_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Additional questions about when to paint
RottenFuhrer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 284 posts
Armorama: 196 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 01:51 AM UTC
I realize that many of you paint when construction is complete but I'm confused about a couple of issues. What about On Vehicle Equipment?? Do you paint the base coat right over it?? I don't see any other way to paint roadwheels except BEFORE they are put on. I need suggestions guys. Thanks in advance.

Sensei
Visit this Community
Belgrade, Serbia & Montenegro
KitMaker: 1,217 posts
Armorama: 799 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 02:43 AM UTC
i ussualy assemble whole wehicle, paint it together with equipement and then i paint the equipement with fine brush. sometimes i leave it off , it depends on what im doing or planing to do.

you didint specify what model are you doing the roadwheels?
RottenFuhrer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 284 posts
Armorama: 196 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 03:24 AM UTC
The new Tamiya Stug III w/ Eduard photo etch and barrel.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 03:33 AM UTC
I always paint roadwheels (rubber color applied first to the edges then a circle template to mask the rubber while the wheel is painted) before assembling them so any visible inner surfaces will be coated. I paint turrets and hulls separately before attaching equipment and roadwheels. Tools and other stoawge get painted before being attached. Any camo pattern is painted after roadwheels are added and turret/hull are mated but before tools and stowage are put in place.
This replicates pretty much how the prototype would be painted.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
Armorama: 2,844 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 03:46 AM UTC
I have to agree with Al. I have seen beautifully fully assembled unpainted models here and always wondered how they were going to paint the inside tire on the inner set of roadwheels... I paint roadwheels prior to gluing them on. I paint my pioneer tools off the model and glue them on painted, too.

Shaun
SpiritsEye
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 1,041 posts
Armorama: 533 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 04:58 AM UTC
i'm with Shaun and Al on this one

paint the wheels and equipments separately before assembly

PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,439 posts
Armorama: 1,980 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 05:07 AM UTC
Its always best to paint all road wheels before you add them to your Tank.same goes for Tracks and tools.i carn't see the point in adding all that stuff then only half painting the wheels,just dont make sence.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 02, 2005 - 06:33 AM UTC
Oh God, if you just check out my stuff in the RRB, you will see I have the most, unusual disorganised painting style on earth.
But since 90% of my models are in boring monochome colors, it's what works for me. Masking or protecting previous painted areas is not a major problem, I simply use an age old technique..... I dust all my colors on, and mask with wet toilet tissue...... (obviously before any pastels or pigments)
Even after the vehicle reaches a somewhat finished state, it really isn't finished, since I do eventually do try to mount them all to a base, with some simple ground work and a figure to show scale, and this requires some addition painting and weathering to pull it all together.
There are as many ways to paint as there are modellers, develope what works for you, and gives you the results you are looking for.
Some people like heavy weathering, I prefer light weathering, some like lots of paint chipping, I prefer very little. Again, what is the finished presentation are you trying to achieve?
I may have a piece just about finished, mounted, weathered etc, and suddenly decide a few extra packs, tools, equiptment would enhance the effect, (sometimes I just happen to find them in the mess box--- spares box) so I simply paint these, add them, and again add a little more weathering to pull it together. The main thing is developing your own style, so each time you do something, you'll end up with a simular, or close to the previous applied colors.
The only way you'll develope your oun style, is to build a lot, paint a lot, experiment alot and make a lot of mistakes as to what works and doesn't work for you.

Quoting one of my old Life Drawing professors--- " Start over---- why the hell do you think they give you 100 pages in that newsprint pad..... think everyone is going to turn out a masterpiece? "
 _GOTOTOP