_GOTOBOTTOM
Constructive Feedback
For in-progress or completed build photos. Give and get contructive feedback!
Academy M998 Troop Carrier Humvee
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
KitMaker: 1,538 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 06:42 PM UTC
Hi fellow Armoramaniacs! This is my Academy M998 Troop Carrier Humvee. It's painted overall Tamiya Olive Drab. No weathering done yet here. Small details still not painted yet. No decals. The roof is not glued on yet since I may do some more detailing on the interior.

Comments are definitely welcome!

Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 10, 2002 - 10:45 PM UTC
I've never seen a US HMMWV in OD green, looks rather strange #:-)

Looks like you're having fun!
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 6,043 posts
Armorama: 4,347 posts
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2002 - 10:53 AM UTC
Different !!. Keep us informed
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,289 posts
Armorama: 1,231 posts
Posted: Friday, October 11, 2002 - 11:00 AM UTC
It would be interesting to see a picture when it's all done. Jan
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
Posted: Sunday, October 13, 2002 - 01:56 PM UTC
This was a fun project! Better than a tank actually. At least it only has four wheels to paint. #:-)

As for my choice of color, well.... I was browsing through Tamiya's paint rack at a local shop and I grabbed the first green that looked, well, military-like. Maybe there was a voice in my head chanting "OD Green, OD Green..." so I grabbed that rattle can. Looks kinda nice though. I originally planned to paint it with the camo the Philippine Army uses.
WeWillHold
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,314 posts
Armorama: 1,905 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 13, 2002 - 02:13 PM UTC
Jeepney: Looks like you've done a great job on your Hummer. Hope its been an enjoyable build for you.

For my own education, what are the various colors applicable to the Hummer? Thanks.
Sabot
Posted: Sunday, October 13, 2002 - 02:29 PM UTC
US HMMWVs come in two basic camouflage patterns, solid desert sand and the standard NATO 3 color pattern of forest green, brown and black. Many of the Desert Storm HMMWVs were painted sand over the 3 color camouflage. The vehicles are painted with Chemical Agent Resistant Coating (CARC) paint. This paint is designed to not let other materials stick to it, like nasty chemical agents, but it also works against successive coats of paint. So, green HMMWVs that were painted sand chipped and peeled a lot.

NATO camouflaged HMMWVs had black wheels, bumpers, tow pintle and shackles. Some of them that were over painted sand had the wheels painted sand too, some did not. It depended on the crew painting them. Newer HMMWVs that are issued in the sand color have sand colored wheels. I've got photos of the two basic colors in the gallery (see Rob's motor pool).
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
Posted: Sunday, October 13, 2002 - 02:59 PM UTC
I think that Philippine Army Humvees are painted in forest green, tan, and black. Can't do much research from the computer though.
WeWillHold
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,314 posts
Armorama: 1,905 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 13, 2002 - 03:03 PM UTC
Rob, thanks for the paint info on the Hummers. I just received the Italeri "Commando" and "Tow" version from Model Expo, so I'll check your photos out. I'm assuming either of the paint schemes you described will be appropriate.

Thanks again for the additional info on the paint. Its reply's like yours that make this site the best around.

Steve
Sabot
Posted: Sunday, October 13, 2002 - 04:47 PM UTC
Steve, have you checked out my article on all the various Italeri HMMWVs? It's in the features section and is worth a quick read.
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 13, 2002 - 06:07 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I think that Philippine Army Humvees are painted in forest green, tan, and black. Can't do much research from the computer though.

Hi Jeepney, you can do it in a ROC (Republic of Taiwan) Marine Humvee, it comes with overall OD. #:-)
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
Posted: Sunday, October 13, 2002 - 06:24 PM UTC
Ah! Ingenuity from necessity #:-)

Thanks Dave!

Wait! Do ROC Marine Humvees have the extended air intakes and exhaust?
SS-74
Visit this Community
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Armorama: 2,388 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 13, 2002 - 08:02 PM UTC
Some of the staff or headquarter one does not feature the extended intake, and some of them even mounting a 20mm canon...
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
Posted: Sunday, October 13, 2002 - 08:21 PM UTC
Come to think of it, a quad 50 can be shoehorned into the cargo bay #:-) Gun Humvees anyone?
Bombshell
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 293 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 27, 2002 - 10:32 AM UTC
Nice job there Jeepney!
If I understood it correctly you painted it with Tamiya spray paint, how did that work out? From the pictures it seems like it sprays really flat but also very smooth, which is pretty good for applying decals and washing the kit without applying Future. I may try Tamiya's spray in the future.

Another thing, the headlights on the hummvee look really superb, how did you do that?

Cheers,

CDT Reimund Manneck
U.S. Army ROTC
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
Posted: Sunday, October 27, 2002 - 12:30 PM UTC
Thanks Bombshell!

I used Tamiya OD Spray Paint. It goes on nice and smooth. I had to rein myself in to prevent flooding the kit with paint. Try their spray cans! They're very nice!

The Academy headlights are good enough to start with. They have a nice pattern on the front and a bowl-like depression at the back. Since it was already 0300 when I decided to attach the headlights, I just went with the tried and tested method of painting the backs of the headlights with Tamiya chrome silver. I then attached the headlights to their sockets with white glue
 _GOTOTOP