_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Sigh!
rebelsoldier
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,336 posts
Armorama: 757 posts
Posted: Friday, May 27, 2005 - 07:39 AM UTC
welcome and enjoy
i have gotten the bug back recently also
hope to see some of your stuff so i can learn from you

reb
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,218 posts
Armorama: 1,050 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2005 - 08:46 AM UTC
Thanks guys,

Perhaps some day I might have the cheek to post a pic of my feeble (and I mean feeble) efforts here.

Hi Ian, although I'm marked down as being in Scotland I live in Germany as a civilian attached to the British Army here.

No I wasn't a tankie, I was infantry. though I did get to drive some of the Army's vehicles. e.g Land rover, Green Goddess, Scimitar, Ferret, Saracen, Warrior and of course the infamous FV 432.

Next time I'm in Scotland I might call you.

It really annoys me how few post WWII British models there are.

I would love to get an FV432 which is the vehicle I drove the most and there are still thousands of them about.

It's actually quite hard to go to any British Army base and not find a 432 lurking in some dark corner!

Unfortunately, Accurate Armour (my favourite drool site) are the only people that make them... For about ninety quid! My wife would have kittens when I showed her that offering. If I lived...

There is also a site www.djparkins.com that has some excellent stuff. I want just about all of it! Now, my wife is patient but...
ProfessorF8
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 86 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2005 - 09:08 AM UTC
For what it's worth I'd give my left arm for a plastic Saracen!

Incidently, I was introduced to that little bus through an inherited Dinky toy. Wonder where i can get replacement tires for it...

Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, May 31, 2005 - 09:24 AM UTC
Yep, agreed! I'd love to get a plastic Saracen too but I think I'll end up having to buy the resin one. The site has resin Rapiers and Stalwarts too, sigh!

I just recently got a Tamiya Saladin after haunting eBay for about a year. Due to frantic bidding I suddenly ended up with two of them. (Drat!)

I actually saw a real live Saracen on my base the other day. I have no idea where it came from. I'll have to track it down and get some pics! "Sarrycans" are extremely hard to come by these days!
sapper8863
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 32 posts
Armorama: 32 posts
Posted: Friday, June 03, 2005 - 06:54 PM UTC
Hi Murdo

Definatley look me up if you get the chance. Althought you have mentioned 1/35th scale have you considered 1/76th scale.

As JB Models produce a Saracen, Saladin, Bedford MK, Bedford TK Aircraft Refueller, 1 Tonne Landy and Series III Landy, 105mm Light Gun, all in plastic.

CMSC Do Fodens, Sapartans, Scimitar, Scorpion, Saxon, Landy 90, 110, 1 Tonne Series III Amb. Towed Rapier, Detail sets for the JB Bedford and 1 Tonnie, and loads more. These are Multi Media kits.

BW most post war British B Vehicles in white metal Kits and RE Bridging kit. including a STalwart and Salamander, and a Green Godess.

Cromwell Models Combat Ready, FV432, 432 GPMG, Saxon, Challenger I and II, Cents, Cheiftain Stillbrew. SAS Landy,

These are just a few ranges of the top of my head. The real bueaty of 1/76th scale is that it is a hell of a lot cheaper than 1/35th scale, and space saving, you can know consider doing that battle group river crossing you always fancied doing. If you want to try a JB Models Landy kit send me an e mail to [email protected].

Cheers

Ian
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, June 10, 2005 - 06:29 AM UTC
Hi Ian, (and hello to the rest of you)

Sorry for the delay in replying, I work away a lot just now.

I haven't really done much in 1/72 / 76th scale for a long time. I do have a couple of JB Models kits, the 1 tonny, a couple of 105 mm guns, a saracen and some Land Rovers. I was planning to make a Belfast street scene from the '80s but haven't really got round to it. time is an absolute premium these days.

At the moment I'm building a Warrior and finishing of the Challenger that I mentioned at the start of this post. When I finish it I think I'll grab some courage and post a pic of it.
sapper8863
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, June 10, 2005 - 07:43 PM UTC
Hi Murdo

Please post the photos when you can, I am planning to try and finish a couple of Sherman hulls today and get them into the primer stage. After that I am hoping to start work on a Challenger kit, I just havent made up my mind which one yet.

I may even go and get a Tamiya MKI kit as I havent built one in Ages. Although I may just do a Revell one as I have a couple of these lying around here somewhere. Mind I could cheat as I have a couple of parts started Revell , Dragon and Cromwell ones in the to finish one day pile.

I was thinking of also revisiting my Warrior Family, these are the Revell kits with the cMSC upgrades, that where used a couple of years ago for Horsts display table at a couple of shows, they are all now suffering from to much handling and could realy do with a rebuild.

I had always fancied doing a NI scene, with a HUmber Pig and a Sarrican I even found the Old Esci Modern British Infantry / para figs to have the correct style of clothing and SLRs. just never got round to it, too many moidels not enough time.

As I said my goal for this weekend is to try and Finish the Legends Sherman ARV MK1, to primer stage, correct the suspension on another Sherman, and get the Legends M4A2 SHerman III into primer. Once this is done I will see what else takes my fancy.

Cheers

Ian
sapper8863
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, June 10, 2005 - 08:09 PM UTC
hi Murdo

If you havent seen Dan Hays work on the Chally one look at his site. http://www.onepointed.com/dan/model/

His work on the Chally One is fantastic.

Cheers

Ian
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 09:21 AM UTC
Dan Hays work is scary!
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 09:36 AM UTC
While the subject of modern Brit stuff has come up again (Welcome Murdo from an ex-gunner) I'd like models of the old 105mm Otto-Melara pack-how and a plastic (or cheap resin) Abbott - the two guns I served on.
Anybody know of models of these - I can't find any!
barv
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,594 posts
Armorama: 973 posts
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2005 - 02:44 AM UTC

Dave... Abbot x 2 lying snoozing in my loft-----(renaged commision)----apply on rusty track -pad for trade/barter.
sensible offers accepted---- ----
Murdo --I think I have a spare 432 in hibernation......the afore-mentioned kits are "surplus to requirement".....my Saracen is 3/4 built ...hoping to finish it soon---(hey sapper ..this is a master)....busy on a scratchybuild--"diggy-thing"
You can do it Murdo----like riding a bike---or filling a mag.
aye
BARV
PS...Sapper ...still checking Mk1
Sensei
Visit this Community
Belgrade, Serbia & Montenegro
KitMaker: 1,217 posts
Armorama: 799 posts
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2005 - 02:51 AM UTC
Welcome, you will see that you will learn faster with such a large family to support you

Mirko
Probuilder
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 193 posts
Armorama: 59 posts
Posted: Friday, June 17, 2005 - 03:51 AM UTC
Cringe, and build , Cringe less and build more, pretty soon you cringe at not buying that kit when it was "on sale" then you cringe at other things.

You'll like it here, Lots of cringers to hang with. :-)
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 08:59 AM UTC
Ok, cringe 1 on the way: This is the Challenger I was banging on about. I think it's the first model I've built in about 25 years.

Buggerit!

That's better! AHHHH! So that's how it works!

Not quite satisfied, it still needs some work
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 09:23 AM UTC
Might be getting a fastball short term posting to Helensburgh... Anybody live in the vicinity?
sapper8863
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2005 - 09:41 AM UTC
Hi Murdo and BARv

The photos are great, nice build, The info from Dan Hay may be worth studying to see if you want to add any thing, I would suggest keeping this model as is and use it as a bench mark. to guage other kits you build against. I still have older models lying around here someplace.

Barv, if possible can you bring the sarican to Dundee this weekend, Did you manage to carry out any rerpairs to the Tank Transporters yet. If you still have one of the Abbots availabe I am up for it as I need one for a 50th birthday present.

I may be wrong as usual, but was there not a plan for a 105mm Pack Howitzer possible of Itailian manufacter in a 70-80s modelling mag, either Airfix or Military Modelling.

cheers

Ian
Prato
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 1,002 posts
Armorama: 720 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 10:09 AM UTC
Very nice build! I like the model very much! It's very well painted and very well weathered! Congratulations!
Cheers and happy modelling!
Prato
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 10:57 AM UTC
Yippee! Someone likes it! Thanks guys, having seen many of the exhibits on this site I was expecting to get ripped to bits!

However I would like to know what you see wrong with the model.

Scarily, I think this is one of my best ones.
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 11:07 AM UTC
Oh bugger!...
Just found the "introduce me" forum. I hate to be rude, but too late, but y' know how it goes.
Henk
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
Armorama: 4,258 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 11:10 AM UTC
That challenger looks good to me, I'm not to familiar with the possible nit picks of either the kit or the Mk 1, but your finish is very nice, with good use of scratched crew gear and camo netting. I do like the rain spotted weathering effect, this would not have any thing to do with your being stationed in Germany?

I like it

Newbee my ar@e.. :-) :-) :-) .

Cheers
Henk
Murdo
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 11:35 AM UTC
Nah, seriously, this was the first kit I have built for about 25 years! I first painted it overall Nato green with the Tamiya spray tin ('cos it was a light brown kit).

Having seen the smooth results I bought an air compressor and an airbrush to build and paint the rest of my models... The airbrush makes a HUGE difference!

The rest was all gleaned from this and other sites. After painting it (and being fairly pleased with the results) I nearly crapped meself "weathering" it.

The Oil can in the RHS basket is a spent capacitor from a computer main PCB, filled, sanded and painted. The basket covers are tinfoil, as is the handle on the Oil can.

Wish Wife was so impressed.

Somehow, my other kits don't impress me as much as this one... But most are still half built so I have time to improve them!

As for the rain effect... Nah mate! Germany is right now 35 deg and very warm and sunny. Tomorrow I go to the Clyde in Scotland... 9 deg and raining, lucky me!
 _GOTOTOP