_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Tamiya T-55A...its offical!!!
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 08:44 PM UTC
http://www.tamiya.com/english/show0210/newslist.htm

Should be out in December

I'll take 3-4 of them thank you!

Scott
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 09:01 PM UTC
Im not sure I want one of these but there has been so much talk and hype about this model, I think I will buy one and build it just to see what all the fuss is about!
ThomasB
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
KitMaker: 762 posts
Armorama: 323 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 09:04 PM UTC
Don't understand the fuss either... But there were some other things on that list that sounds interesting... The Mitsubishi and Subaru WRC's for exampel... If you dare mentioning kits like that here on armorama...
m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 778 posts
Armorama: 396 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 09:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Don't understand the fuss either... But there were some other things on that list that sounds interesting... The Mitsubishi and Subaru WRC's for exampel... If you dare mentioning kits like that here on armorama...

Thomas, there's always froom for all modeling interest here...so if you like that topic (WRCs) start a topic on it...I'm sure Jim wouldn't mind building a forum for it if interests justify it!
E23C
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 238 posts
Armorama: 142 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 09:13 PM UTC
That is good news! :-) Makes me a happy camper,thanks for the link.
m60a3
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 778 posts
Armorama: 396 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 09:13 PM UTC
Also saw the German Assault Infantry in winter gear...oh boy just what we need, another Ardennes set!
I just wish they'd do a set of Afrika Korps Tankers!
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 09:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Im not sure I want one of these but there has been so much talk and hype about this model, I think I will buy one and build it just to see what all the fuss is about!

The Fuss is over that Tamiya will hopefully have an "accurate" T-55 compaired to whats out on the market now. ESCI, Trumpter, Skif, and Lindburg have all failed in creating a decent T-55. I know for one had a lot of hope that the Skif T-55 kit was going to be the one, but I no longer have the two kits I bought since it was so horrible...it was 2 steps back from the MT-LB they did and was as bad as their first kit they did...the T-80.

The ESCI Kit has its problems with its engine deck and the Trumpter kit looks nice but the Hull is too high on it due to the gearbox and batteries that went into it to make it motorized. Hopefully Tamiya will advoid these problems and making an accurate T-55 will be as pain less as possible with it.
ArmouredSprue
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 1,958 posts
Armorama: 1,003 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 10:25 PM UTC
Hi all!
Ain't that much a fan of this model, but is always good to see a release so expected for the most modelers, last hope it come at least accurated as everybody are expecting it to be!
Have fun! :-)
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 17, 2002 - 10:37 PM UTC
I just ordered one from HobbyLink Japan for $27 plus shipping.
DJ
CaptainJack
Visit this Community
Luxembourg, Belgium
KitMaker: 793 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 01:55 AM UTC
YEs Yes Yes.........Am I excited????Yes, Ya, Oui, Si, Sì, Jawohl, Ken, aïawa, La....I'm dancing in my office (can you see me!!??) Greteast thing since peanut butter, only had to wait 47 years!! hope this is accurate, but then again, it's Tamiya a dream come true!! Way to go big T I'll play on your team anyday. Thanks amillion for the lead. I don't know whether I want to build the model or eat it I'm so excited!! :-) (:-) (:-) Although I'm already building a Hidu T-55 This will be greatly welcomed.

Jack be T55'd
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 02:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

YEs Yes Yes.........Am I excited????Yes, Ya, Oui, Si, Sì, Jawohl, Ken, aïawa, La....I'm dancing in my office (can you see me!!??) Greteast thing since peanut butter, only had to wait 47 years!! hope this is accurate, but then again, it's Tamiya a dream come true!! Way to go big T I'll play on your team anyday. Thanks amillion for the lead. I don't know whether I want to build the model or eat it I'm so excited!! :-) (:-) (:-) Although I'm already building a Hidu T-55 This will be greatly welcomed.

Jack be T55'd

Jack---may I recommend that you use HobbyLink Japan and get one for under thirty bucks. By way of comparison, I used this outfit and got the Pershing for $26 months before my local guy had it for $44!
HTH
DJ
CaptainJack
Visit this Community
Luxembourg, Belgium
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 02:38 AM UTC
Thank You DJ Sir,

That is most kind. I shall look into that possibility. Any savings is of course always welcome. Thanks again!

Jack
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 02:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thank You DJ Sir,

That is most kind. I shall look into that possibility. Any savings is of course always welcome. Thanks again!

Jack

Jack--do you have their site address?
DJ
CaptainJack
Visit this Community
Luxembourg, Belgium
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 02:43 AM UTC
No, could you post it or is there a kink here on the site?? Happy construction with yours btw, I bet it will be superb!

Jack
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 03:03 AM UTC
Jack--use this one http://www.hlj.com/index.html. You will have to send them your credit card info over their secure hook-up. Once they get it you just tell them to use it for future purchases.
Let me know if this does not work or if you need anything else.
DJ
CaptainJack
Visit this Community
Luxembourg, Belgium
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 03:06 AM UTC
Thanks a million, errr a zillion DJ!
shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 876 posts
Armorama: 606 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 03:55 AM UTC
I seem to be getting the feeling of being lighter. Oh yeah its my money leaving my pocket to do allthose IDf tirans. for once I'd like somebody to make a kit I want before i use an inferior one. :-) :-)
Josh Weingaren
aKa shiryon
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
Armorama: 2,070 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 07:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jack---may I recommend that you use HobbyLink Japan and get one for under thirty bucks. By way of comparison, I used this outfit and got the Pershing for $26 months before my local guy had it for $44!
HTH
DJ

Yeah.. the shop in N Mass had the Finemolds X-wing I got for $17 +shipping for...
drumroll please
$44!!

As for Tamiya T55.. YES! YES! YES! ( ok... too much more and I'm sounding like Meg Ryan in Harry met Sally..)

But.. look at the dogs breakfast they made of the T72 turret.. and that's the 'new' tamiya, or reasonably new anyway..

One can only hope they follow up and do a German 251/22 IR UHU, and a PACV hovercraft..
then I woke up and saw the bong was empty...

I'm in for a couple.. wanna bet that all the T55 aftermarket sitting in closets turns up on e-bay in the next month?

Mike

Love the handguns and tequila quote by the way.. I've used that one before too...

sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 07:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

The Fuss is over that Tamiya will hopefully have an "accurate" T-55 compaired to whats out on the market now. ESCI, Trumpter, Skif, and Lindburg have all failed in creating a decent T-55. I know for one had a lot of hope that the Skif T-55 kit was going to be the one, but I no longer have the two kits I bought since it was so horrible...it was 2 steps back from the MT-LB they did and was as bad as their first kit they did...the T-80.

The ESCI Kit has its problems with its engine deck and the Trumpter kit looks nice but the Hull is too high on it due to the gearbox and batteries that went into it to make it motorized. Hopefully Tamiya will advoid these problems and making an accurate T-55 will be as pain less as possible with it.

So what makes you so sure Tamiya's will be accurate . we all know that somethings will have to be added and then the inevitable PE. God another $100.00 kit (:-)
Cheers
drewgimpy
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 835 posts
Armorama: 388 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 07:41 AM UTC
I am excited for this one. Does anyone know if it will be accurate for an Iraqi tank in DS? If not it sounds like it will be the best choice considering what I have read about the other T-55's. This tank (most likely this one) actually took the life of one of my relatives in DS. I have been doing a lot of research on it; maybe I will post the story in the Soldiers Stories forum.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 08:54 AM UTC
Jeff--I am hoping this baby will be a new mold. I have the Lindberg kit which will go on the bloc the minute they tell me mine is enroute.
DJ #:-)
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 09:17 PM UTC
Well on the Tamiya site that it was listed on...it was listed as a Russian Army T-55A, but we won't know excatly what it looks like till photo are post of it..which I guess we'll see in a couple weeks.

In reguards to the Tamiya T-72 turret...I've read/heard that its a Check produced model and its accurate for that...but also theres been many changes to the T-72 turret and it all depends on which model your doing and if you'll have the correct turret. At least with the T-55 they used the same turret on all the marks minus changes in the hatches on the turret! Also remember that the Russians where big into upgrading their older models and you might have a mismash of older model with upgraded parts on it. There was some photos of T-64s on yahoo group that belong too and it had older T-64s upgraded with parts from the BV model! I'm just looking forward to having an accurate base to start with that doesnt require me chopping it up just to get started on it!
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
Armorama: 2,070 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 09:50 PM UTC
Does anyone know the timeline of the Tamiya Panther offerings?
How long it was between the announcement/release of the first ( Late G?) to the Early G, to the Steelwheels.. I think I got the order right...

since I wasn't into panthers at the time, I can remember complaining that why do we need 3x panthers when we don't have a good T55..

Hopefully the first version, whatever it is.. sells well enough to put out another. Maybe do a Late and then a early, w ERA, then an IDF.. whatever

At first it seems like there are too many possibilities to fit all the variants into one box. But then again, Academy has, what.., 4 possibilities in the Nam M113 kit?..

I wonder if they'd ever go to Accurate Mineatures B25 route of offering a base kit and then later a upgrade/different variant requiring you to already have the base kit.

Also hopefully they have done good homework and know what version specific details are needed or not for particular vehicles.. not like the IS 3 which was measured from a rebuild and not too accurate for the general production run.

Please don't get me wrong, I love the idea of the Big T doing this tank, I'll buy and build several, but I'd love it if it started out close to correct. I am not a picker of nits, but would like a dimensionally accurate, well detailed, well molded vehicle to start from.

Mike
Bravo-Comm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 525 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 18, 2002 - 09:51 PM UTC
Just a small correction here. Someone mentioned the release date is in December
However, The Hobbylink says 11-2002, Sorry folks thats in "NOVEMBER" Yeah...My Birthday is in NOVEMBER...OH and did I mention that the NEW 007 Movie will also be coming out in NOVEMBER...Hey it looks like it's going to be a great month for a Birthday !!!!

DAGGER-1: Peace thru Superior FirePower!!
 _GOTOTOP