Hosted by Darren Baker
roo's entry to MEDIC Campaign- part one
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 05:16 PM UTC

this is the Ambulance I decided to do for the Medic Campaign. It is a 1941 Chevrolet Indian Pattern Ambulance (Aust). A lot of these served with the Australian forces during WW2. The only change to the picture will be the wheels.

The base kit is the Tamiya LRDG Chevrolet. Not much of the kit is used mainly the front body panels and chassis with running gear. Chassis is extended by 14mm to get the correct wheelbase for the ambulance.

Any comments are welcomed.

the chassis splice. I now prefer to add plastic in to extend chassis this way as it gives more strength even if it is more time comsuming to do.

the missing bars replaced in the front grill

The headlights drilled out and either clear AM lenses or clear PVA glue will be used to form lenses.

Plastic rod was used to make the 1941 style side lights on top of the head lights.

side vents were made from spare PE. A PE top cowl vent was also used. Brass wire was also used to make the bonnet (hood) opening handles.

A home made resin copy windscreen and cowl top was used complete with dash board. Instrument panel was added from plastic card.

the floor of the ambulance body was also used to strengthen the chassis.

More pics can be found here http://photos.kitmaker.net/showgallery.php/cat/14677
I will update the album as I progress.

Once again any comments or questions are welcomed.

Cheers
Cliff
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 05:32 PM UTC
Very interesting conversion there Cliff.
It'll be a bit of a challenge to get the curves on the roof, but you did it on the previous ambulance so I've no doubts about this one! BTW I always prefer to extend the kit chassis this way rather than build a new one as I find it easier to get it all lined up straight.
I'll follow this build as it progresses.
WeWillHold
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,314 posts
Armorama: 1,905 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 06:11 PM UTC
Nice informative pictorial walk through Cliff. You have the bonnet work down to a science. Nice touches on the head light addies also. It's obvious you have a lot of time/effort into this one already. Pretty cool.

Steve
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 6,405 posts
Armorama: 1,850 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2005 - 06:13 PM UTC
Good to see another Roo conversion in progress. looks very good as always .congrats big bro
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2005 - 12:42 AM UTC
Howdy 'Roo-tabaga,

Glad to see another 'Roo-special' comin' down the pike...

I assume this is the Tammy LRDG kit serving as the base kit?
The frame rail work look's good, and I don't doubt it is stronger.
Nice touch with the headlight 'piggyback' turn signal bulges, must have been a bit of work geting the taper just right on rod so small. Question though, could you not have made them from small 'cigars' of polymer clay? You really should try this stuff Cliff, it will surprise you my friend. And with all the small parts you make out of reconfigured Evergreen/Plastruct, it could only make your efforts a little easier to manage.
In fact, the stufff I use {Makin's Clay}, is a "no bake" clay. So there's no baking or curing at the end of your sculpting work.

Your dashboard work looks dandy as well. I think it's really good that we have someone like yourself not only building these cool vehicles, but reproducing and preserving all of their little intricacies......bloody good on ya !

Tread.
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2005 - 01:01 AM UTC
Roo! I think one of the best things about your interest in trucks is that there really aren't that many popular kits. You really ahve to go searching to find those rare one/ Then to fo and convert them and modify them into exactly what you want to so cool.

Your builds, as usual, are unique and fantastic
USArmy2534
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
Armorama: 1,864 posts
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2005 - 01:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The only change to the picture will be the wheels.

What do you plan to do to the wheels?

Jeff
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2005 - 08:58 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What do you plan to do to the wheels?

Jeff

I have another photo of one of these in Malaya in 1941. It has two tone cammo which is unusual for an ambulance but it has military style split rims rather then the Budd type shown. So apart from the paint job and wheels it is the same vehicle.

Thanks for all the comments guys.

Cheers
Cliff
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2005 - 09:04 AM UTC
Looks good so far Cliff....
Keep us posted.......
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2005 - 09:32 AM UTC
There we go. Another unusual creation by our Roo. You do have the cab down pact now. Will be following this one.
cheyenne
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,185 posts
Armorama: 1,813 posts
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2005 - 10:13 AM UTC
Mr. Roo, very nice build.
May I ask, in the actual photo, what is the rectangular darker color piece on the left front fender next to the grill. Also what is the white top and sides made of in real time, canvass or stamped sheet metal or whatever ?
Cheyenne
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2005 - 12:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Mr. Roo, very nice build.
May I ask, in the actual photo, what is the rectangular darker color piece on the left front fender next to the grill. Also what is the white top and sides made of in real time, canvass or stamped sheet metal or whatever ?
Cheyenne

The darker piece is a number plate attached to the bumper assuming you mean LHS looking from the front or the drivers side as it is RHD. The rear body was made out of a compressed wood fibre board called 'composit' board. In some cases this was just sealed and painted in others it was covered with canvas and doped like WW1 aeroplanes were.

I know of no survivers complete with the back body at this present time as the weather destroyed them quite quickly and also people who bought them at Army surplus auctions after the war took the bodies off to make pickup trucks out of them.

Also of interest the spare wheel is mounted on the running board on the RH or drivers side so there is no RH Door. The driver enters and exits through the Passenger side door.

Thanks for the comments
Cliff
andy007
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,088 posts
Armorama: 1,257 posts
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2005 - 01:08 PM UTC
Its great to see another very interesting build from you. An ambulance in camo would be very cool. Looking forward to seeing it finished
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 6,871 posts
Armorama: 2,071 posts
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2005 - 05:49 PM UTC
I think u have converted more LRDG's than Tamiya ever produced my friend .Pretty interesting work and accurate and neat as always . Waiting for progress !!!!1
 _GOTOTOP