Hosted by Darren Baker
WILLYS JEEP (REVELL)
liberator
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,086 posts
Armorama: 783 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 09, 2005 - 02:05 AM UTC
my willys jeep! the front fender and mudguard is something new from revell. did they used this during WWII? i haven't seen pictures with front guard. i guess they did.

Martinnnn
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 5,435 posts
Armorama: 2,762 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 09, 2005 - 02:33 AM UTC
Hi mate,

I like your jeep. Does the kit come with that radio?

I'm not sure about the mudguards...haven't seen them on any pic either.

What's your opinion on the quality of the kit?

Martin
winters1
Visit this Community
Brussels, Belgium
KitMaker: 166 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 09, 2005 - 03:32 AM UTC
hey

I never saw those mudguards on a WWII willys, but if you already glued them on your model you can still make a Vietnam-version. IF you make the 'Nam version tou can make a MUTT of it.
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 09, 2005 - 08:43 AM UTC
WW2 jeeps do not and never have had mudguards like that. So I guess it is post WW2. Can't remember seeing a jeep in Korea looking like that either.

Nice job of the build though
SgtWilhite
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 470 posts
Armorama: 362 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 09, 2005 - 08:48 AM UTC
Excluding the mud guards, you did a great job on the Jeep. Looks very good to me.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 09, 2005 - 12:53 PM UTC
I've taken photos of one of Patton's Jeeps he used during WW2 and they had all sorts of funny fender coverings. Out of the tens of thousands of Jeeps in use, I think it would be kind of hard to say never.
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 09, 2005 - 01:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I've taken photos of one of Patton's Jeeps he used during WW2 and they had all sorts of funny fender coverings. Out of the tens of thousands of Jeeps in use, I think it would be kind of hard to say never.

Rob I have seen thousands of jeep pictures and never seen one with mudguards like that.

May I have a copy of your Patton jeep pics for my collection please?

thanks
Cliff
Sabot
Posted: Saturday, April 09, 2005 - 03:53 PM UTC
I apologize for the quality of the photos. I took these shots using a disposable camera with built in flash. I took more shots, but I wasn't familiar enough with the flash so not all of them turned out.

Not quite the same as the Revell kit, but give some evidence that mudguard/fender variations did exist.

Fortunately, the front fender shots are OK.
http://photos.kitmaker.net/showgallery.php?cat=14401

thunderbolt
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 150 posts
Armorama: 36 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 09, 2005 - 08:34 PM UTC
hej Liberator
Robin is right, late in the war US forces some high ranking officers had "homemade" fenders on there jeeps, not just Patton.
keep up the good work.

straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,352 posts
Armorama: 629 posts
Posted: Monday, April 11, 2005 - 11:06 PM UTC
My Mama always told me to never say anything bad, that someday you might haft to eat them words, it's best to say I don't know, rather then stating a fact about something you don't know.

I know very little about a lot, and gaining everyday, I learn something new everyday, and forgetting just as fast.

Kerry
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Monday, April 11, 2005 - 11:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

My Mama always told me to never say anything bad, that someday you might haft to eat them words, it's best to say I don't know, rather then stating a fact about something you don't know..

I know very little about a lot, and gaining everyday, I learn something new everyday, and forgetting just as fast

Sabot
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 12:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

...the front fender and mudguard is something new from revell.

Not really a new kit. I added a short review of the kit back in December of 2001: Revell Willys Jeep.
liberator
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,086 posts
Armorama: 783 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 04:18 AM UTC
thanks guys..this kit was released 2001!..was new then (here) when i bought it last year. off topic..will it be alright to post my ambulance jeep (italeri)..with little red stains on the stretchers? it wouldn't be an ambulance without those details.
Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,192 posts
Armorama: 1,615 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 05:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

! the front fender and mudguard is something new from revell. did they used this during WWII?

If by "fender" you mean that lump of angle-iron sticking up from the front bumper, yes they did, it's a field modification to protect the crew from piano wire strung across roads (aimed @ despatch riders) when the screen is down.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 07:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

! the front fender and mudguard is something new from revell. did they used this during WWII?

If by "fender" you mean that lump of angle-iron sticking up from the front bumper, yes they did, it's a field modification to protect the crew from piano wire strung across roads (aimed @ despatch riders) when the screen is down.

No, the fenders are the pieces of sheet metal covering the front openings over the tires. The piece you are talking about is a cable/wire cutter. Used, as you stated, to defeat wires strung across the road at neck height.
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 12, 2005 - 06:47 PM UTC
You done a good job on this Revell jeep, and I think it's great Revell brought this style out, I knew I had seen it some where with the front fenders, but I couldn't remember where, until you brought out them Patton Museum pictures again, then I remembered where I had seen them before.

Kerry
Sabot
Posted: Wednesday, April 13, 2005 - 01:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

You done a good job on this Revell jeep, and I think it's great Revell brought this style out, I knew I had seen it some where with the front fenders, but I couldn't remember where, until you brought out them Patton Museum pictures again, then I remembered where I had seen them before.

Kerry

The photos are not from the Patton Museum. They are from the Quartermaster Museum at Ft. Lee, VA.

The Patton Museum does not have one of Patton's Jeeps on display. The have the Cadillac staff car he was in when he had his accident and one of this command post trucks.

The Jeep on display is a replica of one that Elvis was working on when Colin Powel (as a young Lt.) met him.
Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,192 posts
Armorama: 1,615 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 19, 2005 - 05:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

No, the fenders are the pieces of sheet metal covering the front openings over the tires

Ah, my mistake. The subtleties of a shared language! In the UK fenders are either something hung on the side of a boat to protect it from rubbibg, or round your fireside to put your feet on!
jRatz
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,171 posts
Armorama: 541 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 19, 2005 - 12:18 PM UTC
I am going to stick just the tip of my toe into this one, as I'm not a jeep-person & they can be a crowd ....

I think the front wheels are too far forward -- the front of the tire should be about even with the radiator.

Having said that, it would appear the bumper also extends a bit too far forward, say by about half-again actual.

I always thought the grill slats were equi-spaced & equi-length, not shortened on each side.

Where the custom fender extensions came from, I won't even venture to guess. I would have hoped the kit manufacturer would provide some indication.

None of the above is a comment on the build, which is quite nice.

John
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 19, 2005 - 08:41 PM UTC
Those pictures of them jeeps, and waxed Patton, where ever they came from, are the same pictures I seen, on the computer before., but that don't take away from it being a good model.

Kerry
Sabot
Posted: Wednesday, April 20, 2005 - 01:11 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I am going to stick just the tip of my toe into this one, as I'm not a jeep-person & they can be a crowd ....

I think the front wheels are too far forward -- the front of the tire should be about even with the radiator.

Having said that, it would appear the bumper also extends a bit too far forward, say by about half-again actual.

I always thought the grill slats were equi-spaced & equi-length, not shortened on each side.

Where the custom fender extensions came from, I won't even venture to guess. I would have hoped the kit manufacturer would provide some indication.

None of the above is a comment on the build, which is quite nice.

John

Minus the wire cutter, extra fender/mud guards, .50 cal & radio, it is still the standard Italeri Jeep that's been around since the late 70s and early 80s. It was the best one until Tamiya released the new one around 2000. The front tire does look too far forward, but I am not a Jeep expert either.

As far as the Patton Jeep photos. I took them with a disposable camera in 2003 and have never showed them publically until I scanned them into my computer earlier this month. I didn't think they were very good quality shots and didn't think anyone would have use for them.
 _GOTOTOP