Hosted by Darren Baker
Help!!
Reece
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 23 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 07:13 AM UTC
I've looked but still can't figure out what static grass is. I know I should know this but
Thanks
Reece
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 07:19 AM UTC
Static grass is a grass product used to replicate - hmmm grass.
Woodland Scenic (Rail Road asseciory manufacture) makes various colors of it.
It is small short flecs of material that you install to look like blades of grass.
One way of applying it is
1. put down a layer of 50/50 water/whiteglue mix where you want grass.
2. Lump on a pile of static grass.
3. let set a couple of minutes
4. pour off excess
5. Use a stiff brush or blow across the grass to make stand up in still moist glue.

There are other ways and some involve using static electricity to make the grass stand up. In my attempts to actually employ static - I failed and use basically the above method.
Davester444
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 850 posts
Armorama: 548 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 07:20 AM UTC
Basically very short pieces of nylon fibre in a variety of colours. You scatter it over groundwork to create a nice grass effect.
Burik
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
Armorama: 1,303 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 07:42 AM UTC
To get the most realistic effect you should paint it after applying it per above. As it comes, it is too shiny to be realistic. I usually use the brown versions and after it is dried in place, I paint it some sort of green, matte color. Then I drybrush some yellow over that. Most of the time we are depicting wild grass or non-manicured grass, so it should not be lush green like our lawns (well, most of ours anyway :-) ).

Bob
Reece
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 23 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 08:33 AM UTC
Thanks i'm still kind of new to modeling
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 04:11 PM UTC
A cheap and easy way to produce static electricity is to drag a comb through your hair several times (assuming you are not bald!). The comb becomes charged with static electricity, then just hold it very close to the freshly laid grass. The grass should stand. It will take a lot of combing to complete a diarama, but it is good personal grooming and healthy for your hair and scalp :-) .
BigJon
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 757 posts
Armorama: 609 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 08:26 PM UTC
biggles obviously has lovely, conditioned locks by the end of all of his dioramas!! :-)
Pilgrim
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 516 posts
Armorama: 417 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 09:02 PM UTC
Another way to use it is to dry brush thick PVA onto a well-textured base, then you get small amount of grass to simulate a grass patch that has been worn muddy by many feet, like here:

I was very apprhensive before I used static grass for the first time, but delighted with the ease of use and the results the first time I used it.

Go for it! :-)
fanai
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 2,654 posts
Armorama: 208 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2005 - 09:39 PM UTC
don't be afraid to mix several colours and lengths- have 5 diferent types in an icecream bucket that i just lump on and I ofyer sprinkle -DIRT - yes sifted speapings of my concreate floor of my car garage gives me a light colour of soil through the gras- just the way I do it not the best but just a way
Ian
 _GOTOTOP