_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
20mm Flak ground role, how common?
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,127 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Friday, April 22, 2005 - 02:27 AM UTC
can any german ww2 experts help me,

i was thinking of a dio idea, but need to know how common it was for the 20mm flak gun to be used in a ground role, as it was in saving private ryan. ie left mounted on its carriage and pushed around by troops

any info or pics would be appreciated

regards

joe

sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 2,605 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Friday, April 22, 2005 - 04:30 AM UTC
It was very common for the Germans to use their flak systems in a ground role. Their 88mm flak guns became one (if not the most) feared anti-tank gun.

The 20mm system you are referring to was commonly used and did not vary any in appearance when it was used in the ground role (except its barrel wasn't pointing up :-) ).

The guns were typically pulled by some type of vehicle.

I have a WWII DVD that shows a quad 20mm mount on a half track that is firing into an apartment building from a hillside several hundred yards away during some battle in russia.

keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
Armorama: 2,844 posts
Posted: Friday, April 22, 2005 - 04:48 AM UTC
I have seen pictures of the 20mm flak used in a ground role, during Market Garden. Those were off of their carriage, however.
HTH,
Shaun
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,659 posts
Armorama: 1,512 posts
Posted: Friday, April 22, 2005 - 07:59 AM UTC
I've got a photo in one of my books of a 20mm mounted somehow on a Africa corps horch off the carrage and being used for ground support.

DutchBird
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,144 posts
Armorama: 526 posts
Posted: Friday, April 22, 2005 - 08:11 AM UTC
I have not seen any pics...

I have however read someone post that it actually could be fired right from the trailer, and actually was used that way.

IIRC some of the 88mm Flaks could be fired while still mounted on the trailer by design (it depended on the trailer) if used in the AT role I might have to reread the passage, but it might be that in cases of emergency the Germans even fired their regular Paks while still attached to the tractor. They already had the rounds stashed on the legs.
 _GOTOTOP