_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Salt Weathering Paint Attack
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Armorama: 2,447 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 11:37 AM UTC
NOTE: I fixed it! See: I FIXED IT

Also My experiment with 2 Salt V 3 Paints & 3 Glosses 2 Salt V 3 Paints & 3 Glosses

Those of you who are familiar with making paint chips via putting salt on a model, over spraying it, then removing salt, I tried this.

The salt messed up the surrounding paint. It was OK so I over coated with Future. Something has further attacked the Future.

Any idea what happened, and how to prevent it?

Yes, the paint had cured 24+ hours. The only fresh paint was on the tail.

An enamel automotive silver is the primer, dried 24+ hours before the Polly Scale OD went on. The OD dried about 2 days before the Future.

The OD had the 'rash' around most of the salt grains before the Future went on. I didn't see the rash after the first Future coat. The second did not cloud for at least 2 hours.

I rubbed off the salt and washed off the areas with distilled water.

I am contemplating

1. over spraying the Future with an enamel, any idea how this will work?

2. removing the Future and coating with something else,

3. stripping Future and OD. What strips Polly Scale?

One thing, the salt I used is Morton Light salt. Perhaps not using straight table salt vexed me?
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 12:37 PM UTC
Polly Scale makes a paint remover/decal remover called Easy Lift Off.......
ACHTUNG
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 266 posts
Armorama: 187 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 14, 2005 - 01:14 PM UTC
ooo, thks for the post Fred
i never try the salt technique.
anyone can tell me how to prevent this ? or any tips to hold stick the salt when u spray onto the models ?
thks
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
KitMaker: 2,247 posts
Armorama: 1,138 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2005 - 01:22 AM UTC
I must be going crazy or something, but I remember answering this question last night on the same thread....unless this is a different one with the same pics.

The problem with the salt weathering is that when you use an arcylic paint, or gloss coat, it will generally dissolve the salt....as usually the carrier for the paint will have some water in it. I have tried both Tamiya and MM acrylics with the same result, but I don't think its the paint's fault....but the carrier used to thing the paint to airbrush it with.

I ran into this same problem with my BM21 GRAD. When I switched to MM Enamel paint (and I am sure any enamel paint would work) I didn't have the problem at all...and it ended up turning out great as you can see in my gallery.

The problem is, that the carrier in the acrylic paint dissolves the salt a little and what you are left with are left with once dry are those pools of dried salt.

Switch to enamel for you salt weathering, and you should be golden!!
JPTRR
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 06:36 AM UTC
NOTE: I fixed it! See: I FIXED IT
JPTRR
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 01, 2014 - 05:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The problem with the salt weathering is that when you use an arcylic paint, or gloss coat, it will generally dissolve the salt.......the carrier in the acrylic paint dissolves the salt a little and what you are left with are left with once dry are those pools of dried salt.

Switch to enamel for you salt weathering, and you should be golden!!

Hi Scott,

Very belated thanks for the input.

Wow, almost 7 years since I posted this. I guess I never followed up that I have used salt weathering exclusively with acrylics and never had the interaction with the paint. This situation was because there were minute amounts of salt left before I used the Future. Since then, I have thoroughly washed away all salt and never had another problem with salt and acrylic. Here are two examples, one from several years ago, and one from a few months ago. For me, acrylic paint and salt weathering have worked excellent together.

Salt Weathering

Salt Weathering with Lifecolor acrylics

Finnish Buffalo
 _GOTOTOP