Hosted by Darren Baker
roo's entry to MEDIC Campaign- part two
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 04:08 PM UTC
here is a little bit of progress on the ambulance. The rear body has been done and is about 70% finished. I will not be doing the interior of this one as it is indentical to the CMP Ambulance I have already done.

Base kit is the Tamiya LRDG Chev kit and the first part of the build can be found here.

http://armorama.com/forums/52683&page=1

The body has been built using Evergreen plastic sheet. The roof curves were made using House hold water pipe from the plumbing supply store. This is hard to work and requires CA (super) glue to fix.

As normal any comments or questions are welcome.

this is the start of the cab work.

More pics can be found here - http://photos.kitmaker.net/showgallery.php/cat/14677

Cheers
Cliff
andy007
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,088 posts
Armorama: 1,257 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 04:13 PM UTC
looking good Cliif,
It surprises me how clean your builds always look. minimal glue smudges (unlike me ) Looking forward to seeing the cab done.
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 05:02 PM UTC
Looking good so far......
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 6,871 posts
Armorama: 2,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 05:37 PM UTC
Man your convertions are so neat and clean that look really like the parts are from the kit. Another greatie coming out of the new room !!!!!!

Waiting for more
tom
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 681 posts
Armorama: 452 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 09, 2005 - 05:46 PM UTC
Looks pretty outstanding, I can not wait to see the finished work you always produce some awsome work.

Happy Modeling
(++) 1:35
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Friday, June 10, 2005 - 09:46 AM UTC
Thanks for the comments Guys. At this time I have the cab finished apart from the spare wheel mount and only the rear awning and drivesharft left to do before covering the rear body with cloth to simulate canvas as these bodies were canvas over a wooden frame and the doped and painted like WW1 aircraft.

Cheers
Cliff
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Armorama: 791 posts
Posted: Friday, June 10, 2005 - 11:02 AM UTC
Roo, I love how you convert those LRDGs into hardtops. That windscreen is a fine piece of work (as is the rest, of course).
I'm not going to say "keep up the good work" because I don't think you could do otherwise.

Cuhail
jRatz
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,171 posts
Armorama: 541 posts
Posted: Friday, June 10, 2005 - 01:24 PM UTC
'Roo:

You say you what "carved" the windscreen from water pipe? You mean the PVC stuff -- I thought CA wouldn't work on that, or do you have diff stuff down under.

Anyway, (A) why did you choose to go that route over say building up from evergreen (or similar) and carving and (B) could you go into the details of the process a bit more ? I mean you've got some compound curves there & I'm just not seeing how you did it ....(as usual) ...

Thx,
John
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Friday, June 10, 2005 - 03:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

'Roo:

You say you what "carved" the windscreen from water pipe? You mean the PVC stuff -- I thought CA wouldn't work on that, or do you have diff stuff down under.

Anyway, (A) why did you choose to go that route over say building up from evergreen (or similar) and carving and (B) could you go into the details of the process a bit more ? I mean you've got some compound curves there & I'm just not seeing how you did it ....(as usual) ...

Thx,
John

John it was not the windscreen I made from water pipe but the curves in the roof of the rear ambulance body. The water pipe was 25mm dia PVC hot/cold water pipe.

This was cut using a hacksaw and then scribed down it's length with a scoring blade. It was cut into quarters. This proved to be the correct curve for the ambulance roof. It is hard to work but you can do it with a grinding bit in a dremel or similar or with a file and course sandpaper. I knew model glue would not work and tryed Zap CA and it worked. Once painted you would never know the difference.

The cowl/windscreen unit is originally an Italeri GMC part which I widened to suit the Tamiya LRDG Chev kit and then copied by making a mould and doing them in resin. I use these for a variety of vehicles by just adding filler to alter the shape a bit to suit. The Aussie Ford semi I made had one of these in it as well.

Cheers
Cliff
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 2,394 posts
Armorama: 1,695 posts
Posted: Friday, June 10, 2005 - 07:06 PM UTC
Cliff, you have another very interesting build here. I have to say you are an incredible scratch builder and always look forward to your trucks. Looking forward to seeing those canvas progress shots. Kevin
jRatz
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,171 posts
Armorama: 541 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 11, 2005 - 01:45 PM UTC
'Roo:
Thanks for the info.
I obviously misread your original post & thought the windscreen was the "roof top" you refered to ...
Sorry for confusion.
John
sas
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 256 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 11, 2005 - 05:15 PM UTC
Lovely stuff Cliff,thanks for posting those clairifying pics,you make it look so easy,say if you want to go ahead and publish a book or CD on scratching softskins be my guest,I`ll be first in line to pick up a copy!
tankysgal1
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 1,430 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 11, 2005 - 06:10 PM UTC
Cliff, What can i say that has not already been said. The build so far looks great and i am in awe of your scratch skills. I look forward to seeing more of this one.
Mary (++)
Parks20
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 737 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 12:26 AM UTC
I envy your scratch building skills. This looks great so far. I look forward to the finished project.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
Armorama: 7,444 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 12:47 AM UTC
Looking great Roo, as usual. Its really coming into shape now. Im always amazed how you manage to use items like water pipe to get the right corner. A good tip for finishing up areas like this is Mr. Surfacer. Just paint it on and lightly sand again. Ive been using it a lot recently and have had great results. Great base for painting as well, when all these different materials have the same base to spray on. Keep us updated!
 _GOTOTOP