_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
BA 20M Open Suggestions
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2002 - 11:36 AM UTC
This is the terrible B.U.M's version of the BA 20M kit. The model is a disaster from one end to the other in terms of fit, flash, warps,etc...
I'm looking for any suggestions for a how to fix the "body to chassis" lack-of-fit you can see in the photos below. I'm open to any at all. I have a few in mind, one of which includes tossing it for a Start Model's kit!
The body is placed in the area it needs to be in order for the foward panel lines (out of view) to line up.
Would you cut the chassis trunk area or the rear body's panel or both? Lots of putty?
Thanks for your input.

shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 876 posts
Armorama: 606 posts
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2002 - 12:41 PM UTC
Only answer i have comes from my days as a carpenter ,add styrene eqly all way around and scribe the cut.You should end up with a perfect fit.

Josh WEingarten
aKa shiryon
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 1,109 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2002 - 12:43 PM UTC
Good Lord, Ken! Are those huge sink holes that you patched with putty there? Gotta love that crisp detail on the gas tank (?). I don't know what to say, but if anyone can turn that thing into a good looking model, it's you, Ken.
I need reference pics to understand what it's supposed to look like, but, assuming those spaces between the back piece and fuel tanks and the back piece and the fenders aren't supposed to be there, I can only suggest filling them roughly first with a piece of plastic stock, then complete the job with putty. I have never run into this bad of a problem, though, so don't take my word for the gospel.
Good luck

Nic
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2002 - 12:48 PM UTC
Thanks for the suggestions thus far guys. I still fell like throwing it over the balcony 12 floors down! The only reason I don't is because it was a gift from my wife's sister and her boyfriend.
Lots of work to do still. Hmmm...
Nic, you like those impressive details ehh?! LOL
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2002 - 12:52 PM UTC
I suppose since it was a gift, you can't very well have it as a burned out wreck being passed by a PzIII during Operation Barbarossa, eh?
Anyway Ken, I have the utmost confidence in your abilities. Keep taking pictures of your progress and then write an article on how you made a fine model out of a few curved pieces of soft green plastic. Or write a review. It would be neat to have a kit with zero stars beside its name. (I can use this guy now with my new avatar )

Nic
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2002 - 01:06 PM UTC
LOL, a burned out vehicle on the side of the road or on the corner of my desk. hehehe

I'm already making notes as I go along with it... Step 1: Arrgh Step 2: &%##$!!! Step 3: Not AGAIN!

I only want to get it to look okay. Like in my ole construction days "Putty 'n paint make what it ain't"
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2002 - 09:32 PM UTC
What about attaching some styrne to the inside of the gaps to just 'fill the hole' and then come back on the outside with your filler of choice. With the compound curves it would be hard to sand when the putty dries so maybe you could try the putty/acetone no sanding seam fill trick and kind'of sculpt the seam to comform to the curves. That make sense? lol!
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Monday, September 23, 2002 - 11:18 PM UTC
Thanks Bryan, that's the method I used. I'll show the progree a little later in the day.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 09:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This is the terrible B.U.M's version of the BA 20M kit. The model is a disaster from one end to the other in terms of fit, flash, warps,etc...
I'm looking for any suggestions for a how to fix the "body to chassis" lack-of-fit you can see in the photos below. I'm open to any at all. I have a few in mind, one of which includes tossing it for a Start Model's kit!
The body is placed in the area it needs to be in order for the foward panel lines (out of view) to line up.
Would you cut the chassis trunk area or the rear body's panel or both? Lots of putty?
Thanks for your input.

God I think I have the same kit better check it Is this Eastern express one . Looks like fender comes pre dented . I would cut that gas tank detail out and make hinges and a piece of plastic sheet for it. Maybe would it not be better to use the old parts as a template and make new ones just a thought
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
Posted: Tuesday, September 24, 2002 - 09:46 AM UTC
Maybe just scribing around it would do the trick.......

Nic
 _GOTOTOP