The Forty Pound Dio!~
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 10,889 posts
Armorama: 3,245 posts
Posted: Monday, May 16, 2005 - 11:00 PM UTC
Mr M,

While drooling over your dio for the upteenth time, I think I noticed something that may just be my eye's playing tricks on me... Is the tank commander's beret green? Weren't the Commandos berets green and the RAC's berets black?

No big deal, just hoping I'm wrong...

Hwa-Rang
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Armorama: 1,339 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 12:02 AM UTC
That is one big dio. Absolutely awesome. I love all of those beautiful buildings. I really like that old Renault.
tango20
Visit this Community
Delaware, United States
KitMaker: 1,281 posts
Armorama: 336 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 12:07 AM UTC
Hi Keith

What a fantastic dio,and with all the other extras it will be wonderful,looking forward to seeing the final result.
Dont hurt yourself lugging this monster around..lol
Cheers Chris
kbm
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 678 posts
Armorama: 448 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 02:16 AM UTC
A spectacular dio, even in its unfinished state! Wish I had made plans to make it up to SquadronFest to have the opportunity to see this in person. Any plans to make the buildings, statute, etc. available through your line of products?

Keith
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,586 posts
Armorama: 1,225 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 05:01 AM UTC
Several responses:

The statue is actually a figure from the "Studio 56" line of Christmas scenics. I just painted him to look like a statue... the base was built from Balsa Foam., as well as most of the interior walls, and the Jagerhof. The stuff is amazing, yet so few have tried it.

The British Figures are primarily reposed figures from a variety of sources. Some torsos are from the DRAGON line of excellent plastic figures, but the arms, heads, weapons, etc. are primarily from the Warriors line of resin kits. The German standing in the street is actually a metal figure I found on ebay for one dollar. All I had to do was paint it.

The street and sidewalk base was more Balsa Foam sheets that I just sanded to shape.

The buildings: The first two are older VERLINDEN kits, and the Hotel and the Art shop are PLUS MODEL kits. Plus Model makes without a doubt the finest and most detailed ceramic buildings on the market.

The majority of the bricks (HANSA SYSTEMS) and other debris were part of a new series of debris kits I'm going to start offering in resin... piles of bricks, wood, mechanical peices, and barrels/crates/boxes. Just paint and glue 'em in place! The scale world NEEDS more debris.

Time - so far, about 80 hours... another 10 to go!
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 05:06 AM UTC
You gonna put wheels on that dio base so you can roll it around? Not only does it look heavy but it looks like it may be awkward to lift.

As for the scene itself, it is absolutely stunning. I keep searching the piles of rubble for hidden snipers or other interesting details. It really keeps my attention, which I guess is a great sign of a successful dio.
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,242 posts
Armorama: 504 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 06:03 AM UTC
Kieth,
this is exceptional. I really enjoy dioramas that are highly detailed such as this one. It seems as though you can spend hours looking at it and find something new each time.

I wish you the greatest of luck at Squadronfest.

Steve
PLMP110
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 1,318 posts
Armorama: 837 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 08:29 AM UTC
Wow, what a piece of work! Excellent composition. It really is the kind of work that keeps you looking around for what details you may have missed. I think the one word I'm looking for is...........inspiring.

Patrick
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 09:21 AM UTC
Ola Keith

Well I have to say I have thought long very long before I were going to write this answer to your work. As I kinda know I`m not going to make big friends here. But besides all the "Ooooohhh`s and Aaaaaaaahhs" I spotted some things of which I think need some major work. And I have some additions which could give some extra "Schwung" to this dio. In my eyes (and I`m talking if this was my progress showing here I would say I was somewhere between 50% and 75% of the work.) This may sound a bit harsh but this is the way I see it and I want to give some pointers of which we all can learn.
I will mix it with things I like about the dio. First of all the composition is great. All the big parts form more or less the backdrop and won`t stand in front of the important things of the story
Now one thing that really sticks out for me as a point of attention is the rubble in your dio. 1. it is not enough. The rubble doesn`t give me the idea a full story collapsed down. I`m talking here at the outside of the buildings at the inside you did a quite better job of showing the rubble. The 2nd thing I notice is that it is quite easy rubble. looks like it is mostly loose bricks. Almost like the bricks were stacked onto each other without the help of Concrete. Looks like they only have to stack up the bricks again get out the Broom and clean is the damage site. The rubble needs some big lumps of wall that simple crashed down as one piece embedded in the rubble. This almost always happens with every explosion in a building.
I have found some pictures to show what I mean.

Now the top 2 pics are French color pics from WW1 but also with modern explosions you`ll see the big lumps

Above a common sight in the middle east at the moment. A destroyed house in Ramallah Look at the diversity of the rubble.
Also the addition of a lot of wood on top of the rubble in all sorts and sizes. Also the area of Rubble seems to be very small if these buildings are hit by a grenade or multiple grenades after a heavy shelling the Rubble would be spread on a bigger area. What I also noted was the lack of rooftiles everywhere in the rubble. With the roofs of so much buildings missing you would expect there will be some rooftiles among the rubble.

In your museum you say you only need to do some windowframes but I`d say there is far more to do. The top part of it.. The so called "Bell" shaped frontpart of the house with the round window is actually the attic part. I see you made it a different color there but there is no floor in it. This would be a good place for the museum to store their stuff that is not on exhibition. Plus the roof defintely needs roof beams. Otherwise it is one of the strongest structures I know because it is held in place by it`s own weight.

Above a quite common way of roof construction

A nice addition to your diorama would be one house to still have it`s stairs. This is a part that always would be standing up (even after a nuclear explosion) due to the double triangular shape. I could not find pics but it basically is a fact that stairs stand when the rest of the building had fallen apart. Also you can add a broom cupboard under the stairs.

Then I come to the buildings. Problem with making diorama`s this big is that the level and number of detail rise with the same speed. Bigger dio = more detail to add. Of all buildings you seem to have done the most work of the interior of your museum. Nice wallpaper, Nice boarding around the lower side of the room. Etc. All the others seem to only have a floor and some windows. Add wallpapers, Wooden planking to the walls (for only the half of the room the rest wallpaper) More stuff like Paintings, Crucifixes, A musical instrument. Add more stuff like tables chairs, maybe a piano. The 2 buildings next to the tanks opposite the street of the museum are looking definately as residential buildings. Not as Commercial buildings or offices. but no sign of that is found on the remains of the levels nor in the rubble.
Also it will be really drafty in thos buildings as the only have windowframes but that is actually it. Usually when a window is added in the correct place the carpenter will make a nice finishing to it by adding planks and such so you actually have a windtight windowframe and it is actually completely surrounding the wall. This is a part I really can`t translate good. Here in Holland it is called ("Aftimmeren" basically it means finishing the job)

Above you see more or less what I`m trying to explain. Some nice crafte planks to make it (a) look good (b) keep the wind out. And this with all the windows. Also the floor in the first building at the right side of the tank (looking at it in the first pic.) What happened with the floor?? I only see the beams and some beams pressumably from the floor above sticking through it but there are no planks. Where did they go with the planks? Were they working on the floor at the time of bombing. Did they get eaten by fire? In the last case it is not evident as there are absolutely no traces of fire on non of your buildings. and Fire tends not to let dissapear wood it tends to leave a very course and easy to break black piece of coal which can sit in it`s place for years.

I love the renault car that is covered in rubble great touch.

You already mentioned street signs. I take it that with street signs you mean street name signs. But all sorts of signs like traffic signs german military signs (feldlazarett, Commandantur etc. etc.) just as well as Commercial signs (wood, enamel or painted at the wall (in case it is a French, Belgian or southern german village/city and lookign at the renault I`d say it is france. )
Ok this one is really nitpicky. Lookign at your dio one thing I see is that you used 2 types of streetlights. Unless that second one next to the museum is placed there by the museum itself it would not be of that type. The reason for this is simple. The community would have bought streetlight from one and the same type simply because it looks nicer and more uniform but also they are cheaper in bulks. Believe me when you want something special it would take months and months to discuss the point and finally when the bloody thing gets placed it already reached the cost of 40 times the streetlight. But as I say I`m being really nitpicky here.

The wall around the statue would be really suitable for a derelict German AT gun in ambush position. Also that place could have some more grass and weeds growing around the statue and along the walls. Mowing the lawn was not really a priority in those days.

I take the Jagerhof is some sort of bar. So not only Chairs need to be added but maybe a bar. Empty winebottles. Tables. Some enamel commercial signs of beverages of course.

all the other stuff you already wrote. Things like Drainpipes, Glass everywhere, Electric/telephone lines. Newspapers, Cloths, Broken bottles, Jerrycans and the thing you described as "more stuff in the street" are things you definately have to do as It will make the diorama even more interesting then it is now. Just the simple thing of adding a Red or blue bike is a little touch but which will give another point of focus. Propaganda posters are a must as they will give a hint of the time and location the dio is placed.

I love all the little PE stuff you have added to the windows and such. Those grills were often seen in those days.
Last but not least and I know you will do this in the weathering stages is give the whole thing a good layer of dust. as that is somethign you will have plenty of after a good explosion.

I like the painting of all the elements in your dio and the varietion of color is very good.

Well this might seem as a lot of things but In my opinion a dio must be quite good in detail. in that way the Historical accuracy can be a bit on the sidetrack. Everything needs to be tied together very well and everything needs to be there witha reason. So far you are really on the good track and with some addition this will be a true masterpiece. Give your viewers more to looks at and investigate.

I hope you understand my point(s)

Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 6,871 posts
Armorama: 2,071 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 06:33 PM UTC
Well, this was one of the most complete replies topost, i ve read in Armorama. Robert is a real researcher in the field of Dios and since i respect his ideas and criticism i ll stick on what he already said.
Nice work Keith so far..
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 12:38 AM UTC
Robert - The rafters for the Art Museum are already in place (just didn't make the photos), but agreed - I do need some larger rubble... easily added with a few drops from leftover balsa foam... consider that your contiribution in the final photos that I will take at the show! Thanks for the perspective.

KFMagee
TsunamiBomb
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,447 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 03:35 AM UTC
Robert, wow, you did alot of research and kfmagee, you should be very thankful. I hope when my diorama comes to these stages,ill have comments like that. That also gives me ideas. Well since Robert pretty much took care of everything needed to be said in my mind. Keep up the good work and definatly dont forget to keep us posted!
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 8,797 posts
Armorama: 4,190 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 06:21 AM UTC
Ola Harrison

Research is what makes or breaks your dio`s. Do your research good and the result will be visible in the dio. Of course after the hours of research you have to spend quite some time realising and building it. And I said it before if the research is good enough the Historical accuracy can easily be a bit on the sidetrack as long as you manage to get all the Architectural things etc. right and well thought out.

jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 2,394 posts
Armorama: 1,695 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 06:25 AM UTC
Robert, I have to agree with you. You have done a fine job pointing things out here and its a good lesson for each of us to remember when we start to build a scene. Thanks Kevin
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,242 posts
Armorama: 286 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 07:15 AM UTC
You did very outreaugos job there keith it's very very good and i can't see the difference between the fact that the houses are scratch build or that they are ceramic just great, well done 043
Petition2God
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 1,526 posts
Armorama: 1,294 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 11:22 AM UTC
Wow, it is like a scene from "Bridge too far." Whatever Robert said- some burnt or charred marks would be good.
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2005 - 07:09 PM UTC
General follow-up to "The Monster"... been meaning to get around to this... the scene when finally finished came in at 47 lbs! And it came in SECOND to another diorama of mine that was much much smaller... I only put it in because I had finised it a few days earlier and it was still in the garage when I packed the truck to go to the show!

As the old saying goes - "size isn't everything" after all!

Still I heard one of the judges say that the large dio took him almost 15 minutes to finish reviewing.... the lines were long for quite a while.

KFMagee
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 10,889 posts
Armorama: 3,245 posts
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2005 - 07:29 PM UTC
Keith... a hearty congratulations on your achievements!

Do you have any updated pics of the final dio? And of the one that took 1st place?

Rudi
fanai
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 2,654 posts
Armorama: 208 posts
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2005 - 07:38 PM UTC
congrads keith and well done -oh well second to yourself isn't bad
Ian
Hwa-Rang
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Armorama: 1,339 posts
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2005 - 07:55 PM UTC
Congrats Keith. Well deserved.
Could we see some picture of the finished 47 lbs dio and the small one as well?
Sherman_67
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 265 posts
Armorama: 203 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 10:27 AM UTC
My eyes are poping out of my head right now
Sherman_67
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 265 posts
Armorama: 203 posts