_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Guntrucks!
Guntrucks of all nationalities and flavors.
Hosted by Darren Baker
First Softskin Finished
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 760 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 01:30 PM UTC
This is my first softskin ever. It was a pretty fun kit to build, but as modellers are apt to say about AFV Club kits, it was a bit fiddely. My only real disappointment with the kit was the decals which as you can see have become a bit shiny. This happened even after a liberal coat of Future before placement and an even more liberal treatment with Solvaset. They looked great at first, but after a couple of weeks of sitting on my shelf they did what you see here (yeah it took me forever to get around to weathering the kit).

Slug
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 705 posts
Armorama: 505 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 01:44 PM UTC
Adam, thats a great build. The faded paint effect turned out very realistic looking and the subtle weathering is consistance throughout the model. To bad the decals let you down, not sure if your using a decal solution or not, but it really helps to settle down stubborn decals ( so much is riding on the little buggers)
Bruce
liberator
Visit this Community
Luzon, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,086 posts
Armorama: 783 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 02:33 PM UTC
very nice build and weathering..i've got one myself but haven't started it yet. did you do any scratchbuilding on the base of the anit-aircraft? it's just a minor detail.. the kit didn't supply any details on that particular area. it was supposed to be an anit-aircraft on trailer and the marines mounted it at the back of the truck. the manufacturer should have shown even little detail of AA-gun chassis and some parts of the axle. i think mr. guntruck have that details. your project is an excellent example of the marines guntruck (nam)..thanks for sharing.
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 02:53 PM UTC
You did a great job on the OOB build. If you had glossed coated the areas before applying the decals you would not have had the silvering effect. A gloss finish will be a smoother area for the decal to lay down in. After the decal has set you can go over it with a flat clear finish and the final weatherizing. The instructions for decal placement is not correct as it pertains to the hood star. All our trucks have the point to the front. But this aside you have built a very nice example of the kit. Guntruck or myself can help you with any corrections on the Trucks in the future. I have many photos of the different trucks that served in Nam. We have been thinking about a gun truck campaign with a little twist. Kind of a build along where we build basically the same truck in stages. Just have to think up the proper way to present it to the general membership and get a feeling on who might be interested in this kind of build. I really like you finish and weathering. It looks like the way I remember a lot of the trucks looked. Bravo.

By the way the Nancy is an 8th Transportation group US Army Vehicle. It was first used for perimeter security support and then put into service as a convoy security vehicle.
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
Armorama: 1,867 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 03:23 PM UTC
Adam, nice build. Shame about the decals on the bumper silvering...however, they can be fixed. If you use a new #11 blade and make a small slit in the middle of the decal, you can add a drop of decal setting solution and it should find its way under the decals and help them settle down. I've had to do this a couple of times myself, even after gloss coating. Once again, nice build. "Q"
Pedro
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Pomorskie, Poland
KitMaker: 1,208 posts
Armorama: 1,023 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 05:09 PM UTC
Hey Adam!
Your truck is indeed a very nice built, I like weathering on her as it is quite light and realistic.

Cheers
Pedro
avukich
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 760 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 12:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

If you had glossed coated the areas before applying the decals you would not have had the silvering effect. A gloss finish will be a smoother area for the decal to lay down in. After the decal has set you can go over it with a flat clear finish and the final weatherizing.

This is exactly what I did and why I was a bit disappointed with the decals. I used Future on all of the areas that I was going to put the decals and let it sit overnight. Then I applied some Solvaset on the spot, placed the decal, and put some more Solvaset on top. I let that sit for two days and then used a flat clear laquer on top. Everything was fine until about a month later I noticed that the decals had started to silver.

Oh well, it just validates my always wanting to use dry transfers if I can.

Quoted Text

did you do any scratchbuilding on the base of the anit-aircraft?

No, I built this almost totally OOB as a favor for a local modelshop in my area. The only thing that I added was the material for the mirrors to make them reflective.

Thanks for all the positive comments and helpful suggestions.
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 12:53 AM UTC
I know that trucks ar enormally softskins but that beast looks armored up, locked, cocked and ready to rock!!
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 - 11:30 AM UTC
Good job Adam - and I am partial to "Nancy" to say the least.

I think your silvering process happened because Solvaset attacks Future Floor Finish. Solvaset is too strong - better used for a lacquer-based gloss coat. I recommend when using Future Floor Finish, either Polly Scale Gloss & Flat (excellent results) or ModelMaster Gloss and Flats (best applied thinned 50% with lacquer thinner and shot through an airbrush).

I did a lot of research on this truck and Eduard based their photoetch detail set off my model(s). If you ever want to give "Nancy" another go - give me or Dave "Animal" Willett a shout. One can never have too many gun trucks in their collection!

Gunnie
 _GOTOTOP