_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Paintbrushing complex camo schemes?
WakeofDemons
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 47 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 04, 2005 - 10:53 AM UTC
Hey, I have been venturing throughout these forums for sometime now, collecting topics for later references, and all the topics I've been through have been relatively helpful in helping me model again. First off, hello to everyone, and it is nice to talk amongst all you fellow modelers.

Back on topic, I have a question to ask of you guys.... I have just recently completed my Leopard 2A6 and sprayed the base coat with a gray primer, then sprayed a Tamiya NATO green for the base color. Now, my question is... since I do not own a air brush, and having bought this kit all the way back in January of this year, 2005, I am really anxious to paint the camo scheme :-) For this reason, I want to start painting it right now… I don’t think I’ll have the money to pick up a decent airbrush at the moment. Do you think I can get a pretty decent paintjob out of using just a paintbrush to paint in the NATO orange and NATO black respectively? I have read this topic…

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/9472&page=1

However, all the tips given are for WWII tanks and recommendations to using paintbrushes to paint only simple camo schemes.

Now my problem is, is that the three NATO camp scheme is pretty complex, and do you think a paintbrush could do the job? I have done research into the leopard 2a6, and the camo lines seem to be pretty hard edged, I think it should work…

I’ve also tried using stick-tac and laying it with masking tape to block off sections in order to use the Tamiya spray cans, but it seems ridiculously hard for a 1/35 model as appose to this helpful topic…

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/42788&page=1

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/42709&page=1

I’ve also tried using plasticine to mask off the areas, however, it leaves a great deal of oil marks, and unless someone here in the forums can confirm with me that the oil stains are removable, then I don’t think I’ll be using this technique.

In retrospect, my question is, is it possible to pull off a good camo scheme using a paintbrush to paint a NATO three color scheme… or just wait to getting a airbrush and hold off from painting? This is my first model in many years however…
warvos
Visit this Community
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 350 posts
Armorama: 141 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 04, 2005 - 11:54 AM UTC
Hi Alexander

First of all, welcome onboard the Big A.

My personal opinion is that it will be difficult to get even layers of paint on such a large object as a Leopard. You 'll have a hard time not leaving any brushmarks or putting on just a very thin coat of orange or black on top op the nato green without it being to optical obvious it was painted on.
A paintbrush will surely, with some practice, avoid all above problems.
I also think (i'm not an expert) that Nato 3 tone camo is a softedge camo, meaning there is no "hard" separation line between two colours, they kind of blend in. This effect will be very hard to achieve by brush.
If I were in your shoes, I'd wait and save some money for an airbrush and a compressor.. on the other hand, knowing myself, I can never wait long when I want to finish a model and put in on display in my house....

So in short, if you want to use a brush, use very thin layers of paint, well lengtenth by thinner. But, if you do that, masking tape, like for exemple the paper tape you use for painting in the house, will tend to soak up some of the very thin paint, leaving marks under the tape... so , best is not to use any masking tape, and just rely on your painting skills to paint the second and other coats inside the same lines.hey, actually, a final thin layer could actually be painted a little outside the line, giving the impression of softedge camo..
After you'"ve done that, you can buy a spraycan of dull coat (matt varnish) to hide some of the shiny parts or lines which paintbrushing can leave.

Anyway, please show us some pics of your model from time to time, so maybe some of the pro's here can give you advice on certain points of attention so your first model will be a stunner!!

but most importantly, have fun painting and have fun on Armorama.

Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 2,220 posts
Armorama: 1,707 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 04, 2005 - 12:21 PM UTC
Yes, if you are very patient it can be done. The secret is to build up the colors gradually. The paint must be thinned just like you where going to spray it. It may take 5 or more layers to get the result you deisre, but the effect is well worth it. I did just this type of painting on my KV-1C

Good Luck and keep us posted!

WakeofDemons
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 47 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 04, 2005 - 12:29 PM UTC
Thanks for the prompt replies.... can you guys give me a ratio as to how much thinner to paint I should use? Or just experiment? And yes, I'll keep you guys posted with some images when I start painting.
 _GOTOTOP