_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
British Desert Camo - how?
cbuk
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 67 posts
Armorama: 56 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2005 - 06:42 PM UTC
Hi All,

I am having trouble which I need some help on regarding British Desert Camo (WWII).
I am in the process of painting Tamiya's Grant tank and have tried, with a high level of failure! , to apply the dark yellow, red-brown, rb + dy mix as suggested in the painting guide.

Does anyone have any suggestions on the best way to get a hard edged pattern? I have tried cutting card templates, and the blu-tak method, but all looks awful, so I have now over-sprayed everything to dark yellow to start again.

Any advice will be appreciated.

CB
barv
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,594 posts
Armorama: 973 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2005 - 07:04 PM UTC

Chris ....I used masking fluid or masking tape for"fixing "the pattern on/over the colour to be seen----or----cooking foil rubbed down onto model and trimmed to suit--little bit of "bluie" in middle keeps it in place
aye
BARV
cbuk
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2005 - 07:16 PM UTC
Thanks for that Steve - I never thought of using foil, but it sounds like a method that even I could do!
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Armorama: 1,245 posts
Posted: Monday, June 27, 2005 - 05:32 AM UTC
I'm going to be trying this later this week with a Priest for British use. I plan to try using "silly putty." I have no idea what they might call that over in the UK. It's a kind of putty used by kids. It's re-usable, stretches, and doesn't dry out to easily. I plan on painting the two secondary colors, putting this stuff on it, then painting the main color. On the Priest, at least according to the directions, it's a soft edge but I suppose you could use a straight edge to cut silly putty to be a hard edge.

DaveCox
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Monday, June 27, 2005 - 05:54 AM UTC
Could try using a paint brush? Great for hard-edged patterns and doesn't need to be stripped down for cleaning afterwards.
Slug
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 705 posts
Armorama: 505 posts
Posted: Monday, June 27, 2005 - 06:22 AM UTC
I used masking tape on my Matilda, helps with the all important straight lines. I applied a coat of Future after each colour, to keep every thing on the same "level ".

Bruce
Slug
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 705 posts
Armorama: 505 posts
Posted: Monday, June 27, 2005 - 06:31 AM UTC
Heres a couple of sites for colour reference:

British Colours

The Bellman
cbuk
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 27, 2005 - 08:27 AM UTC
I have used a combination of masking tape, foil and a "squiggly pattern" cardboard template. Has not turned out too bad, just needs some neatening up.

Thanks for the advice, once I have added a third colour I will no doubt ask for more advice (I am determned to have at least one decent looking tank!).

Thanks again,
CB

ps. After seeing that Matilda I am in awe, but will keep trying.
 _GOTOTOP