_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Help with painting a plastic tank kit
clogger12
Visit this Community
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 1 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 02:54 PM UTC
I'm having trouble trying to decide what to assemble/glue first and paint first? This is with regards the wheels and tracks. I'm making a Tiger 1/48 Tamiya model. Should I paint all the wheels first prior to glueing on to the axels? Or would you advise gluing in all the wheels, then paint those parts visible? I imagine this would create problems painting the rubber rims on the wheels however. I'm using the kits tracks which are assembled in parts. Some of the parts are glued onto the wheels. Do I paint the tracks first prior to gluing onto the wheels?
Is there anywhere someone has published a step by step guide on the assembly of this model. Sorry if I sound like a complete newbie.
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 03:06 PM UTC
Everyone has a different technique. I personally study the instructions and prepaint the wheels and other stuff that will be difficult to reach with a brush after it's built.

Some people with good airbrush skills build the whole thing and paint them after.

I say it's up to you how you want to build. There really is no wrong way if you end up with something you like.
rbeebe99
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 540 posts
Armorama: 388 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 03:06 PM UTC
Hi Colin,
Welcome to Armorama, don't worry about sounding like a newbie. Your question is more about preference than technique. Some people prefer to assemble everything and then paint and others paint in sub assemblies. I am of the latter group, I paint everything as a seperate component, wheels, tracks, tools and everything else that is "added" on. For me I just find this easier and safer, I mean safer in that if I have glued everything already and I paint it and somehow screw it up the whole model will more than likely have to be stripped, on the other hand if I screw up the road wheel, only the road wheel needs to be repainted.
I know some guys who paint after everything is glued together and they do a great job, I guess I just don't have the nerve to try it.
Why not try and paint in sub assemblies and as you grow more confident you can glue more and more onto the model before painting. I would suggest that after everthing is painted glue it onto the vehicle and then start your weathering process, that way everything will be weathered the same and nothing will look out of place. Hope this helps.
regards,
Robert
Slug
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 705 posts
Armorama: 505 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 03:10 PM UTC
Hi Colin , first off welcome to Armorama. It's a great place for us
newbies or born again modelers.
Typically speaking I assemble as much as I can before painting. Comon sence has to prevail here when following the directions as with some pieces it make sence to assemble after painting is complete. Or some time I complete a portion then paint it ,add it to the model, then "mask " it for the final paint, (interiors are a good example of this method. When possible I paint my tracks seperate then add them to the model, this isn;t always possible. I don't think there is a set way to assemble models and you should do what ever way you find works.
Good luck
Bruce
umustb
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
KitMaker: 1,396 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 07:45 PM UTC
Hi colin, welcome to the forum.

I would have to agree with what all these guys said. It's up to one self whether he wants to paint first or fix up the kit first.

For me.. i would paint those parts before gluing them together
 _GOTOTOP