet another Dragon M4A1 Early... did you ever find one? .........."

:-) :-) Man, Alan....you should do Stand-Up....
And for the record. NO, I have not found one.... As I've said in the past. I should have listened to your early warnings sir, and found one. But alas, I was found wanting.........

Gordo, here's a lead for you.

M4A1
 _GOTOTOP