Softskins group discussions.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Lil Squirt
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 03, 2005 - 06:35 AM UTC
This is a model of my truck that I drove in Nam 1967 to 1968. I built this one for the Armorama Finest Campaign. My primary duty was to deliver water to the Signal Units in and around Cu Chi Vietnam. The Signal Units were in direct support of the 25th Inf. Div 1/27 Wolf hounds. I also drove a few other trucks in the unit to include the Recovery vehicle and a couple of the tractor trailer rigs.
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
Armorama: 1,864 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 03, 2005 - 06:49 AM UTC
Very nice. Was this Signals unit the 125th Signal Battalion? I have to read a book titled Red Thunder, Tropic Lightning by Eric M. Bergerud.

P.S.: Now when I say "have to read," it just means that I am getting graded on it. That doesn't mean that I am not enjoying it.

Jeff
Robster
Visit this Community
Utrecht, Netherlands
KitMaker: 386 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 03, 2005 - 06:53 AM UTC
Another great model from Animal.

Here is the pic that didn't work.

Greetz Rob!
Slug
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 705 posts
Armorama: 505 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 03, 2005 - 08:10 AM UTC
Looks great Dave, I like the weathering, little touchs like the dirt on the inside of the bumper,really bring out the realism ( this is the kind of stuff I always forget ). What method did you use for your custom decals, another nice touch of realism.
I figured that door would say "Animal" :-)

Bruce
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 03, 2005 - 08:13 AM UTC
Dave that is real nice mate. It is good to have a model like this that has all those memories, good or bad, built in
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 03, 2005 - 08:45 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What method did you use for your custom decals, another nice touch of realism.

I make my decals using Woodland Scenic dry transfers that I apply to clear decal paper. It works great for me. For other graphics I will scan a photo and reduce it to 1/35 scale and then copy to decal paper. Other times I will free hand paint the graphics. It just depends of my mood and luck finding just what I need.

Quoted Text

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Very nice. Was this Signals unit the 125th Signal Battalion? I have to read a book titled Red Thunder, Tropic Lightning

One of the units I supplied was the 125 Sig, along with B Co. 38 Sig. and the 86 Sig Bde. The long line guys and the Tropo sites were the real fun ones. They were convoys or running solo to Tay Ninh Providence Area. As far as my name on the door this was all the Commander would allow. I tried to put Animal on the door. He said it might tick off some of the Bde Staff because of the cake incident.

Quoted Text

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dave that is real nice mate. It is good to have a model like this that has all those memories, good or bad, built in

I find it very therapeutic to build my memories. I have come to grips with a lot of "ghost" in doing so.
 _GOTOTOP