_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Churchill AVRE
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Friday, March 11, 2005 - 08:26 PM UTC
At last here's my Churchill AVRE. It uses the Legends conversion set ( a Christmas present that eventually arrived in Feb!) and of course the Tamiya Churchill. The wading gear is scratchbuilt.

Some of the photos have an orange 'cast' to them, this is due to the early morning sun!

KitMaker: 4,303 posts
Armorama: 1,051 posts
Posted: Friday, March 11, 2005 - 09:02 PM UTC
Wow! That's a different piece for sure! I realy like the subject en you made a beautifull model out of it!!!
Thank you Santa!

Nitpicks:
Only one suggestion: add a liitle more color to it, for instance the towing cable looks a bit green to me and the wheels and suspension could use a little black wash (had the real tank rubber 'tires' on the wheel or where they all metal?).

DaveCox
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 11, 2005 - 09:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Wow! That's a different piece for sure! I realy like the subject en you made a beautifull model out of it!!!
Thank you Santa!

Nitpicks:
Only one suggestion: add a liitle more color to it, for instance the towing cable looks a bit green to me and the wheels and suspension could use a little black wash (had the real tank rubber 'tires' on the wheel or where they all metal?).

Must be the photos Paul. The towing cables are steel/oil colour, and the whole vehicle has had a raw umber wash. The wheels are all steel on the Churchill.
Thanks for the comments.
Alpenflage
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,120 posts
Armorama: 1,002 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 01:45 AM UTC
Excellent work on your Churchill AVRE ! Overall finish and weathering is awesome. I'm not sure how difficult the conversion was, but you did an outstanding job on a very interesting vehicle !

Keep up the good work !

Cheers !!

Alpen
DaveCox
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 02:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Excellent work on your Churchill AVRE ! Overall finish and weathering is awesome. I'm not sure how difficult the conversion was, but you did an outstanding job on a very interesting vehicle !

Keep up the good work !

Cheers !!

Alpen

Thanks Alpen, the conversion is easy enough - the hard part is getting up the courage to cut up an expensive kit in the first place!! The whole nose of the Tamiya kit is replaced together with chunks of the front part of the suspension and side plates.
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Armorama: 4,258 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 02:19 AM UTC
Wonderful job DAve, I love the finish, looks lovely used and muddy.
Well done

Cheers
Henk
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 5,435 posts
Armorama: 2,762 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 04:23 AM UTC
That's a very nice one! I love AVRE's, those big petard mortars look dangerous (and they were hehe)

MArtin
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 04:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

the hard part is getting up the courage to cut up an expensive kit in the first place!!

Know what you mean Dave ..... when I bought the Italeri chevy gun tractor, it was to convert to a radio truck, but I just didnt have the nerve to cut it up
But you´ve done it and all I can say it was worth all the hyper-tension . Great job and a nice individual model which stands out. Great weathering as well. Another nice addition to your collection.
DaveCox
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 05:25 AM UTC
Thanks for all the compliments guys.

Frank - at least for any 15cwt conversions the Chevy just needs a new rear bed, and even extending the chassis isn't too tough a job ( or is it just that I've done it so many times!!). This Churchill conversion needed a hacksaw in a couple of places - one slip and it'd be out with the filler and card!
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 3,179 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 06:04 AM UTC
Dave:
Nice looking AVRE... great subject...

Quoted Text

Some of the photos have an orange 'cast' to them, this is due to the early morning sun!

Just couldn't wait to get it posted, huh?
DaveCox
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 08:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Dave:
Nice looking AVRE... great subject...

Quoted Text

Just couldn't wait to get it posted, huh?

More like trying to take my pics before the rest of the family were out of bed and getting in the way!!!
barv
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,594 posts
Armorama: 973 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 11:42 AM UTC
Dave,
Looks great----know about cutting up kits -got to be done Just cut off my churchill's nose.
What do you all do with all the excess bits from conversions ---know any one that wants 26 challenger kits -MINUS-running gear and hulls :-[
Whats next Dave--?
aye,
barv
DaveCox
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 12:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Dave,
Looks great----know about cutting up kits -got to be done Just cut off my churchill's nose.
What do you all do with all the excess bits from conversions ---know any one that wants 26 challenger kits -MINUS-running gear and hulls :-[
Whats next Dave--?
aye,
barv

I've got three Churchill turrets - two tamiya and a spare resin cast part suitable for the markIV, plus two boxes of general parts, a box just for Sherman bits and another of figures that I'll never use (eyesight going so I don't do 1/35 crews now)! Most of the cut off parts are just scrap, but items like the mudguards and stowage etc are saved.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 12:31 PM UTC
I have always found the Churchill to be an interesting looking tank. You certainly did a nice job there Dave.
sas
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 256 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 05:09 PM UTC
Excellent looking AVRE Dave,love that configuration,very nicely done! Hey listen I could sure use those figures and sherman parts if you want to part with them,would be greatly appreciated.
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 05:39 PM UTC
Any crew going on there?
DaveCox
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 07:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Excellent looking AVRE Dave,love that configuration,very nicely done! Hey listen I could sure use those figures and sherman parts if you want to part with them,would be greatly appreciated.

I could easily sort out a load of figures for you Russ, but a lot of the Sherman parts are things like 105mm turrets left over from converting Academy M51s etc, plus I've still got a couple of Shermies in the pipeline. Could sort a few bits for you. I'll PM you about it.

Alan - no crew on this one. I may try on a Brit. M8 that I've got in the 'line, but don't do many figures now.
Davester444
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 850 posts
Armorama: 548 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 08:14 PM UTC
Dave, that is one nice tank! I think I've got a picture somewhere of me sitting on one of those when I was about 2. There's one still intact at Juno Beach.
 _GOTOTOP