_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
T_Terrific
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 04:51 AM UTC
It has been some time since I have banned someone from Armorama. I am sorry to say that "T_Terrific" is the latest member to be added to this very small list. Since joining Armorama Tom's posts have always had an adversarial edge to them. When many of the sites regulars and staff members started questioning whether or not Tom was an "official" Troll during his first week here I was willing to take a chance that he was merely "misunderstood" and somewhat abrasive in personality. I think all of us who know him from his stay here can testify to the abrasive part. But his public posts are not why he was banned (for the most part). I cannot say exactly what Tom's problem with Armorama was. Perhaps he was just irate at a few people or with the "system" in general. Whatever the reason he has been fairly constant in his efforts to undermine the site via communications with other members and staff. And that I told him must stop or he would be banned. He did not heed my warning and his account and IP address range are now banned.

Jim
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,242 posts
Armorama: 504 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 05:24 AM UTC
Jim,
I didn't want to be the first or perhaps the only one to say this but, Thank You.

He did seem to be looking for a fight each time he posted a response in the Warships forum. He was always overly critical of others work and seldom made any positive or constructive comments. I applaud those who remained above it and refused to take the bait.

Thank you for keeping this a quality site...my home away from home.

Steve
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,546 posts
Armorama: 1,081 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 05:25 AM UTC
I can't say I am glad he is banned, I don't want anyone banned since we all add so much to the site. But I think the site can only get better without the abrasiveness you spoke of. I support your decision.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 05:52 AM UTC
I for one am delighted. As someone who has constantly been on the receiving end of his infantile attacks I have to applaud Jim's decision. Good riddance to one of the most negative influences ever seen on this (or any other) site...Jim
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 05:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

He was always overly critical of others work and seldom made any positive or constructive comments.

I wonder how well he will fit into FSM's website then? As Al said in another other post, that website is not where one would post critques of modelers' work. That site is where any model gets accolades.
zoomie50
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 358 posts
Armorama: 108 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 06:07 AM UTC
Jim
Can't say that I blame you. I wrote my feelings in a thread called Just My Opinion in the Junk Drawer. If I write something and put it inthe wrong place please move it. I'm still on eof the new guys.

Jerry
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,242 posts
Armorama: 504 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 06:09 AM UTC

Robin,

I would suspect that he won't. To critque is one thing, to run someone's efforts into the ground as he would, is another. It's a hobby for the majority of those who post here for crying out loud.

And no, he never attacked my work, but I watched him attack others and that was just a bit too much as far as I was concerned.

Best Wishes
Steve
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Armorama: 1,245 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 06:10 AM UTC
I also can't say I like the idea of banning anybody without good cause, but I have to say that based on his public comments this site is probably better off without him. I haven't seen so many negative posts from person in all the time I've been here. It's certainly fine to disagree with somebody, but he seemed to take it to new heights, or rather depths. If the behind the scenes comments you speak of were worse than the public ones I applaud your restraint in taking this long to do this.

I'm sure there will be a round of Armorama bashing on some other sites after this, but I frankly don't care what they think.

ex-royal
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,009 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 06:15 AM UTC
His public performances were only the tip of the iceberg guy's. he was rude and inflamatory at every turn. He had a chip on his shoulder about what I dont know. He attacked the staff for reasons only he knows. I credit Jim with having a great tolerance and I can tell you he did this with alot of thought and consideration. I dont think banning will be all that common place around the Big A so no worries guys. If we all play nice it will never be an issue.
Cheers,
Bryan
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 06:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

His public performances were only the tip of the iceberg

That is what I would qualify as an understatement It is difficult to explan just what his antics were beyond the public forums....Jim
mongo_mel
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,580 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 06:44 AM UTC
When talk at my IPMS club turns to modeling web sites, I've always been proud to brag about the behavior of the members here on ArmoramA.
It's a shame that the situation needed to be resolved the way it did but thinking back to Tom T's posts that I've read, it seems understandable to me.
My thanks to Jim and the rest of his staff for keeping the high standards of the site I've come to know and respect.
Craig
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 10,889 posts
Armorama: 3,245 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 08:07 AM UTC
I'm not quite sure how I feel about this...

I hate seeing someone banned and I actually feel sorry for the guy, he clearly has some deep issues which he needs to deal with... I didn't have any direct dealings with him, my opinion is based on reading his posts...

But I was also honestly quite disgusted by his comments today, after reading his post I just logged off Armorama, and needed to take a few hours to chill, I honestly didn't feel like reading any other topics... it just kinda spoilt my afternoon...

Anyway... I wish Tom all the best... and hope he finds whatever he is looking for... the inner-peace and calm we all seek...

Rudi

p.s. Staff_Jim: on a "technical" note... I log into Armorama from about 4-5 different PC's depending on where my "travels" take me, what's to stop Tom from doing the same. I understand you have locked his user account, surely he can just open another under a new user name? A resurrection, so to speak? Not trying to cause trouble, just a curious and legit question...
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,546 posts
Armorama: 1,081 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 08:35 AM UTC
Rudi this happened once before that I can recall with a flamer and Jim had a time of getting him off the site, but I think with a little persistence he succeeded. The person from before only had so many computers he could use.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
Armorama: 903 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 08:41 AM UTC
Hi all

As others have said - I hate to see anyone banned. If nothing else, it's a kind of admission of failure.

I've certainly had my run-in's with Tom - both public and private - and, along with Staff_Jim, I probably argued longest and hardest to give him a chance.

I can't comment on his behaviour elsewhere on Armorama lately but, ironically, in the Aircraft Quiz at least - he was on fine form... posting informative comments in good spirits - which, in spite of all else, is how I'll try to remember him.

All the best

Rowan
Vic
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,697 posts
Armorama: 70 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 08:42 AM UTC

A good decision made here I think.

I haven't been here all that long but each time I found some bad feeling in threads that guy was in the middle of it or was the cause of it and mostly for no good reason apart from what seemed like sick enjoyment of causing upset.

This is a great site and long may it stay so.

Excellent job Staff Jim and all.

Vic
Henk
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Armorama: 4,258 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 02:16 PM UTC
First of all, I think we are giving him to much time...

But to elaborate a little bit, I found T Terrific's opinions questionable from the beginning. But, unless people are racist or something like that, I think that everybody is entitled to their opinion, regardless of my approval. Afterall, most of us model the war that was much about freedom, against oppression etc..
I have received one or two PM's from TT, but choose to ignore them, as I had already said all I needed/wanted to say in the respective forum posts.
People like him trive (and indeed excist) on the attention and recognition which they get from the people whom they antagonise. Ignore them and they will go away..I used my 'hide user' button on him, as that's what it's there for ( well done Jim, a worthwhile, if underrated, feature of the site. ) Note how he has mentioned this other site, in a clear attempt to get people to check it out, thereby enlarging his catchment area. Maybe he knew his time here was running out.
I have met a few people like him during my life, in the flesh so to speak, and inevitably, they are ones who are shunned by everybody who has the displeasure of getting to know them a little bit better. If you have the unfortune to end up working with someone like him, prepare to be either very ( VERY) blund, or h'll be on your back for ever.

If he comes back.. and I wouldn't put it past him to do so under a different name, do as I do, hit that 'hide user' button and ignore him. H'll soon go somewhere else.

That's all from me, for what it's worth.

Ohh, just for those of us who like to fret about things..
I wonder how many people have used the 'hide user' button on ME... :-) :-)

husky1943
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,305 posts
Armorama: 591 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 03:47 PM UTC
Ciao everyone,
I have to admit that I was defending him (and others) today on the site. I had no idea that he was making personal attacks on people or their work. I saw that he was causing irritation to some by "sniping" at the staff. I was well-intentioned in defending him, as I felt that we are all friends here. I guess I was wrong.
It's unfortunate that he is banned, but if Jim believes it best, then I fully understand and support his decision. Personal attacks (or malicious attacks, anyway) are not welcome here! What a shame!
Ciao for now
Rob
Henk
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Armorama: 4,258 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 03:57 PM UTC
Ahh, and another thing, that's why you don't find my email in my profile... I like to decide who knows how to contact me, on my terms..

Cheers
Henk
husky1943
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,305 posts
Armorama: 591 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 04:13 PM UTC
Ciao Henk,
Makes perfect sense, actually!
Ciao for now
Rob
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 10,889 posts
Armorama: 3,245 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 05:08 PM UTC
Rob (Husky1943) - there's nothing wrong with trying to see the good in ppl...

Henk: I haven't yet had to use the "Hide" feature, personally even if I dislike the person I feel it could disrupt the flow of the thread, and I could miss out on something vital to the conversation... but I have been tempted... Don't worry buddy - it's not you... with the email thing... that's why I've got a gmail account... and with MSN one can easily block someone from seeing your profile...

p.s. I'd rather be a raven and soar... than a snake and slither.... caw caw
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,127 posts
Armorama: 1,217 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 08:33 PM UTC
Thank you jim,

as another person who's in the past been on the recieving end of his malicious PM's and forum posts i am far from sorry to see the back of him.

however i admire the patience of particularly you and rowan in trying to be fair to him.

he's had more than his fair share of chances

regards

joe
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 6,871 posts
Armorama: 2,071 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 08:53 PM UTC
Fair decision Jim. Its another thing to hang around and dont appreciate the enviroment and another thing to stand accusing people .
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 11:50 PM UTC
For those that may have some misplaced sympathy for him or (more than likely) weren't at the receiving end of his abuse, these are some of his (un)amusing antics.

1) Constant racist abuse

2) Constantly attacking moderators and anyone he saw as a threat to his 'freedom of speech'

3) Attacking Jim Starkweather and the rest of the staff repeatedly

4) Deliberately 'goading' people into reacting in the forums - History Forum, Warships and almost anywhere else that took his fancy..

So I would suggest drawing a line under all of this and getting on with the real business of the site - modelling....Jim

Vic
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,697 posts
Armorama: 70 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 01:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

So I would suggest drawing a line under all of this and getting on with the real business of the site - modelling

Good idea Jim but I'd just like to say that on occasions like this it is good to let it run a bit (as you have done) so that you guys who are the staff can see the amount of support and appreciation you have got from the members.
Having said that, you probably already know.

All the best

vic
 _GOTOTOP