_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M8 'Greyhound', British Service
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Monday, March 07, 2005 - 06:32 AM UTC
Hi, I'm on the research trail again!
I've just got Italeri's M8 off Ebay, and am going to make it as a British version used in Italy. 56 Recce Regt. 4th Armoured Division used them ( there is a veterans account on the net, but I've lost the link) with the mudguards removed - much improves the look in my opinion.
I've got one 'photo from the article that I found but I really need more info on any mods made by the Brits - did they change the radio etc? any other mods? more pics?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Monday, March 07, 2005 - 08:52 AM UTC
I would imagine the Brits would install their own radio sets, Didn't they change the radios in the stuarts, shermans etc to the British radios?
DaveCox
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 07, 2005 - 08:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I would imagine the Brits would install their own radio sets, Didn't they change the radios in the stuarts, shermans etc to the British radios?

I suppose that one is a bit obvious isn't it? I was going through some possibles in my mind as I typed and still didn't realise I'd put the radio in there!
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Monday, March 07, 2005 - 09:00 AM UTC
Have you checked the Hunnicutt Armored Car book? They usually have a section there on other users even though the book is subtitled American Armored Cars.
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,141 posts
Armorama: 950 posts
Posted: Monday, March 07, 2005 - 09:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Have you checked the Hunnicutt Armored Car book? They usually have a section there on other users even though the book is subtitled American Armored Cars.

Hunnicutt has one short paragraph on British usage of the M8 and it speaks nothing of any modifications. I know the New Vanguard book on the M8/M20 by Steve Zaloga speaks of British usage of the M8 but I'm not sure how much he goes into it. You may want to post on the following Yahoo group:

G136Greyhound

The guys there may have some info you can use.
DaveCox
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, March 07, 2005 - 09:58 AM UTC
Thanks for that link Chris. I'll give that try.
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,659 posts
Armorama: 1,512 posts
Posted: Monday, March 07, 2005 - 10:22 AM UTC
The Squadron book U.S. Armored cars in action also doesn't have anything on any changes made.. as with Dave I do know from my reading and research on the firefly that they liked to change to their own radio's in the Lend/Lease vehicles they received..

the only mention of the british in the squadron book is that the M8 and M20 wasn't very well recieved by them as they didnt' like the light armor and perfered their own armored cars.

_GOTOTOP