My M113 Nam
Urutu
Visit this Community
Parana, Brazil
KitMaker: 40 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, April 15, 2005 - 12:53 PM UTC
Hello!

Here is my last model, an Academy M113A1 in Nam colors. I hope you enjoy it!

More pics here in my web album: http://photos.kitmaker.net/showgallery.php?cat=14428

Bye,

Marcelo
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Friday, April 15, 2005 - 01:05 PM UTC
Looks great. I like all the gear and magazines in the back.
pfc
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,017 posts
Armorama: 752 posts
Posted: Friday, April 15, 2005 - 01:40 PM UTC
Looks great. All those little details are really nice. Keep up the good work,
Mech-Maniac
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
Armorama: 1,319 posts
Posted: Friday, April 15, 2005 - 02:12 PM UTC
very nice, like the little details in there
GungHo
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 48 posts
Armorama: 15 posts
Posted: Friday, April 15, 2005 - 03:19 PM UTC
That's a really nice looking M113......nice detailing for sure
Slug
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 705 posts
Armorama: 505 posts
Posted: Friday, April 15, 2005 - 03:31 PM UTC
Nicely weathered, lots of interesting gear to look at.
Needs alittle dirt on the ramp and inside, also maybe worn paint, that "waffle" floor get scraped up easily.
Very small nit pit on an otherwise nice build.

Welcome to Armorama by the way

Bruce

fbuis
Visit this Community
Ain, France
KitMaker: 447 posts
Posted: Friday, April 15, 2005 - 05:48 PM UTC
Very good built!
I love the interior details, there is a toilet paper's roll, isn't it?
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 8,985 posts
Armorama: 3,034 posts
Posted: Friday, April 15, 2005 - 08:19 PM UTC
Where did you get magazines? If on a website can you put them in a powerpoint file. If you got them from a "manufacturer" please give name and stock number and where you ordered it from.
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
Armorama: 808 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2005 - 12:18 AM UTC
Lovely looking M113 you got there, good work. I like the weathering and stowage.

I've got the same model, built and primed. I really should get it done. It has been built for about a year and some time ago I finally got it primed.

Btw. did you use the indi-tracks or the single-piece vinyl ones?
I used the indi ones. Great detail but every single link has a bad sink mark in the rubber pad. I think I got them all filled but after priming I still have to fill the marks on those links that are visible.
Urutu
Visit this Community
Parana, Brazil
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2005 - 12:41 AM UTC
Thanks you very much for the comments guys! It was a very delighteful kit to build.

Bruce,

Maybe the poor quality photos din't show well the waffle tipe floor scratched. You're right, this floor must have the paint off in a very shot time of usage. I did it using a soft point pencil.

Francois,

Yes, it's a toilet paper hanging out the fuel tank It's a detail I saw sometime in other model and I decided to add on mine. It's an interesting and useful accessory for the trrops

Steve,

I did a magazine set by maself using the Internet as source. There are not only Nam era magazine covers out there but we can find also Gulf War magazines and others. I just resized them to 1/35 scale in Corel and took the file to print in a digital laser printer bureau. The result is very nice. I think that a good home printer would help too, but the laser printer quality is higher.

My original file is in Corel Draw 9 and if you or someone else are interested I can send it, no problem.

James,

What is an ariel sticking? I didn't get it

Bye for now,

Marcelo
M-60-A3
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 808 posts
Armorama: 479 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2005 - 01:00 AM UTC
Marcelo,
Thanks for your hospitality. Can't remember when I've been served such a large piece of "humble pie" .
Just when I get the feeling my skills are moving along quit well, reality sets in.
You've done a fantastic job. That's my kind of weathering job. Love that dusty, dirty, grimey, well used look.
The job you've done is a real inspiration for me
Joe
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2005 - 01:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What is an ariel sticking? I didn't get it

Marcel,
He is talking about an antenna. Unless the vehicle has a radio, there would not be an antenna. Can't tell from the pics if there is a radio inside or not.

As to your magazines. Is it possible to use the file in another program, or convert it to another? I don't have Corel Draw, but am very interested in them.
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 6,405 posts
Armorama: 1,850 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2005 - 01:39 AM UTC
Painting and weathering of M113,groundwork and accessories here and there looks very good but my favorite is the awesome detailing of the interior.
congrats Urutu
Urutu
Visit this Community
Parana, Brazil
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2005 - 03:40 AM UTC
Hello!

Joe,

Thanks for your kind words! But it's not all this good. The pictures help to put the model a little up I'm a "detail maniac", I realy like to add everythig I can, but always based on real pictures.

Gino,

Ahh, the antenna.... well, I was aware about the lack of it, but in most of my recent models, I let the antennas out because the place I store them. There are little space for taller things, so I prefer to let the models without the antennas instead to see them broken everytime but thanks for the tip.

I did convert the Corel file in .jpeg image. I'll send you by e-mail here in Armorama.

Bye,

Marcelo

HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2005 - 03:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I did convert the Corel file in .jpeg image. I'll send you by e-mail here in Armorama.

That would be great.
Urutu
Visit this Community
Parana, Brazil
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2005 - 04:18 AM UTC
I don't know why but I can't see the posts in the first page of the topic. The page looks like strange here for me... but just only in this topic

So, who want's the magazines and had posted in the fist page, please post again.

Bye,

Marcelo
M-60-A3
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 808 posts
Armorama: 479 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2005 - 04:42 AM UTC
Marcelo,
I think you're giving the camrea a little too much credit and youself not enough.
I always enjoy seeing what others post. There's so much to learn.
Regardless of how much the camera is responsible for, you still deserve a very well done!
Joe
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2005 - 09:09 AM UTC
It was me that also wanted them. (THE MAGAZINE FILES) I've got the same kit that I eventually plan to incorporate into a diorama as I collect odds and ends for that "lived-in" look. Having spent years in a tank and several months in a track (what we called the 113 in my day) I can say you gave it a real homey feel. You definitely captured the "soul" of a "nam" era vehicle. Add some figures and diorama it up and you will have a beautiful showcase to go with your track.

Look forward to getting those magazines. Now if we could get some Playboy covers it would be perfect
rebelsoldier
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,336 posts
Armorama: 757 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2005 - 09:37 AM UTC
cool beans
just like home
2/11th i see

i was 2/11th, g trp in 70

reb
Urutu
Visit this Community
Parana, Brazil
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2005 - 10:55 AM UTC
Hello everybody!

Hehehe, thanks Joe. Anyway, the model was very funny to buit and I was angry to build one like this for years. The model took about 5 o 6 weeks to be done, be I assure you that the research and thinking on it took more that an year

Steve,

The magazines are on the way! I hope you like them. Take a look and after that tell me what you think about. I guess it's what you are looking for

Good to know I got the Nam spirit. It's very important to me. I relay like almost everything related with Vietnam war and an accurate M113 was a piece that would be very well done.

Rebel,

Great! So enjoy the ride to the pictures and I hope to be as accurate as they (M113) realy were in Nam in your troop.

About the magazines, I chose some MAD magazines to bring more life to my Nam era models. But, some days ago, exchanging some e-mails with a Nam vet, he told me that had naver seen MADs in Nam. Well, I prefer to keep adding them in my future models, even knowing that they probably maybe rare in country in late 60s and early 70s.

Anyway, I think that MAD, as well as Playboys , Life Mags, Newsweek and Sports Ilustrated, are good itens to add realism and life to models and are perfectly acceptables as laisure read material. Any opinion?

Bye for now,

Marcelo
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2005 - 11:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Anyway, I think that MAD, as well as Playboys , Life Mags, Newsweek and Sports Ilustrated, are good itens to add realism and life to models and are perfectly acceptables as laisure read material. Any opinion?

Marcelo,
That sounds like a good variety to me. Thanks again for sending them.
Urutu
Visit this Community
Parana, Brazil
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2005 - 03:14 PM UTC
Eetu, the Finland friend, scuse me for the delay! Because the bug I was seeing in the front page of this post, I didn't answer you. But now it looks like to be fixed (???)

Well, I realy prefer the sigle vinil tracks. I know...I know most of the modelers prefer the link by link ones, but well, I confess I'm a little lazy for some things. Tracks are one of these things...I have two sets of individual tracks here for M113, but I chose the single ones and I assure you that I'm still thinking I made the best choice.

But, as nothing is perfect, I have another M113, this time an old Tamiya kit that I intend to rebuild and do it some US white APC, and this one will have to be built using the link by link tracks. So, the torture are waiting for me in this case. But I thik it's going to be done long time from now

Bye,

Marcelo
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, April 16, 2005 - 04:35 PM UTC
Thanks so much for the magazine file. I printed it out. It is absolutely perfect and the bonus of Desert Strom era magazines Definitely a wonderful gift

Steve Joyce
Urutu
Visit this Community
Parana, Brazil
Posted: Sunday, April 17, 2005 - 01:00 AM UTC
Very nice Steve!

Good to know you did like the file.

Now you have magazines for many models

Bye,

Marcelo