_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
High Gloss on AFV
FLASH
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
KitMaker: 109 posts
Armorama: 51 posts
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2005 - 01:25 PM UTC
Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone out there can help with a Technique problem when spraying AFV with high gloss. Apart from my fear of going anywhere near an AFV with a high gloss (it just don't seem natural)! I have this tendency to end up with too much shine even after a hit of dullcote!
Second, do you guys feel that it is necessary to hit the AFV with high gloss prior to weathering etc etc anyway?
I have noticed that many "how too" articles seem to be 50/50 on this technique or do those that don't include this technique in the text, simply assume that everyone does it or at the least knows it needs to be done!
I paint with enamals and usually weather with acrylics, pastels etc etc.

Cheers
Lee

Slug
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 705 posts
Armorama: 505 posts
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2005 - 02:32 PM UTC
Hi Lee, Of Course everyone has their own tried a true methods to making a model (I personally like the variety) The one thing thats common between all these methods is making the decals look painted on. For me,(unless I used dry transfer) I know of no other way other then to place the decals on a "shinny smooth" surface. To achive this I place a layer (or 2)of future under and over top of my decals, then I take advantage of the smooth coat to do any washes, (the paint flows better on the smooth coat). Finally I dull coat or 2 and dry brush then apply pastels, maybe dull coat again depending on the look I'm going for. These mehtods work with all types of paint except washes with acrylics need to be thinned with something other than water because of surface tension of water (although again this may be a look your going for). One thing for sure change your techniques and you change the look and "feel of your model.

Try anything once
Bruce

MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2005 - 02:46 PM UTC
one of my formulas for mixing pre 1942 Australia Army bronze/green is all gloss enamel paints as they are not availiable in matt. I just use Humbrol matt coat at the end after I have detailed it and never have a problem with it remaining too glossy.

I always gloss coat before adding decals and after decals are on I seal them with another coat of clear gloss before adding washes etc. then Humbrol matt coat at the end.

You will find that you have not put enough dull coat on to remove the shine.
capnjock
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 860 posts
Armorama: 411 posts
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2005 - 04:22 PM UTC
If it was not for using water slide decals, I would not gloss at all. But since I do, after glossing I clear flat coat it with thin coats until all is flat again. Usually 2 or 3 coats is enough. I do all my weathering on the flat coat. When I am finished, I have a very slight satin finish because of the oil paint used.
capnjock
 _GOTOTOP