Hosted by Darren Baker
Review of the new Tamiya T-34 on PMMS
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 2,798 posts
Posted: Monday, June 06, 2005 - 09:44 PM UTC
This one evidently isn't a straight scale-down of the 1970s vintage Model 42. And for a change Tamiya has gone for Zavod 112, instead of the (mostly) Zavod 183 of the 1/35th Mod 42 and 43.

More T-34s please and figures to go with them

http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/48/tamiya/tam32515.htm
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 01:15 AM UTC
It is good to see that it is all new. Frankly, I've been getting sick of listening to people who have no intention of ever buying the Tamiya 1/48 scale keep preaching that all they are is scaled down copies of old Tamiya 1/35 scale kits.

I wonder why Dragon doesn't get bad mouthed for doing 1/72 scale or claims of Trumpeter abandoning 1/35 armor because they started producing aircraft?
Larry_dunn
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 79 posts
Armorama: 79 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 02:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I wonder why Dragon doesn't get bad mouthed for doing 1/72 scale or claims of Trumpeter abandoning 1/35 armor because they started producing aircraft?

Because people are scared. Scared that the scale they have invested so much in will become extinct because 1/48th scale will take over. 72nd is sufficiently different that it's not seen as a threat.

I think that's a very silly thing to be scared about, but people are frequently scared of silly things.

What I find interesting is how often people who constantly scorn Tamiya then react so angrily to the notion that Tamiya is "abandoning" 35th scale. If they have such contempt for Tamiya, why should they care either way.

All the negativity about 48th is just an indication that human pettiness has a way of seeping into every human endeavor, even things we do for fun.
koschrei
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 147 posts
Armorama: 134 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 09:22 AM UTC
The kit looks totally new in the sprue-shots, lets hope it measures out exactly. Unfortunately, it does not seem to include a extra track links to stretch the track if you want more sag, unless you pirate the spares. Several optional parts though, but no figures.

Regardless, it looks like a winner.

Konrad
28juni14
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 65 posts
Armorama: 65 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 11:21 AM UTC
Konrad - You've hit on my primary concern about the kit. I've made mention in the past that the fenders appear to continue too far beyound the idler wheels. on those examples photographed, and the Tamiya site pics. I've not seen a single prototype with the idlers that far to the rear. Spare track link inserts, one upper and one lower per side, may be in order.

Emil
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 07:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I've made mention in the past that the fenders appear to continue too far beyound the idler wheels.

On Tamiya's 1/35th T-34s this was because the curse of motorisation demanded a metal axle for the idlers instead of the correct eccentric arms. This put the idler too far to the rear.

So now the 1/48th T-34 has eccentric idler arms, but seems to have carried on with the idler in the (inaccurate) position close to the front roadwheel.

Frustration..
koschrei
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, June 10, 2005 - 03:45 PM UTC
But you can fix it - just pull a couple of spare links and add them to the runs. Or order a spare sprue from your Tamiya distributor and have a lifetime supply plus about 50 :-)

I have three on order, so I will definitely fool around with that. BTW, some Russian Great Patriotic War sites show these tanks with the idler moved back - love to get a definitive read on the idler position issue from one of our Comrades.

Konrad
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 2,394 posts
Armorama: 1,695 posts
Posted: Friday, June 10, 2005 - 07:02 PM UTC
This looks like a wonderful kit. I have to agree the people getting down on tamiya for doing 1/48th and claiming its just reduced 1/35th kits is getting a bit tiring. Tankysgal has been reviewing every new 1/48th scale kit she can get her hands on by tamiya. I have looked them all over and think they are all very good. Right now she just finished a review on their 1/48th sandbags and brick walls and we sat down and compared them to the 1/35th stuff and they are totally different. I offer up kudos to Tamiya for the welcome change. Cheers Kevin
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 11, 2005 - 01:04 AM UTC
Perhaps the new mandatory first line of any 1/48 scale review should be, "This is not a scaled down representation of their 1/35 scale kit."
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2005 - 10:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Perhaps the new mandatory first line of any 1/48 scale review should be, "This is not a scaled down representation of their 1/35 scale kit."

Mostly, but the Sherman cupola has the location hole for a travel lock for the .50cal (as on the 1/35th one) but there's no travel lock on any of the sprues...

Doesn't bother me that it's a scale-down in this case, it's always nice to have the excuse to buy more Shermans and fiddle with my Fuman M4A3 (76).

ukgeoff
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,007 posts
Armorama: 703 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 03:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Spare track link inserts, one upper and one lower per side, may be in order.

With T34 tracks that is not practical, you'll have to add extra tracks as a pair. The guide horns are on alternate links and the interlock for the joints wont match up. There are several extra links provided, a trial fit to determine if the extras are added to the front or rear of the track runs will be needed. Like the Stug tracks there is a slight amount of sag at one end, I think where it meets the drive sprocket.
28juni14
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 65 posts
Armorama: 65 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 06:31 AM UTC
Ah,,... but you are correct,.. two links per side will be needed! Actually, addressing the idler and swivilling it forward may make additional links neccessary before road wheels at the upper track AND lower track. This may be a nightmare of frustration.
Marlowe
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 289 posts
Armorama: 286 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 02:39 AM UTC
1. Inexpensive Hauler PE(Czech Republic--available through Quarter-kit in Paris) provides the Sherman travel lock.

2. There are figures for the T34. Gaso.Line of France (also available through Quarter-kit or Track48) makes a resin tank crew (2 figs.), 2 tank riders for the engine deck and 2 infantrymen. There are some photos of them with Bandai T34s in the Gallery section of Track48.
koschrei
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 06:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ah,,... but you are correct,.. two links per side will be needed! Actually, addressing the idler and swivilling it forward may make additional links neccessary before road wheels at the upper track AND lower track. This may be a nightmare of frustration.

I remain optomistic - looking at sites with plans (purportedly Russian blueprints) and whatnot on T-34's (I admit I really should peel the shrink wrap of my Tamiya T-34 CD that I got on sale at TamiyaCon and check it too) the kit front idler position seems reasonable, if on the tight side, even as it is. Even with some fidling with the track, I think these kits will be lots of fun to put together and convert! Still waiting for my HLJ box . . .

Konrad
 _GOTOTOP