Hosted by Darren Baker
Ruined barn
cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,185 posts
Armorama: 1,813 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 27, 2005 - 12:13 PM UTC
This is an early issue late 1800's ruined barn but I used a Panzer III M/N roadwheel for the pulley above the loft. - sorry could't resist. I'll be adding an attached farm house also,maybe finish tomorrow and add some more pics. - Cheyenne Couple more in my members gallery but some when clicked on show old photos I had deleted? Whats up with that.
TsunamiBomb
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,447 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 27, 2005 - 12:19 PM UTC
Dang, thats amazing, you built that yourself!? Wow, I cant wait to see this diorama. That barn is so awesome! Are you going to put the barn, the house, and the bridge all in one diorama? You have a very good wood working talent.
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,412 posts
Armorama: 1,174 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 27, 2005 - 01:22 PM UTC
amazing! is this in 1/72 or 1/35?

Frank
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 2,394 posts
Armorama: 1,695 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 27, 2005 - 02:05 PM UTC
Wow excellent work again!!! you keep amazing me with your building skills. What are the plans for this one? Cheers Kevin
bodymovin
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 544 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 27, 2005 - 02:30 PM UTC
holy moly i am in shock! that is great i love it. Do you do that based on plans, pics or just out of your head? PLease tell me how u did it or just pm with a rough overview of what materials and base u use for it
Ian
blockhaus
Visit this Community
Spain / España
KitMaker: 693 posts
Armorama: 682 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 27, 2005 - 08:33 PM UTC
Hi cheyenne,

very nice!!!
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 5,435 posts
Armorama: 2,762 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 27, 2005 - 08:48 PM UTC
what the....how do you do that?

lol could you tell me what you excactly do for preperation before you start the actual build? I think I'm always going wrong in my preperation....

Martin
Hwa-Rang
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Armorama: 1,339 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 27, 2005 - 09:09 PM UTC
wow Cheyenne that is bl.... briliant. Can't wait to see it finished, with the bridge and all.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 27, 2005 - 10:54 PM UTC
Excallent subject. It is very nicely done.
My only critique is that the spacing between the boards seems to uniform and universal. The uniform could just be the photos. I could be offbase on the universal too, I've just never seen a barn where all the surfaces have gaps between the board.
Florre
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 980 posts
Armorama: 158 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 27, 2005 - 11:04 PM UTC
Damn, the more I see here on armorama, the more disappointed I am with my own skills :-) This looks wonderfull. Let's see, I hope that in about 20 years I'll have the same skills, should be possible...
Can't wait to see this barn painted and all...
cheyenne
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2005 - 12:25 AM UTC
Thanks everyone, Harrison, Jackhammer81, this started out as a Normandy barn for Tango20. I wanted to do something small for Chris to use in a vig. but as usual I got carried away, this is in 1/35 scale and with attached farmhouse it's huge. Sorry Chris, I've still got something else in the works for you. Yes I will be incorporating this in with the German house-pub and bridge. Francois, thanks man, as above stated 1/35th. Ian, Martinnnn, yes I''ll pm you with my methods. Scott, "Slodder", this question was also asked by a few of my friends during the build. I questioned my Polish farmer relatives on the barn build. This is supposed to be a cow barn, the back of the barn - 2nd - floor has gaps between the siding but an inside wall so you can't see through to the inside, a tack, storage area. The front of the loft area has siding with gaps you can see through this is a hay storage area. I was told that area usually is vented so the hay dose'nt get mouldy, usually found only on small farms with a few cows . I've seen pics. of this but with the entire 4 walls of the loft area gapped, supposedly but not as a rule, after the barn is built farmers sometimes add the inside wall area after as a storage place. Thanks again everyone, hopefully I'll add more pics. tonight with the attched farmhouse.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2005 - 01:14 AM UTC
cheyenne - cool. Good research - critique removed. Can't wait for more.
cheyenne
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2005 - 01:44 AM UTC
Thanks Scott, I'm not saying I'm right, I'm just going according to the answers I got about small farm barns in Poland from relatives.These were also the barns I've seen pictures of. I'm going to make this dio in the Ger. - Belg. border area so you may be right. If anyone can confirm this type of building in the area I'm building in it would be very helpful. - Cheyenne
Parks20
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 737 posts
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2005 - 04:12 AM UTC
Fantastic work!! I rally look forward to the finished product. You must have a LOT of space to display your work. This looks like it's going to be a huge project!!
Aniol
Visit this Community
Poznaz, Poland
KitMaker: 205 posts
Armorama: 166 posts
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2005 - 10:17 AM UTC
Your building is great!
The only thing you can add, are battens ( I'm not sure about this word in English) for roof tiles. They are important part of roof.
here is link for site where you can find instruction of making roofs. Site is in Polish , but you can find drawnings there ( remember dimension are in cm )
http://www.budowa.mbps.pl/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=135
http://www.budowa.mbps.pl/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=134
I can't wait to see your dio finisched.
Kar98K
KitMaker: 126 posts
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2005 - 10:24 AM UTC
Very nice build. Your's and Blockhaus's buildings are always amazing. ?One thing though would they use a chain on the pulley. I have never seen a chain only rope.
Robster
Visit this Community
Utrecht, Netherlands
KitMaker: 386 posts
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2005 - 10:29 AM UTC
This is just B-E-A-UTIFUL,

I think the dio's that you build are at least 1 by 1meter (3 by 3 feet) with al those big houses in it.

Greetz Rob!
cheyenne
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2005 - 12:00 PM UTC
Tomek, thanks for the reference sites I'll try to get my father to translate enough of it for me to really check out the sites. I see what you mean though in the pics. on the sites. The pics look like newer construction though and for slate and u shaped terracotta stuff. Today everything is nailed to plywood, in the late 1800 & early 1900's the " battens " you mentioned I guess would be called nailers? The reference pics. I used showed vertical battens with only a couple of horizontal pieces to nail the battens to. I tried to add enough vertical battens so it would look more convincing as far as having them to nail the shingles to. Believe me its tough to get it to look convincing enough. If you could tell me if this was used long ago also, I'll certainly use the horozontal method it looks more covincing. Once again thanks. Nick the chain and figs. were placed there just as watercress or parsely just something to throw on for the pics. and as a size ref. for 1/35th scale. Robster I better stop building stuff, right now I,m at about 3ft by 4ft with no room for it. Thanks again - Cheyenne
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Monday, February 28, 2005 - 01:17 PM UTC
Dont know much about Polish barns, but it was common in Ireland to build barns with at least one wall slatted and quite commonly opposite faces. Facing directly you couldn´t see in, but at an angle you could. This stopped most of the rain coming in, but let the breeze blow through. If hay or turf wasn´t properly dried, it could be stored here and would hopefully dry more, or at least not rot. A similar floor surface would be used also.

Quoted Text

The reference pics. I used showed vertical battens with only a couple of horizontal pieces to nail the battens to

No expert on barns but this is the first Ive ever seen with so many vertical. I would imagine it more common to have horizontal battons.
Aside all the formalities, this is still outstanding. It really looks the part. This is gearing up to be one top dio. Keep the progress pictures coming.... great to see it all the steps.
cheyenne
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 01, 2005 - 10:22 AM UTC
Hi Frank, the more I check into the battens question, reference-wise the more different ways roof frames are constructed I find. The origional pic. I was using is shown below, it's a Normandy farm house, than I recieved via e-mail from relatives some barn pics. I no longer have them because they were deleted. However the Polish barn pics. battenwise were the same as the pic. below. I'm begining to think that the use of the batten whether vertical or horizontal depended on the type of roofing to be applied to it, slate, split shake, tile, hay etc. I've even seen pics. recently while investigating this with an equal amount of horiz. & vert. battens. So to make things really confusing I'm going to roof the attched farmhouse to the barn with horiz. battens - can't wait to see the posts on that. Thanks Frank for the insights and the compliments - must learn -must build - must make progress - must complete - oh sorry back to work. - Cheyenne
tango20
Visit this Community
Delaware, United States
KitMaker: 1,281 posts
Armorama: 336 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 01, 2005 - 01:30 PM UTC
Hi mate another outstanding work love the detail and the whole construction,hell i could have lived in that,lol lol
Cheers Chris :-) :-)
Aniol
Visit this Community
Poznaz, Poland
Posted: Tuesday, March 01, 2005 - 09:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm begining to think that the use of the batten whether vertical or horizontal depended on the type of roofing to be applied to it, slate, split shake, tile, hay etc. [/IMG]

Of course you are right.
I saw roof tiles on your roof. I'm student of civil engeneering and haven't heard about using vertical battens for roof tiles. I checked in my books and I didn't found anything.
I wonder what kind of roofing was on picture you showed.
cheyenne
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 01, 2005 - 11:12 PM UTC
Tomek, the roofing is supposed to be split shakes but the pics. are not too clear and kind of dark because of the primer. Also I'll be adding alot more broken-up shingles and lumber later on. Thanks again - Cheyenne
blockhaus
Visit this Community
Spain / España
KitMaker: 693 posts
Armorama: 682 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 12:08 AM UTC
Hi tomek, thanks for these sketch of tlie roof. Very usseful. Are wood of clay the tiles of fist drawing?
Regards
Carlos
Aniol
Visit this Community
Poznaz, Poland
Posted: Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 05:37 AM UTC

I got pictures that can be interesting for you guys. I found first somewhere in internet. It is destroyed German house.
I took second in about 100 year building in Poznań. Battens are horizontal. You can also see some mortar between tiles.
Carlos, There are clay tiles on the first drawning.
 _GOTOTOP