Hosted by Darren Baker
wall panel, in-progress photos
dsc
Visit this Community
Gdańsk, Poland
KitMaker: 247 posts
Armorama: 228 posts
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2005 - 07:04 AM UTC
Some of you are probably familiar with my previous wall panel post in which I've shown a small test piece I made some time ago. Well I've been busy for a while and managed to create something like this:

It's a little bit different form that test piece I've posted. All the rocks are more oval in shape and the scribing is deeper. I might consider adding some mortar after finishing it to maybe give the wall a more flat look. Also I have a question to you all: Maybe you have any ideas on things to add?? Or maybe some useful techniques which can be used here. I'm really seeking some comments on how this panel looks. I'm gonna need three more panels so I'm preparing myself to make a mold. So I guess this is a master model and it should look realistic and good, as all the other three wall will look the same. Thanks in advance for any ideas, comments or criticism. Cheers!

dsc.
feelpanzer
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 122 posts
Armorama: 93 posts
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2005 - 07:33 AM UTC
looks realistic, whatscale is it and what will itbe used for.

A good piece of advice when it is nealy painted and...
put some small pieces of modeling grass in the bottom rows of the wall you will see a natural old piece of wall come to live.

modelling greetings feelpanzer.
Max_Fischer
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 639 posts
Armorama: 258 posts
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2005 - 08:04 AM UTC
Youve Done well on this!
Great job!
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2005 - 08:21 AM UTC
If this is going to be one of three - are all three going to be stacked next to each other? If so you may want to scribe the rocks a bit differently. Make sure that the rocks on the left will 'fit' next to the rocks on the right.

For example - the top row of rocks the far left rock will end up next to the rock on the top right. This will result in a rock that is about twice as long as most of the rocks on the wall. The third row down the far left rock doesn't look like it will 'match' up against the rock on the right.

I hope I'm making sense... If not let me know I'll try to explain it better.
dsc
Visit this Community
Gdańsk, Poland
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2005 - 08:45 AM UTC
feelpanzer: it is for 1:35 scale, those panels will be used for a watch tower that I'm building for a tabletop game

Max_Fisher: Thanks for your kind words!

Scott: the walls aren't going to be stacked next to each other, so there should be no problems with the rocks fitting together.

Thanks for your comments guys!

cheers,
dsc.
Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 5,435 posts
Armorama: 2,762 posts
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2005 - 09:34 AM UTC
I have no advice (as I never build a building myself before) but I have a question for you....do you have in-progress pics of how you made this wall? Looks very cool, I'd like to know how you made it!

Cheers,
Martin
dsc
Visit this Community
Gdańsk, Poland
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2005 - 08:07 PM UTC
I don't have any in-progress pics, but I will try to take some when finishing this panel. I will try to post them later today. One question about the wall: Do you think the scribing is too deep?? Sometimes when I look at it it looks more like a cobblestone than a wall. Do you agree with that?? If so, maybe you have some advice to change that. I was thinking about using some wall filler to flaten the spacing beetwen the rocks. What do you think??

regards,
dsc.
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 2,394 posts
Armorama: 1,695 posts
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2005 - 08:38 PM UTC
Dsc, I am a big fan of stone walls and beleive the scribing depth to be fine. Cheers Kevin
tankysgal1
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 1,430 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2005 - 08:41 PM UTC
I love the look of the wall so far..but..i do think that the scribing maybe a bit deep..it does take on the feel of cobblestones in my opinion...But ..if you plan to put some mortar on it..that should take care of it...
Mary (++)
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 6,871 posts
Armorama: 2,071 posts
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2005 - 08:45 PM UTC
well i think the scribing is fine and the overall look will be super. Living on an island with only stonewalls, i d say u can add from small gradd vegetation to lower parts, some tine flowers coming out of the lower craks andseams and also some green smooth stuff that is cause from humidity in the side of the building that sun doesnt see too much . I d also reduce the seams depth a bit, cause builders dont want to have rain sitting in the seams. usually the make the mortar to come face to face with the stones exaxt.y for that purpose.I have done the same in my stone build home. I ll get somepics to show u soon

Costas
blockhaus
Visit this Community
Spain / España
KitMaker: 693 posts
Armorama: 682 posts
Posted: Monday, March 21, 2005 - 09:26 PM UTC
Hello Dsc, I agree with Mary and Costas the scriber is a bit too deep, otherwise these stones look good
best whises
Carlos
Parks20
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 737 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 01:22 AM UTC
I like the look, I don't think the scribing is too deep. I do have a question though,
1. What is wall panel, would that be the same as sheetrock??
dsc
Visit this Community
Gdańsk, Poland
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 06:04 AM UTC
first of all: thanks a lot for all the comments!! it really helps during the construction process. I gotta say I got a bit carried away with all the scribing and I'm really starting to think that it's too deep. You might not see it in the picture but in real life it's about 2mm deep. And the hight of each rock is 7mm. So I guess it's a little bit too much. I've thought a lot about creating a new wall panel and I think I'm gonna do that. In fact it's drying right now. I've taken pictures during the casting process and will take more, when adding all the details. Next thing I'm not happy about is that the rocks are a bit too oval. They really look like cobblestone. With my new panel I will try to achieve something like this:

I think it looks more like a wall, plus it hasn't got any deep scribing. What do you all think?? Do you agree that it should look more realistic?? Once again thank you for your input and cheers!!
Oh and one more thing: Costas, it would be really helpful if you could post some of your pics, also thanks for your ideas mate!!

dsc.

PS. I don't really understand your question Parks20. If you could write a bit more maybe I will be able to answer:)
Themage
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 44 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 05:31 PM UTC
I think in your first shot the bricks look real good. The 2nd photo looks better then the stones in first shot. I like to have lots of depth in models and that means for me to make the things look better in the scene not exactly accurate.
wampum
Visit this Community
Tekirdag, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Armorama: 661 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 09:48 PM UTC
Hi,
In your first shot the bricks seem to me very realistic. If you can resolve the deep scribing problem the stones would look much more realistic, too. In your second shot, I can't find anything to comment, it looks very very well.
Neill
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,255 posts
Armorama: 485 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 04:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Do you think the scribing is too deep?? Sometimes when I look at it it looks more like a cobblestone than a wall. Do you agree with that?? If so, maybe you have some advice to change that. I was thinking about using some wall filler to flaten the spacing beetwen the rocks. What do you think??Regards, dsc.

FIRST they are excellent! Most people would be happy with what you have done. Perfect, No, but then again none of our work is perfect... to answer your question:

Depends on what you are trying to reproduce...

If a wall with mortar between the rocks you maybe ok. If a dryfitted field stone wall, then I agree with you, their is to mcuh gap. they look more like cobblestone paving. your filler solution is great. Also remember you can use vines and lichen/moss to fill gaps also.

There are lots of great wall articles you might check out here at Armorama... if you ahve not already. here is mine - Basic wall construction

Keep up the excellentwork. I look forward to seeing more!

Neill

dsc
Visit this Community
Gdańsk, Poland
Posted: Wednesday, March 23, 2005 - 12:06 PM UTC
Again thank you for your comments guys!
Neill: I've seen your article about wall and road construction. I think it's great!!

Quoted Text

...they look more like cobblestone paving.

That's the reason I've decided to have another go and make myself a new panel. But in the end it' better this way, I can practice more and came up with a cool idea to add some fine texture to the wall. I will try to post some new pictures soon, maybe even tomorrow. Hopefully I will finish at least half of the panel, so you will be able to see how it looks like. Cheers mate!!

regards,
dsc.
 _GOTOTOP