Hosted by Darren Baker
Model Problems or Distasters
Sandy
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 628 posts
Armorama: 405 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 05:35 AM UTC
Hi All , I was wondering if you have had any recent problems or disasters with your models . I was asked to build a Zis Truck in 1/72 scale from ICM , no problem !
How wrong could I be . The kit went together ok but I lost a complete wheel to carpet . The body windows fitted were they touched or did not in some cases > windscreen fell out and stuck to the cab roof . Paint dried blotchy and uneven in places . I had over spray on the cammo and the primer lifted . It is now to be taken to Beltrin War and Peace show for some kid to trash or to be used as spares .
I will buy a replacement and build it at the show . We all make mistakes So what are your worst ones cheers ian
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
Armorama: 2,844 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 05:43 AM UTC
Not counting the time I super glued the German helmet to my tongue? (Don't ask)

I had a rather large diorama base almost finished and masked the wood and ground work to spray the edges of the pink foam insulation board I used under the groundwork flat black. Picked up the rattle can of what I thought was acrylic spray paint. It was laquer and in seconds all the pink foam board melted. Trashed.

And that was just a couple of weeks ago.

Then there was the time the regulator on the CO2 cylinder I was using exploded...

I've had my share, and three other peoples' shares.

Shaun
ex-royal
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,009 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 05:44 AM UTC
OMG Shaun I jsut spit my coffee all over the place..I was not expecting that...LOL Too much dude..I gotta hear this one. LOL
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 05:54 AM UTC
Worse modeling problem? Buying the Trumpeter M60A3 kit. POS that it was, I decided to build it any way (for use as an airbrush test kit). I had the kit about 75% completed when I had to move. I placed several in progress kits into a carefully packed box. I left plenty of room and was planning on carrying the box with me when I moved. I marked the box "DO NOT PACK" and "FRAGILE" on all sides.

I also packed up all of my paints and spray cans into a separate box. The moving company would not transport flammables, so I clearly labeled that box "FLAMMABLE" and "DO NOT PACK" as well.

The movers took the heavy box of paint and set it inside the box of in progress models. They had to push down to get the box of paint inside box of kits. Then they packed it into the truck. Crushed everything.
Max_Fischer
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 639 posts
Armorama: 258 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 06:01 AM UTC
When i Glued my fingers with Industrial Grade Super Glue,
Took me 2 week to get off,

Then i got a German Gask Mask Container stuck in my hair :-)
Diablo
Visit this Community
Gelderland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,699 posts
Armorama: 433 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 06:05 AM UTC
please tell us more about the helmet,i was having coffee to when i red it, now its running from my nose :-) .shaun sitting in waitingroom in the ER ,doc calls him in and says can i help you,
shaun opens his mouth and well.......................this man has a good story for his next party when they ask ......how was work... :-) #:-) ..as for myself,i have socks with various parts glued on them,and i was pooring some stuff for a dio with a ditch in it,but there was a leak in the bottom on one side.which i saw the other day,i needed a crowbar to get the dio off my workbench,did throw that one away.
armormike
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 106 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 06:07 AM UTC
I had a Trumpeter Hip helicopter completely built and after several attempts at getting the camo right I was working on painting rotor blades. The blades cracked and broke of. I then superglued them back on. Somehow the CA accel reacted with the plastic and the whole top of the copter starting cracking. Kit was a complete loss.
sonnyboy
Visit this Community
Denmark
KitMaker: 473 posts
Armorama: 252 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 06:12 AM UTC
my puppy eat my one of my exspensive figures and it was painted! so that was a model disaster still dont got a glue how he got it though! But not as hilarius as yours!
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 06:46 AM UTC
I wasn't paying attention and glued the rear deck on my Sherman backwards with the vents at the tail instead of behind the turret. For some reason I used superglue too!!
rfeehan
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 727 posts
Armorama: 648 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 07:11 AM UTC
Most recently... Assembled one entire run of Fruili tracks wrong... had to take them apart and start over (see my post on removing super glue ... lol). Same kit I assembled the gun mantlet totally reversed... That ones in the spares box I decided to take the tracks and start over.

Couple of months ago I was building a Leopard C2 for the OP Canuck Steel Build... I had it 90% done and dropped the turret. Still have to repair that mess.

Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 07:15 AM UTC
I can honestly say I have never made a mistake....... :-) :-) :-) :-) I'm perfect, every paint job turns out perfectly, evey part fits perfectly, every decal goes on perfectly.... heck, I'm so perfect, it's perfectly discusting.... :-) :-) :-)
Of course I'm joking..... I could write a book or at least a long winded article on some of my finest screw ups....... and can honestly say a lot of items meet the dustbin, and not the display case.
BUT I have never glued a helmet to my tongue!!!!

Had to edit this, but not change it..... I'm so perfect, I can't even spell EVERY!!!!!!
95bravo
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,242 posts
Armorama: 504 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 07:25 AM UTC

Quoted Text

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)
Ok, I won't....

I think the worst was after spraying chrome silver onto a 1/144th Atlas rocket, I thought that it was dry. Using a pair of cotton gloves I picked it up and as I was turning it, I noticed I was leaving deep finger prints (even through the gloves) in the finish. The outer shell had dried but not underneath. Tossed it into the stripping tank and started all over.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 07:46 AM UTC
From the real men don't need instructions file:

Several years ago, I built three 1/35 M60 variants, one Marine and two Israeli, placing the drive sprockets in front. I think I realilzed what happened when I noticed one of the several 1/72 kits I'd done previously had drive sprockets at the rear.

Correcting this was a lot more work than doing it right the first time. :-)
JimF
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 717 posts
Armorama: 621 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 07:55 AM UTC
Other than knocking over nearly full bottles of Tenax and Pro Weld, everything has gone relatively well except for the brass ammo I was going to install in the AFV Club M-10 I am building for the TD group build... I had carefully pulled everything I wanted to go into the build, kit, brass ammo set, AFV tracks, etc. into one place to get organized. When it came time to install the rounds in the turret, I couldn't find the set. Looked high and low, over and around, nothing. Got tired of looking, dug some 88 rounds for the spares box, painted them, and shoehorned them into the ready racks. Started another project, and lo and behold, the shells were sitting in the drawer with the PE sets I have accumulated...I have no idea why I put them there, and I found an M-10 PE set I had forgotten I had....maybe some day I'll build another M-10
barv
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,594 posts
Armorama: 973 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 07:59 AM UTC

Dropping my M1070 and trailer off bench the night before I left for SMW last November
Up untill 3 o'clock putting it back together
aye
BARV
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
Armorama: 1,370 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 08:02 AM UTC
Yeah I have a nasty habbit of decaling up side down. Almost half of my aircraft, the star and bars went on wrong My last build, the CH-46 went on up side down. Thanks to the eyes here I was able to fix it before dull coating it.

Quoted Text

Not counting the time I super glued the German helmet to my tongue

Shaun you a smoker :-) :-) :-) I can see that happing. Here's another funny. I drink bottled water, one night while painting I reach for my water only to pick up the rubbing alcohol bottle. Nasty never drank it, only got as far to my lips...
05Sultan
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 2,870 posts
Armorama: 1,458 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 09:23 AM UTC
Was 75% done scratchbuilding leFH18 field gun and had it propped on a roll of masking tape.SWMBO waltz's in and returns 5 cell Mag Light to shelf above my bench.Almost....Never saw it as I wasn't looking or paying attention.Cannon disintegrated before my eyes.
3 days to find one roadwheel but I did rebuild it.SWMBO said "wasn't me!"
Had 2 other dios destroyed by postal trunk monkeys.One is in ziplock bag stapled to wall above bench as reminder.
No,I have never glued anything to my body! :-) :-) :-)
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,659 posts
Armorama: 1,512 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 09:37 AM UTC
my worst adventure is the time the wife wanted a puller on one of the chairs cut so I walked over with my hobby knife..brand new very sharp... cut it was walking back and for some reason I dropped it.

It landed point first on top of my bare foot and just stuck there took a few seconds to start hurting so I was looking down going.. uh oh... and the wife looked over and almost had a cow..................

RedLeg
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 746 posts
Armorama: 389 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 09:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

:-) :-) :-) :-)
Ok I am sitting here reading through the posts with a nice Pizza and I read that and nearly chocked on a mushroom, now I think you should share after all you nearly killed me lol. :-)

redleg
DumbAlien
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 6 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 10:39 AM UTC
Well, my worst model problem was, when i glued my bf 109's wings backwards! It was like the first kit of alltime for me, so i was quite young that time. And I can't take the wings out whitout breaking the plane.
KitMaker: 4,303 posts
Armorama: 1,051 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2005 - 11:34 PM UTC
Well, I see every disaster as a lesson, and I became a very wise man that way :-) :-)
I'm the kind of guy who almost weekly cut myself with the hobbyknife (due to clumsynes, not because I have a psychological disorder!). My fingerprint is nothing more than scarflines.
I also have the black belt knocking over glue or paint bottles...

Modelling is fun!
Neo
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 916 posts
Armorama: 758 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 12:11 AM UTC
I should have chosen Mr. Clumsy as my login name because...

I have managed to drop every model I'm building (at least once) and break somthing off.

And really - I mean every single one I've ever built.

N E O
A coordination challenged modeler
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 10,889 posts
Armorama: 3,245 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 12:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Then i got a German Gask Mask Container stuck in my hair

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

OMG.... you guys have just brought me to tears with laughter... hehehehehehhe had to leave the office and take a breather.... hehehehehehe :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

No real biggies from me... the usual problems with paint pooling in the wrong places... not using a face mask and having paint droplets up my nose after airbrushing (yet another reason why I don't spray too often :-) ), wearing rubber gloves to not get my hands dirty but then having a scratch (in various places) while still wearing the gloves... the usual stuff...

Rudi :-)
barv
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,594 posts
Armorama: 973 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 04:34 AM UTC

I'm waiting for you to put the 6 pounder shield on backwards :-) :-) :-) :-)
aye
BARV
rommel21cw
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 84 posts
Armorama: 49 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 14, 2005 - 04:53 AM UTC
One of my favorites would have to be when i made the mistake of working on a model on a brand new desk in my office at home and knocked over a bottle of CA on it destroying the finish. But the important part is that I was able to get all of the parts of the model off of the desk before any major damage occurred to them. Most other things are just stupid mistakes such as my most recent of not looking which way the X-acto blade was facing when I pushed down on it.
 _GOTOTOP