_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
AFV Club Sd.Kfz 251
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
Armorama: 903 posts
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2005 - 10:41 AM UTC
Hi there

Just to really shock everyone, following the good review in FSM magazine, I've bought the "limited edition" AFV club combined Sd.Kfz.251/1 Ausf.D + Pak 40...

I just looked to see if there's a review on Armorama but there's nothing... Now don't all panic! I've no intention of reviewing it - I know I don't have the knowledge to do the subject justice.

Just the opposite; do any of you have experience of the kit? (kits - seeing as it's a combo), or can you point me towards a good reference link?

This will definitely be one for a rainy week or two (months, more like, knowing me...). I haven't built an Armour model in 30 years or so, and this is the first kit I've got with separate track links and an aluminium barrel.

Ahhh! Nothing like jumping in the deep end!

All the best

Rowan
TsunamiBomb
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,447 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2005 - 10:57 AM UTC
I have experience with their AFV club sdkfz 251 without machine gun. It was a weird kit to build, It had nice fitting peices, and horrible fitting peices. The carrage boxes on the sides need to be sanded alot to fit in place correctly. BTW, my last dio "Endless Roads" has it in there if any of you guys are interested.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2005 - 11:29 AM UTC
Two links for ya Rowan...
James Tainton has built the Pak 40 and a 251/9 and there is a step by step for both on his virtual bench on Planet Armor. Eventhough its a 251/9, there will be a lot of similaraties,and coupled with Vinnie´s Dragon 251 notes you should havea good start. The 251/9 has 19 pages of text and pictures.

PAK 40

251/9
Merlin
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2005 - 05:46 PM UTC
Thanks guys

I'll post some pics when I build it - be gentle...

All the best

Rowan
Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,192 posts
Armorama: 1,615 posts
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2005 - 06:56 PM UTC
Rowan, I've just pushed the boat out & done the same. The kit had been on the shelves of my LHS for a week or 2, I finally took the view that you're getting virtually 3 kits in 1 (the ammo would be a seperate kit from AFV Club).
I'll be following this with interest (I'll be way behind, my modelling progresses in fits & starts owing to other factors). I have done 1 AFV Club "251" & Harrison is right, you need to marry up the hull parts quite carefully - I didn't & having painted it before final assembly I've now got gaps.
I haven't had a chance to go through the box yet, do you get any special ammunition stowage in the halftrack?
Looking at the link to the Pak40 build, those gun shield spacers look fun - I'm not looking forward to them!
Target_J
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
KitMaker: 145 posts
Armorama: 63 posts
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2005 - 06:57 PM UTC
Hi Rowan,

I have built this kit before. Very nice kit to build without any major problems. But i would advise that you get the brass rivets that AFV produces for the PAK as well. There are more than enough rivets in the aftermarket set for 2 PAKs.

Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,192 posts
Armorama: 1,615 posts
Posted: Monday, April 18, 2005 - 07:04 PM UTC

Here's my AFV Club 251 (middle, 1032). It does make up Ok (tracks not fitted yet). Fortunately my photography is even worse than my modelling so the gaps aren't too noticeable here!
Merlin
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, April 19, 2005 - 06:07 AM UTC
Hi guys

As far as I can make out, the combined kit consists of 4 items available separately:

#AF35063 - Sd.Kfz.251/1 Ausf.D
#35071- 7.5cm Pak 40
#35075 - 7.5 cm ammo set
#35044 - early type tracks

So the only item missing is the brass bolts.

Steve - I can't see any extra stowage for the ammunaition - I was actually going to ask how it was carried... just piled in?

The FSM review mentions the value of using the side storage bins to align the upper hull, so that might help avoid gaps.

You may well catch me up! I've got a backlog of stuff to do too, but I'll try to make some progress with this as a change from my usual diet. Of course, as a dyed in the wool aircraft builder, quite what my efforts will look like is anyone's guess!

I'll give the new Xtracrylix armour paints a try on this build - I'll try the striped scheme like yours. I could use some advise on the colours to use;

Apart from Olivegrün, I've got 3 x "sand" or "tan" colours:

RAL 7027 Afrika Korps Sand Grey
RAL 8000 Grünbrown
RAL 8020 Afrika Korps Tan Yellow

and 2 x browns:

RAL 8002 SignalBraun
RAL 8017 Schokoladebraun

All the best

Rowan
Sumpfhund
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 39 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 19, 2005 - 11:14 AM UTC
I'm in the middle of the AFV Club 251/1 Ausf. D as we speak. It's an OK kit in my opinion. It does have its flaws although, fit problems on the cargo/tool boxes along the side were a minor pain. I am wondering where they stowed the PAK ammo as well. There must have been some sort of stowage in the rear of the vehicle. Maybe some sort of ammo storage system like the 251/9 was used. Anyway, have fun with it whatever you do!
Ryan
 _GOTOTOP