_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Churchill Mk 1 Infantry Tank
BobCard
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,008 posts
Armorama: 847 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 02:48 AM UTC
Hello all,

I am looking for some help locating information sites concerning the Churchill Mk 1. Any help would be much appreciated. I am attempting to model one of the tanks from the Dieppe raid. I have alot of info about Dieppe, but lack info on the Churchill.

Thanks,
Bob

barv
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,594 posts
Armorama: 973 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 03:56 AM UTC
Bob,
Book you want is "The Funnies"----gives all types used at this time---wih 1/76 scale drawings.......hard to get over here --try a library --if stuck let me know and i'll look it out and e-m what I can for you .....last one I saw for sale was going for £30 ----$50?..so scarce
aye
BARV
PS........just remembered have "CHURCHILL" book---story of.
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 05:45 AM UTC
The best book for Dieppe Churchill info is "Dieppe Through the Lens" an exceptional photo and text exploration of exactly what happened to each and every Churchil that got ashore that day. Great photos taken by the Germans after the battle and while the vehicles were still on the beaches. If it is detail photo info on the basic Churchill Mk I that you are looking form, then there is a Churchill I here in Canada at Camp borden just up the road. I have a bunch of shots and you can contact me off line & I can scan some for you. Other than that Chris Shillito has a good selection of photos on line at Armour in Focus.

HTH

Paul
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
Armorama: 2,844 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 07:35 AM UTC
There is a good article in the December 1998 FSM about backdating the Tammy MK VII kit to a Dieppe MK I. The guy scratchbuilt the turret and made copies out of resin so it is no "shake and bake" conversion job.

Shaun
BobCard
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 09:06 AM UTC
Thanks alot guys, great info. I'll keep an eye out for those books, first stop is the library and/or amazon, I'll let you know. That Armour in Focus is a great site, it looks to have the all the basic photos I'll need. It sure looks like I have to get ahold of "Dieppe Through the Lens" for sure. I didn't have all the info on Dieppe after all.

Thanks again guys for the great reference info,
Bob

DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 09:22 AM UTC
You could also try asking in the forums here:

http://www.mapleleafup.org/vehicles/cac/

ericadeane
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 4,021 posts
Armorama: 3,947 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 11:54 AM UTC
Cromwell Models has announced a whole plethora of new full resin Churchills including some decked out for the Dieppe raid. Might try them if you're into this sort of thing.
GerryChester
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 22 posts
Armorama: 19 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 02:59 PM UTC
Hi Bob,

By happenstance, other to linking to the main Insignia page, work on the Calgary Regiment's Churchills is finished. It is part of an ongoing project to provide data for the designer of Decals for Cromwell Models.

Much of the design work has been completed for the regiment in which I served, the North Irish Horse. The aim is to provide accurate data as to names, WD numbers, et cetera, accompanied by photographs (if available) of the tanks chosen. Also included, a short history of the vehicle taken from the Regiment's War Diaries and Battle Reports.

See: http://www.nih.ww2site.com/nih/Articles/Canada-1stATB.html
Note the top of the AoS is blue not, as shown incorrectly in some works, green.

Regards, Gerry

BobCard
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 03:27 PM UTC
Roy - Gerry, Thanks for the additional info. Those tanks from Cromwell run around $120 each, but man are they nice. Just going to have to save up, some how. That site on the Calgary Regiment's Churchills was great info.

Thanks again guys,
Bob
sapper8863
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 32 posts
Armorama: 32 posts
Posted: Friday, June 10, 2005 - 07:49 PM UTC
Hi Bob

Please contact me directly via Email to [email protected]. I have some additional info I can send you.

Please note that the Funnies book does not include a MKI it deals mainly with the later MKIII and MKIV AVRE and special equipments a great book but with little if any back ground info.

Gerrys site and armour in focus are the best two sites I have found on the Churchill.

Cheers

Ian
Rockfall
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 884 posts
Armorama: 602 posts
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2005 - 03:28 PM UTC
Paul,

Where in Borden is this Churchill? I was on the base taking pics of their collection a couple weeks ago but I never saw it. I know they have moved alot of stuff lately so I must have missed it. Since I live just up the road I would love to see it.

Thanks,

Jeff
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 08:33 AM UTC
Last time I saw it (last summer), it was sitting on the concrete pad that used to be the hanger that surrounded it. I don't know where they might have moved it to, if it was moved. The pad was located closer to the CANEX side of Worthington Park as opposed to being up where the remaining hanger houses some of the CMP trucks.

Paul
Rockfall
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 884 posts
Armorama: 602 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 02:22 PM UTC
Okay thanks Paul.

I know that they have been moving alot of stuff recently around the base which makes it a bit harder to find now.

Most of the vehicles are now off the concrete pad and sitting in a row behing the hanger type buildings I guess waiting to be moved to a new location on base.

Some are already in new locations with new concrete pads and a shiney (literally) new coat of paint.

I heard that the Panther is gone though. Its in Ottawa now I hear. Not sure if its true but it kind of sucks if thats the case.

I would go check it out this weekend but I am getting married so its probably not going to happen.

:-) :-)
 _GOTOTOP