Building GMC CCKW
PiotrS
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 199 posts
Armorama: 174 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 06:10 AM UTC
Yes, I wanna be like Mr Roo and have my own GMC with wrecker set
So far finished chassis and main parts of cargo box.

Cargo box still needs some sanding and of course I'm going to add details like reflectors and hooks.
I have one small problem with right positioning driver cab on the chassis, cab looks like bit too big. What you think about it? Can I leave cab in this position or move to front? As usual I wait for your opinions.

Piotr
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
Armorama: 1,864 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 07:16 AM UTC
I believe at this point, you will make Roo proud. As for the cab, I think it is just fine. It may look large because of the color of the different sections.

Jeff
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2005 - 08:31 AM UTC
WOW! great job my friend.

the cab is too long. Most of it is too large a curve in the rear wall. While this area does have a slight curve it is nowhere near that amount.

As you have no floor in the cab in the photos is it possible to cut a floor slightly smaller and squeese the centre of the back in and allow the floor to hold it in place?

If you move the cab forward your grill will be hard to fit due to the winch.

Otherwise nice work my friend please keep us updated on progress.
PiotrS
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2005 - 03:36 AM UTC
Hmm shortening the cab won't be easy First I put this into warm water and try to bend. If it not help probably I will have to sand off rear wall. I should wait for Italeri closed cab kit
Anyway I'll be back soon with new photos

Piotr
PiotrS
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
Posted: Saturday, February 26, 2005 - 10:09 PM UTC
Cargo box finished!

Mudguards and other details scratchbuilded from brass sheet and wire, chains from Aber set.
How it looks?

Unfortunatelly I have to move spare wheel about 1mm to fit cargo box on the chassis. Looks easy but wheel mount is moulded on frame rail
Next stage - correcting and detailing driver's cab.

Piotr
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Saturday, February 26, 2005 - 11:13 PM UTC
It looks excellent my friend. Your attention to detail is awesome.

Cheers
Cliff
PiotrS
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
Posted: Sunday, February 27, 2005 - 07:15 PM UTC
Thanks Cliff.
It's great to hear compliments but if you can see any mistakes please tell me. Be my supervisor

Yesterday I sanded off cab using motor tool and now it's about 1,5 mm shorter.Fits and looks much better.

Piotr
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Sunday, February 27, 2005 - 08:23 PM UTC
I am glad you managed to do that as it would look much better. I will tell you if I see anything wrong my friend but so far your workmanship is excellent.

cheers
Cliff

PS> thank you for the faith you put in me
PiotrS
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
Posted: Monday, March 28, 2005 - 07:40 PM UTC
Hi Guys!

After long time basic construction is finished. Now it's ready for priming and painting. Today I won internet auction of Italeri 'Field Tool Shop' kit and going to use it in this model. Hope quality of those tools is not bad.
CGM conversion isn't user friendly, it took many hours of work to achieve acceptable results. Worst part was fitting doors to the cab. I decided make workable hinges and probably leave them in open position, when closed looks not so good.
Please tell me what you think about it, if you can see any mistakes it's last moment to warn me!

Piotr
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Monday, March 28, 2005 - 08:41 PM UTC
looking better and better. I have noted a few bits and pieces that either are not right or would look better if done another way.

One/ rear vision mirror is mounted way to low. Needs to be jut above the mold seam on the cowl level with the top door hinge.

Two/ windscreen wiper arms are too short and do not suit the windscreen frame. I suggest making some longer ones from fine copper wire.

Three/ I also would leave the doors open as it looks to be a major job to get a tight fit.

Four/ the beam on your wrecker unit is too long. It should not go right to the end of a LWB 353 deck. On a second look it appears you have placed the wrecker set too far back. The rear (nearest the tailgate) support legs should be just inside the tail gate.

Five/ this one is for me! I promise never to complain about the cleanup required on my GMC resin cabs again. :-)

other then that my friend it looks like you have done a marvelous job.
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 2,832 posts
Armorama: 1,500 posts
Posted: Monday, March 28, 2005 - 08:49 PM UTC
Cliff i think i just found your long lost brother :-) ...oh dear god, two of them, Everyone to the armorama fall out shelter!

Looks excellent mate, those scratchbuilt parts really make it a fantastic looking model!
Cheers
PiotrS
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
Posted: Monday, March 28, 2005 - 10:41 PM UTC
Cliff, when finished I should write "Accepted by Mr Roo" on base :-)

Quoted Text

Two/ windscreen wiper arms are too short and do not suit the windscreen frame. I suggest making some longer ones from fine copper wire.

Four/ the beam on your wrecker unit is too long. It should not go right to the end of a LWB 353 deck. On a second look it appears you have placed the wrecker set too far back. The rear (nearest the tailgate) support legs should be just inside the tail gate.

Windscreen frame is only temporary fitted and after painting it should be OK. Most interesting is wrecker beam. I made it using your drawings and article from french magazine. I'll measure it again Wrecker is not attached to cargo box so position we'll be easy to fix.
General comment for this project is: "do not buy resin conversion any more" :-)

David, thanks for your comments but it's long way for me before I'll become master scratchbuilder like Cliff.

Piotr
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
Armorama: 1,864 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 01:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Cliff i think i just found your long lost brother :-) ...oh dear god, two of them, Everyone to the armorama fall out shelter!

I agree. We seem to have a Roo protege, an apprentice. Keep it coming.

Jeff
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Armorama: 2,495 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 29, 2005 - 06:16 AM UTC
Piotr
You have done an outstanding job so far It is a shame when you spend good money on a resin kit and have fit problems What kind of markings will you put on it?
PiotrS
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
Posted: Thursday, March 31, 2005 - 06:28 PM UTC
Guys, thanks for kind words. Last days were very hard to me and didn't have time for modelling but yesterday I checked wrecker again and it looks like beam is only 2-3 mm too long. I'm not going to change this but will mount wrecker in proper position.
Painting and markings will be standard - OD with stars and registration numbers.
I'll be back when make anything worth seeing

Cheers
Piotr
outback
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 247 posts
Armorama: 127 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 05:17 PM UTC
Excellent job Piotr. I think Chris has inspired me to head down a similar track. May I ask what the base is for you model? I can't seem to find anything suitable in any of the main stream manufacturers.

Chris, if you reading this, can I ask if you know of a decent source of "unusual" suitable softskin kits in Australia?

Cheers
Shane
PiotrS
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
Posted: Wednesday, April 06, 2005 - 06:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Excellent job Piotr. I think Chris has inspired me to head down a similar track. May I ask what the base is for you model? I can't seem to find anything suitable in any of the main stream manufacturers.

Welcome to the truck club Shane
Base model is Tamiya "US 2.5t cargo truck" but used only chassis, cab is resin kit from french manufacturer CGM.
I suppose writing Chris you meant Cliff?

Piotr
PiotrS
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
Posted: Saturday, April 09, 2005 - 09:00 PM UTC
Next step done! Base coat is Tamiya OD lightened with Buff, decals are mix of ones from kit and CGM conversion. Those from CGM (stars on the doors, registration numbers, warnings on the tailgate) were much better, with thinner film and worked well with Gunze decal solvent. Now ready for funniest stage - weathering

MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Saturday, April 09, 2005 - 11:04 PM UTC
looking better and better all the time and now that the wrecker set is in the right position it looks even better.

I notice you have the wrecker beam about 2mm too high. May I suggest you leave the back bows off and make a partly rolled up canvas still drouped over the front bows. This should look very attractive and give the truck a look all of it's own.

PS> I guess you would not recommend the resin cab due to all the work you had to do to make things fit?
outback
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 247 posts
Armorama: 127 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2005 - 12:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I suppose writing Chris you meant Cliff?

Tks for the welcome, the info on the kit, and for spotting my deliberate error. :-)

Cheers
PiotrS
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2005 - 07:49 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I notice you have the wrecker beam about 2mm too high. May I suggest you leave the back bows off and make a partly rolled up canvas still drouped over the front bows. This should look very attractive and give the truck a look all of it's own.

PS> I guess you would not recommend the resin cab due to all the work you had to do to make things fit?

I had the same idea only afraid if homemade canvas will look good.
Cab for sure isn't perfect but now when it's completed my opinion is little better. As you know it takes lot of work to fit and doors still aren't totaly correct but after painting and first stages of weathering it looks like GMC cab so it's not bad at all :-)
If price would be lower it could be good deal but for 35$ you can expect better details and casting quality. This year Italeri should reissue their GMC so I suggest everyone wait for it.

Piotr
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Sunday, April 10, 2005 - 08:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I had the same idea only afraid if homemade canvas will look good.
Piotr

I saw a model pic the other day (can't remember if it was here) that showed canvas made with the foil off the large yogurt containers and when painted it looked very well done.

But with your skills my friend I am sure you will make it look good whatever you use to create the canvas with.
PiotrS
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
Posted: Sunday, May 08, 2005 - 08:30 PM UTC
Finally finished!
Weathering was done using few oil washes and pigments.
Added some stuff from Tamiya Aliied accesory set and Italeri field workshop.

Hope you like it

Piotr
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Sunday, May 08, 2005 - 09:17 PM UTC
very well done my friend.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK