Hosted by Darren Baker
Best type and brand of grass?
geofroley
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 94 posts
Armorama: 45 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 19, 2005 - 10:42 PM UTC
I'm having trouble finding some good grass to use for my dios. Who makes good static grass? Are the Heki grassmats any good? I'm also having trouble fnding some trees. Thanks for all the help!
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 19, 2005 - 11:41 PM UTC
Woodland scenic makes good static grass, many colors decent prices.
Hiki grass is excallent - check out jackhammer81s diorama on the diorama home page (Die Pressung).
Herchealer
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 1,523 posts
Armorama: 710 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 20, 2005 - 12:27 AM UTC
Yes woodland scenics Static grass Flock is good stuff.
geofroley
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, April 20, 2005 - 09:54 AM UTC
Cool. Does anyone know where I can find some Heki grass? That wildgrass that jackhammer81 used looks good for weeds and crabgrass.
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
Armorama: 2,070 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 20, 2005 - 11:03 AM UTC
Heki is available from scenic express. Which I think is scenicexpress.com

The image in the center of the screen is a "mail to" opening up an email to them to request a free catalog.
They carry Heki, Noch (who has fall brown grass that neither of the others do) and Silflor (which is also amazing!

Not an employee, but a happy customer.
There are images from the catalog in my gallery.

Mike
kbm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 678 posts
Armorama: 448 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 21, 2005 - 03:51 AM UTC
Hi Pat:

I have also had good luck with Woodland Scenics static grass as well as Heki's tall grasses. Also, check out this thread for more information on the Heki:
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/41947&page=1

Keith
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 21, 2005 - 03:38 PM UTC
Best grass I've ever used was by "Acapulco Gold" :-) :-) :-)
nato308
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 884 posts
Armorama: 609 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 21, 2005 - 10:21 PM UTC
Heki is an excellant choice. My preferences of what grass to use is really a matter of what terrain you are trying to replicate. Then it is a matter of layering the grasses in a realistic matter. Adding weeds/flowers is very important as well to create that realistic look.
Diversity is the key to good ground work. I would not settle on just one product, but blend several types together. Layer them and blend them together. All the products mentioned work well together.

I myself start with static grass as my first layer. Then I move on to the taller grasses over the top. These could be Heki, Woodland Senics tall grass, unraveled natural hemp rope (dyed if nesscessary). Once all the grass is in place, then go back adding dried flowers, dried herbs and mosses (that I go out and collect from the woods and Pickle). Dried herbs, dried flowers and the mosses (not the lichen) are excellant for mimicking weeds. The herbs can be had at the grocery (fresh would have to be dried) or grow your own in the back yard or pots in the house.

As for the trees depending on scale there are a number of products to be purchased or gathered from the back yard or local woods. Dried roots work well for shrubs or trees. There is another product can't remember the name but they sell it at most railroad shops or good hobby stores, excellant for smaller trees. For larger trees I use sage brush, and some wire armatures or other natural products for the smaller branches it looks great for the older oaks, maples or cottonwoods. The sage brush is sold under the Sweetwater label. For foliage I use dried herbs like parsley flakes thyme leaves or Hudson Allen has good stuff too.

Hope this helps, any questions please feel free to pm me or even Kevin (jackhammer81), we would be glad to help.

Paul
Sealhead
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 427 posts
Armorama: 212 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 23, 2005 - 12:33 AM UTC
Scenic Express has a great line. Heki, Noch are great. I bought their sample packs and they look good, too. Remember, the field grass we spend a fortune for is just human hair. Do you have a local, freindly barber like I do. I feel like a scalper as I was given several ponytails that people had cut off and have a multiple lifetime of fine field grass.
I don't like the flock. Shredded foam is starting to look like colored sawdust to me. In 1/35th scale you can see leaves, not shredded foam. Take a peek at my feature, "Supertree or Supernuts" under dio. When you see the difference between detail and shredded foam, you'll agree.

Sealhead
geofroley
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, April 23, 2005 - 01:42 AM UTC
I can't see on the sight where to buy the Heki grass. I looked up some sage brush tree kits on google and theyre so expensive!
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 2,394 posts
Armorama: 1,695 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 23, 2005 - 07:34 AM UTC
Hi Pat, Sorry I got to this so late. Here is a link for you to order Heki grass. I would recommend the wildgrass by them also as stated earlier noch and silfor make some great stuff.
http://www.eurorailhobbies.com/erh/heki.asp
Scenic express is a lot closer to you and I would recommend you order there as the link I give requires a 35 dollar minimum order. But heck at least you will get the part numbers for the grass you want :-) Alos check out your local model train hobby shops. I have recently been seeing the heki grass available at them. As Nato308(Paul) stated you can call on him or I anytime if you need any help. For that matter I think any one on this site that has used it will be happy to lend a hand. Cheers Kevin
 _GOTOTOP