_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Tamiya T-55A...its offical!!!
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 10:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Does anyone know the timeline of the Tamiya Panther offerings?
How long it was between the announcement/release of the first ( Late G?) to the Early G, to the Steelwheels.. I think I got the order right...

since I wasn't into panthers at the time, I can remember complaining that why do we need 3x panthers when we don't have a good T55..

Hopefully the first version, whatever it is.. sells well enough to put out another. Maybe do a Late and then a early, w ERA, then an IDF.. whatever

At first it seems like there are too many possibilities to fit all the variants into one box. But then again, Academy has, what.., 4 possibilities in the Nam M113 kit?..

I wonder if they'd ever go to Accurate Mineatures B25 route of offering a base kit and then later a upgrade/different variant requiring you to already have the base kit.

Also hopefully they have done good homework and know what version specific details are needed or not for particular vehicles.. not like the IS 3 which was measured from a rebuild and not too accurate for the general production run.

Please don't get me wrong, I love the idea of the Big T doing this tank, I'll buy and build several, but I'd love it if it started out close to correct. I am not a picker of nits, but would like a dimensionally accurate, well detailed, well molded vehicle to start from.

Mike

Mike--Dagger and I attempted to find a photo of this up and coming model without luck. Can we assume that this will be a new mold vice the re packaging of an old one? I do not believe Tamiya ever made a T-55...
DJ
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 525 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 01:03 AM UTC
Hi DJ:
Did you receive the FAX I tried to send you ??

Dagger-1
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 02:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi DJ:
Did you receive the FAX I tried to send you ??

Dagger-1

Dagger--got it and deeply appreciate it Sir.
thanks again
DJ
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
Armorama: 2,070 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 03:10 AM UTC
I think Tamiya did an ancient motorized almost-toy model of the T55 waaaayyyyy back when. so long ago most folks have forgotten it, so I cannot for a minute believe they'll be re-popping that one..

Mike
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 03:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I think Tamiya did an ancient motorized almost-toy model of the T55 waaaayyyyy back when. so long ago most folks have forgotten it, so I cannot for a minute believe they'll be re-popping that one..

Mike

Mike--I have a truly ancient one from Tamiya of their T34/85. I assume the T-55 you mention is from that forgotten era. Can anyone believe they created a new T-55 mold?
thanks
DJ
Tiger101
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 902 posts
Armorama: 628 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 06:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Can anyone believe they created a new T-55 mold?
thanks
DJ

Over the past few years Mr T. has saved his best releases for the Tokyo Show.

The T-72, The Dragon Wagon, The Famo, The Marder III. It should be a new release. I hope that it sells well and we get other varients (Iraq, and later soviet). I can't wait.
tankbuster
Visit this Community
Wien, Austria
KitMaker: 134 posts
Armorama: 89 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 07:07 PM UTC
although it is still hard for me to distinguish a T55 from a T62 I am glad to hear that tamiya listened to the modellers and created this kit.
for accuracy: is there anything out there which is definitely accurate under a nitpickers aspect??
I am basically happy with a well represented shape, hope Mr. T. could manage this.
so I can start with my northern alliance T55..or was it a T62???

question to those importers:
prices in japan are more reasonable than in other parts of the world. but honestly: if u
add the shippingcharge and VAT, what is the final price then?
I had some bitter lessons to learn.
this is why I have drastically reduced importing stuff from non EU-states.

It happened quite often, that even a very cheap kit had cost me more than if I would have bought it in a shop because of the additional charges.
I do not know how it is somewhere else, but VAT in Austria is not only calculated from the price of the kit, they also add the shipping charges and calculate the VAT from this amount!!
but the final crime is that these parcels are handeled at a certain office and for postal delivery to your home another 4-5 bucks have to be paid.

this makes me nuts!!

regards, werner
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 07:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

although it is still hard for me to distinguish a T55 from a T62 I am glad to hear that tamiya listened to the modellers and created this kit.
for accuracy: is there anything out there which is definitely accurate under a nitpickers aspect??
I am basically happy with a well represented shape, hope Mr. T. could manage this.
so I can start with my northern alliance T55..or was it a T62???

question to those importers:
prices in japan are more reasonable than in other parts of the world. but honestly: if u
add the shippingcharge and VAT, what is the final price then?
I had some bitter lessons to learn.
this is why I have drastically reduced importing stuff from non EU-states.

It happened quite often, that even a very cheap kit had cost me more than if I would have bought it in a shop because of the additional charges.
I do not know how it is somewhere else, but VAT in Austria is not only calculated from the price of the kit, they also add the shipping charges and calculate the VAT from this amount!!
but the final crime is that these parcels are handeled at a certain office and for postal delivery to your home another 4-5 bucks have to be paid.

this makes me nuts!!

regards, werner

Werner--if you are chasing it, it is a T-55. If it is chasing you, it is a T-62. Very lethal system in the hands of a well-trained crew. As for buying from the Japanese, I use HobbyLink Japan. The cost of the T-55 is $27 plus probably $6-7 for shipping. We have no VAT. I bet anything that it will sell in the US for $40 plus. I paid about $29 for my M-26 pershing, got it months before my local Hobby Shop was selling it for $44.
DJ
Armour66
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 200 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 08:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Jack--use this one http://www.hlj.com/index.html. You will have to send them your credit card info over their secure hook-up. Once they get it you just tell them to use it for future purchases.
Let me know if this does not work or if you need anything else.
DJ

would you happen to know the average shipping costs to the US east coast? I really would like to get that 1/35 Pershing.

thanks
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 09:28 PM UTC
[quote]
Quoted Text

would you happen to know the average shipping costs to the US east coast? I really would like to get that 1/35 Pershing.

thanks

It should be under 10 bucks...they Ship via UPS from Japan to the states...takes about a week and half to get it
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 10:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Jack--use this one http://www.hlj.com/index.html. You will have to send them your credit card info over their secure hook-up. Once they get it you just tell them to use it for future purchases.
Let me know if this does not work or if you need anything else.
DJ

thanks

Chris--hit their website and they will show the shipping price. I got mine relatively quickly for about $35. You can also order that new T-55 from Tamiya.
DJ
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
Armorama: 2,070 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 19, 2002 - 10:57 PM UTC
Like I posted earlier, I got my $17 X-wing kit for about $22 dividing up shipping amongst the items in the package. The shop in N. Mass had the same kit on the shelf for $44...

For me, it is not worth it to just order one kit at a time though, I had an out of stock item left over that got shipped to me solo. I ended up paying as much as it would have cost me to get it throught the VLS membership discount plan ( if they could have gotten it in stock) , but still less than the local shops.

I did some checking and found that the Type 90's are much cheaper when ordered through HLJ.
Other folks really like Rainbow 10, but I find their web page harder to navigate and less visually oriented.

I guess I'll pick up a couple of T55's and the Type 90 w mine plow at the same time then.

Mike
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2002 - 01:28 AM UTC
HLJ does great service, I got two Fine Molds X-Wings for $34 including shipping delivered to the Boston, Mass. area. They have quick delivery, especially when you consider it hits the West Coast first and travels across North America too.

I'd prefer a new T-62 series without the motorization holes. There are enough acceptable T-55s floating around, although I would like to do a Ti-67. I remember building a Lindberg (or was it Esci?) one a long time ago.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, September 20, 2002 - 01:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

HLJ does great service, I got two Fine Molds X-Wings for $34 including shipping delivered to the Boston, Mass. area. They have quick delivery, especially when you consider it hits the West Coast first and travels across North America too.

I'd prefer a new T-62 series without the motorization holes. There are enough acceptable T-55s floating around, although I would like to do a Ti-67. I remember building a Lindberg (or was it Esci?) one a long time ago.

Rob--I have the Lindberg T-55.....got anything to swap?
DJ (:-)
 _GOTOTOP