_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Does anyone make a 1/35th German ammo trailer
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 2,605 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2002 - 12:51 PM UTC
Does anyone make a 1/35th scale kit of a German WWII ammo trailer? The trailers were commonly seen in conjuction with their self-propelled AA systems. Sdkfz. 7/1, Flakpanzer Wirbelwind to name a couple. Thanks for any help you can provide.
tankshack
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 310 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2002 - 02:28 PM UTC
The ammo trailer for the SdKfz 7 was released by the German Company Elite Models a while back. I have this kit and it's not bad.

There was also an article in one of the model magazine that had a pretty good set of plans drawn up in 1/35 scale.

The trailers were simple boxes that were bolted to the trailer assembly that was usually used for the gun.

Let me know if you're interested in the plans.
Later,
Tim
cromwell
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 202 posts
Armorama: 178 posts
Posted: Monday, October 07, 2002 - 09:57 PM UTC
As far as I can tell, the trailors were based upon the frames used for towing anti aircraft guns. If you have a spare single 2cm flak gun or the 2cm quad flak, use these as a base for scratch builing your own.

I've done this using guestimation rather than accuracy for my scratch built SdKfz 252 ammo carrier. It looks OK, but I'm sure if your a rivet counter it would probably be 2-3mm out.

All the best.

PS if you find anywhere that has or do a scale drawing of these trailors I would be interested.

Crom/Scott
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,411 posts
Armorama: 609 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 08, 2002 - 08:08 AM UTC
I've built 2 different trailers for my German AA guns. Both began life as LEGOS. Take 4 - 6 LEGOS glued in a block forms an absolute square base for the trailer box. I added sheet plastic to finish. A hinge along the back and a handle to the front. I added a hasp to mine.

The smaller of the 2 used the limber from the Tamiya 2cm aa gun. When mounting this gun of the backs of trucks or half-tracks often the trailers were rebuilt into ammo-carriers.

The other - I added a scratch built frame made out of tube brass and wire. The road wheels came from my parts box and began life on a Russian AT gun.

So there are some ideas. Give it a try.
Desert-Fox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 652 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 22, 2002 - 08:45 PM UTC
If you don't want to scratch build..try DES RESINS on the internet. Just use your search engine.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 23, 2002 - 01:00 AM UTC
I forget the manufacturer - Monogram or Italerie that makes a StukaZuffus with an ammo trailer.
You'll probably have to get the trailer as a secondary part of another kit.
 _GOTOTOP