Hosted by Darren Baker
Roo's Heavy Hauler finished!
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 11:12 AM UTC
well at long last I have finished this totally scratchbuilt 1941 Ford (Australian) prime mover and it's load of empty barrels being returned for re-filling.

Any comments or nit pics are welcome.

a full picture log (105 plus) of the intire build is here http://armorama.com/photos/showgallery.php?cat=13896&si=&page=1&sort=8&perpage=10&password=&ppuser=1363&stype=0

drums are resin and are availiable from 'ARMS MODEL IT" www.armsmodelit.com.au
I will be doing a review of these soon for Armorama.

thanks
Cliff
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 12:23 PM UTC
I'm sure I've seen that heavy red dust in wildlife & travel programmes on the TV. Really neat job you've made of this Cliff, I'm genuinely impressed.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 12:28 PM UTC
Very Nice Cliff..... What's next?????
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 12:49 PM UTC
Bravo Brother Roo. It turned out beautiful. I like the folded tarp in the front of the trailer. These old barrels are great. You said they are all resin? Who makes them? Bravo and three cheers
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 01:34 PM UTC
A very impressive model Mr. Roo. Love the load. How many barrells have you used? Must have set you back a bit, with so many resin ones. Have you used fillers in the middle, or is it completely barrells? As Dave has already said, the tarps are another nice touch.
The truck is excellent. Ive seen a few pictures of these trucks loaded like this. It will definately stand out in your model display. Nice one!
WeWillHold
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,314 posts
Armorama: 1,905 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 01:42 PM UTC
Cliff

A stunner, and fully scratch built. I kneel.

I know you have based this entire build on actual pics, so my question does not doubt your portrayal here (it's fantastic)-----but how did they keep the whole load from shifting to the front or back if quick braking, or forward lurches, were encountered? This could certainly occur as you Aussie Hounds down under do place your drivers on the "wrong" side of the cab :-) :-)

Cliff, you know I'm kidding, but I am serious about losing the load off the front or back end, so if you have some insights I would appreciate it. Thanks pal.

Steve
tankysgal1
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 1,430 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 05:18 PM UTC
Most excellent speciman you have there. Very realistic looking model. And to think you built this all from scratch. I definately believe all you hard work has paid off. Great job. Do you think we could see some of the actual photos you based this on..would love to see them.
Mary(K)
sas
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 256 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 05:20 PM UTC
Very well done Cliff,is that what you would call a cutdown cab,for weight reasons? The load I`m guessing was done this way to achieve a maximum payload. Most excellent build Cliff,congrats on a wonderful effort.
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Saturday, March 12, 2005 - 08:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

but how did they keep the whole load from shifting to the front or back if quick braking, or forward lurches, were encountered?

Steve it is noticeable by this comment that you are too used to driving modern vehicles with good brakes. A sudden stop for these beasties would be 100 plus yards and only if the brakes did not overheat! :-)

Seriously though the ridges in the drums kept them from moving too far and as I say they had all the room in the world at 40MPH to just slow down rather then brake suddenly and these guys stopped for nothing once they were on the way.

Quoted Text

Have you used fillers in the middle, or is it completely barrells?

Frank I had to use balsa wood fillers in the centre as the resin drums were too heavy to use in total especially 78 of them.

Quoted Text

is that what you would call a cutdown cab,for weight reasons?

Russ these were made new this way especially for the Australian army. I acted as bracing as the doors etc used to fall off due to vibration. The mudguards were done for the same reason.

Quoted Text

These old barrels are great. You said they are all resin? Who makes them?

drums are availiable from 'ARMS MODEL IT"
www.armsmodelit.com.au
I will be doing a review of these soon for Armorama.

thanks for the comments guys. I must admit to having trouble finding an Australian Museum who want to permanently display my models at the moment so I may, just MAY, send them overseas for display.

Cliff
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 13, 2005 - 05:03 AM UTC
Howdy my 'Roo-tabaga buddy!

Man o' man!.....every time I stop by one of your build threads I have to prepare myself first.
To avoid shorting out my keyboard from the excessive drooling that is sure to follow I push it away from me. Then, I make sure I'm seated. Then I flex my thumb wheel muscles (so I can scan the pics up and down), and then I finally take a big sigggggghhhh.

As I've said in the past mate, superb work indeed! Your creations are part of the 'fuel' that feeds my scratching engines Especially big buggers like these........
But, just so's the membership here doesn't think I'm throwwin' too much butter your way, I do have some questions....I really like the fact that the bonnet comes off, but would the real vehicle have a split bonnet? Also, (and this is only based upon seeing my fair share of vehicles here in Colorado hauling overly high loads of feed hay going down the road) would the ropes used to hold the barrels in place be tied in a kind of 'criss-cross' pattern? I don't know since you're privy to the reference photos. The guys who haul hay trucks around here actually have a special knot they use to create small loops throughout the length of the rope itself so that they can loop the rope back thru itself at strategic points along the load.......just a thought, but then maybe an arrangement like that would look too 'busy'.....
Oh, and as far as the "heavy red dust" that DaveCox mentioned, that type of soil is fairly common in that part of the world, Australia, New Zealand, Southeast Asia, etc.

You did a bang-up job Cliff. Definitely one to be supremely proud of!
And......as far as this comment is concerned..." so I may, just MAY, send them overseas for display...."
Just remember ya dingo bait.....there's ALWAYS a display case waiting at my place for any of your splendid pieces!!

Tread.
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Sunday, March 13, 2005 - 07:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I really like the fact that the bonnet comes off, but would the real vehicle have a split bonnet?

Tread the truck bonnet is one piece just as I have made it. Only difference is the real McCoy has hinges at the fire wall. Thr half round piece in the middle on civilian trucks was a clip on chrome strip.

If or when I put this one in a dio I will add the hinges in the proper manner but for now it is staying as it is for a while while I finish off another couple of scratchbuilds I have started and also finish painting a couple of OOB kits I have also started.

Thanks for the comments guys
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 13, 2005 - 07:50 AM UTC
Ola Cliff

Well I have followed this project of your`s quite closely and I have to say I`m really stunned by the outcome of it. The Truck together with the huge cargobed is simply brilliant. The rolled up tarp is great
I love the whole look of it. Really used and all looks heavy.... This might be the personification of Heavy hauler in my opinion.
The Oildrums came out great, the rust or red dust is convincing.

Beautiful built mate looking forward to the next built

Hwa-Rang
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Armorama: 1,339 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 13, 2005 - 07:28 PM UTC
That is one fantastic build. Absolutely awesome.
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 6,405 posts
Armorama: 1,850 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 13, 2005 - 08:17 PM UTC
excellent finish Big Brother. load looks great. i know you worked hard on these drums but the final worths it.
congrats
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 6,871 posts
Armorama: 2,071 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 12:15 AM UTC
Holy Moly !!!!!!

I want this as soon as possible , i have emptied my top shelve for that Cliff and hired 3 security guys!!!!!!!!!!!!

u can keep thiese nice shots !!!
I WANT THAT !!!!! DO U HEAR ME DONT PLAY the INNOCENT !!!!!!!!

A M A Z I N G
SOW1
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 289 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2005 - 12:31 PM UTC
Holy smokes, Cliff....... That's amazing. it looks real!!!!!!
generalzod
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 3,172 posts
Armorama: 2,495 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 19, 2005 - 10:32 AM UTC
Cliff
You have outdone yourself on this build It is very great As far as me hauling that load.......I'd be too paranoid that the load would shift :-)
campari
Visit this Community
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 371 posts
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2005 - 07:53 PM UTC
Thats amazing very wonderfull jop congrulations.Rust and seems nice.Also the loads are very good.I love it like it.
As you explain this kind of trucks moves very slowly and for this reason the loads can't be able to slide.However if there is some planks around the trailer, this will hold the barels in a row while moving.But this is not necessary its only an idea.
Again congratulations thats great.
 _GOTOTOP