_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Morris Commercial from Ford?
Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,192 posts
Armorama: 1,615 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 09:37 AM UTC
A couple of questions for the "truckies". If I want to build a 25 Pdr Gun team for NW Europe, can I get away with the Tamiya Quad, which is a Ford? I seem to remember reading somewhere that the Canadian pattern Fords were the most numerous (the ones with the rearward sloping windscreens), but nearly all the photos I've seen are Morris Commercials. So here's the second question, if the UK Ford is no good for NWE is the Tamiya kit easy to chop to a Morris? They look fairly similar, the main difference seems to be the radiator grill. Was this a standardised body with the manufacturers grill on it? Would you get mixed manufacturers in the same battery, or would they all be the same (units concerned, RA Regiments in 7th AD or 53rd ID)?
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 04:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

So here's the second question, if the UK Ford is no good for NWE is the Tamiya kit easy to chop to a Morris? They look fairly similar, the main difference seems to be the radiator grill.

Actually they are very different in almost every detail. I suspect you would be better off starting from scratch and making everything yourself. The sizes, angles and details of every part are similar to, but different than the Morris vehicles.

Paul Roberts
President
Armor Modeling and Preservation Society
DaveCox
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 05:29 PM UTC
All the references that I have indicate that the CMP Chevy (as per the Italeri kit) was more common than the Ford. Also, as Mr Roo pointed out to me recently, the Tamiya kit is nearer 1/32 than 1/35.
I've seen conversions from the Tamiya & Italeri kits to make the Guy 'Quad Ant' tractor, but even this required a whole new front end and doors to be scratchbuilt.
The bodies were made to a regulated design, but had differences to fit the different chassis so there are many variations
As to your other question, it would be rare to see mixed vehicles in a battery or even regiment as this would complicate the logistics of providing maintenance and spare parts.

(Edit) 3RHA & 5RHA were the artillery units with 7th Armoured in September 1944 and were equipped with Sexton 25pdr SP guns so far as I can tell, 127 Field Regt. was one of the artillery units with 51 Infantry Div and would have had towed 25pdrs.
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 06:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

If I want to build a 25 Pdr Gun team for NW Europe, can I get away with the Tamiya Quad, which is a Ford?

yes you can even by doing it OOB. But even though I am a fair to middling scratchbuilder I would not attempt to use the Tamiya Quad kit to build a Morris Commercial GT. It would be easier to totally scratchbuild it.
Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 15, 2005 - 09:10 PM UTC
Mea culpa, the ones with the backward sloping windscreens are of course the Chevys! I knew that really!
I think the Guy tended towards the early war years? Anyway, it looks like the Morris is out, a) because it's not convertable (is that a word?) from the Ford, b) there's no way my scratchbuilding skills are up to it! Mr Roo is way too modest if he thinks he's only a fair to middling scratchbuilder!
So it looks like I go with Cliffs "yes you can comment" & do it OOB. I'm not that hung up on accuracy, so the scale thing doesn't matter to me that much. If there were Fords in NWE that's good enough for me, I doubt anyone will see it anyway!
Hohenstaufen
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, May 15, 2005 - 09:11 PM UTC
My manners! Thanks for the gen guys.
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 21, 2005 - 05:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Mea culpa, the ones with the backward sloping windscreens are of course the Chevys! I knew that really!

If you mean the windscreens with the top further forward than the bottom, then they were available in both Ford & Chevvy flavours. That style cab was acalled the No 13 cab and was a universal cab (as were the others the No 11 & No 12 cabs). There are differences between the Ford & Chev versions, of each, but they are small and not immediately obvious unless you know where to look.

The Tamiya Quad is, rightfully, a Ford No 12 cab while the Italeri kit is of a Chev No 13 Cab.

Just an FYI

Paul
 _GOTOTOP