Hosted by Darren Baker
T-34
Marlowe
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 289 posts
Armorama: 286 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 05:26 AM UTC
Is anybody working on the new T-34? I am not a Russian armour modeller but the kit looks impressive with its finely-detailed pieces. I like especially the flexible cord supplied to be glued to the towing eyes, making a tow cable which can be realistically positioned. However, I just saw the Hauler (from the Czech Republic) photo-etch set for this kit and I am tempted to build a T34 just so that I can use the PE. They even make track grousers. The SkyBow Tigers are now available and the comments from modellers in Taiwan are very positive. No bashing of the kits from 1/35 scalers, just a desire to build these delights. With the Citroen and Bren gun carrier are on the way it is a great time to be a 1/48 scale modeller. What say you?
Glenn
28juni14
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 65 posts
Armorama: 65 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 25, 2005 - 11:03 AM UTC
I'm in agreement, Glen. It is indeed an ideal time for quarterscale modelers! I'm especially anxious to get the Universal Carrier. Perhaps Tamiya(or SkyBow) will follow with a Crusader, or perhaps an Italian vehicle or two.
I might ad that it appears this forum has fallen into decline.... , not a solitary comment in 3-4 days. Either our numbers are extremely limited, or a good lot of quarterscalers lack PCs.
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
Armorama: 2,798 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2005 - 07:26 PM UTC
Finally got my hands on the T-34 at the weekend. I noticed it includes a bow MG without armoured cover (B16 - not used) which suggests Tamiya may be thinking of earlier T-34s (please!)
Marlowe
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, June 27, 2005 - 03:31 AM UTC
In response to the posting about the armoured cover of the machine gun, I don't know much about the T34 but other reviews I've read about Tamiya's kit say that what seem to be mistakes are consistent with the T34 production at Factory 112 in the summer to autumn of 1942. Track48 makes some turret variants for this hull so that a wide range of vehicles can be made. If anyone is making this kit with the PE please post pictures of it.
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, June 27, 2005 - 03:49 AM UTC
Mistakes? the only problem I've seen discussed is with the position of the idler wheel - are there supposed to be others?

BTW the only T-34 etch I could find on Haulers site is for the 1/72nd HAT model.

Marlowe
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, June 27, 2005 - 05:48 AM UTC
No-the point is that some thought there were mistakes but the kit is consistent with production at that factory during 1942. The Hauler PE is not yet listed on their site but can be seen at Track48 under What's new.
Drader
Visit this Community
Wales, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, June 27, 2005 - 07:40 PM UTC
And now for the markings. While avoiding watching the TV last night I looked through a few books on the T-34 and found three of the four marking options in the kit.

A) 41over 05, this is in Squadron's 'T-34 in Action' page 19 and is indeed a Zavod 112 with fuel cells. Can't see the front to see if it uses the armoured cover on the hull MG

B) 106 - couldn't find it

C) 64 - same book as A, same page Can't see the rear to see if it has fuel cells and the front is a bit blurred, but it looks like it has the armoured cover.

D) For Soviet Estonia - in 'Eastern Front: Armour camouflage and markings' page 49. Doesn't seem to have fuel cells and definitely doesn't have an armoured cover on the hull MG - you will need that piece after all One small detail difference the plate on the side of the recuperator cover is smaller than the one given in the kit, and you'll also need to cut a small notch in the left side of the recuperator cover, but this is missing on all Tamiya T-34s with 76mm guns.
Marlowe
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, July 01, 2005 - 08:42 AM UTC
On the subject of the T-34, there are a few pictures of one constructed OOB (but with engine vent screen replacing the plasitc one of the kit) over at Track48. I like how the modeller added rust streaks under the grab handles.
28juni14
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 65 posts
Armorama: 65 posts
Posted: Friday, July 01, 2005 - 02:53 PM UTC
The builder also did a Tamiya Tiger; seen on the same site. both these tanks go far to illustrate just how good these models are, in as much as they were built out of the box...., no aftermarket goodies at all. Consider just how superb today's state of the art is in the model industry.
 _GOTOTOP