Hosted by Darren Baker
truck tyre help needed
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 20, 2005 - 08:55 PM UTC
Hi Folk. I am starting a new 1/35 scale scratchbuilt project and as I do not have a lathe to make my own (or any other power tools) I need measurements off a few truck rim and tyre sizes on different kits out there.

Now the rim pattern (interior) does not matter nor does the tyre tread pattern as those (for me) are easy to change. What is hard is getting a perfectly round object the right (or close enough) size to suit.

I am thinking that the best possibility is the Italeri 'Bigfoot' or Hemmtt kits. These modern type trucks have the wider, fatter type tyre I am after but then again with the mixture of modlers on this site I will look at all offers of help.

Rim/Tyre size one

Over all total diameter = 35mm (this is the outside measurement)
Rim diameter = 14.5mm
Tyre width (thickness) = 11mm

Rim/Tyre size two

Over all total diameter = 35mm (this is the outside measurement)
Rim diameter = 17.5mm
Tyre width (thickness) = 11mm

tyre one is for the rear and tyre two for the front. For those that are interested the real tyre sizes are as follows

Rear = 1400 X 20
Front = 1100 X 24

remember tread pattern and wheel centre pattern do not matter as I will make my own and require the genral correct size to use as the basis of my wheels

serves me right for choosing a 1944 Mack NR 6 X 4 10 ton truck to build with two different size wheels on :-) .

Knowing all you guys will help with suggests etc I wish to thank you all in advance.

cheers
Cliff

PS> Of course when a choise is made I will want to beg, steal borrow or buy two or three of each, preferably the original plastic ones as these are easier to rework then resin copies.

EDIT.....below is two pics, one of the truck and also one of the truck and trailer combo I will be making. Both will be totally scratch built.

I expect to take about 12 months to finish this unit off inbetween other builds.
dukw
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 263 posts
Armorama: 228 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 02:54 AM UTC
hi Cliff,
I can give you the tires from Italeri's M923 A1 big foot
Harald
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 04:44 AM UTC
Hi Cliff, the largest I have is a 1/35 Bedford QL, and only one of them! The only other spares are CMP and I guess you have plenty of those already!
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 05:12 AM UTC
Cliff,

See my PM I also came across some HEMTT & LAV tires in my spares box .

Matt
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 05:55 AM UTC
Wish I could help ya Cliff, but No Got.....
tankmodeler
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,123 posts
Armorama: 2,539 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 06:01 AM UTC
Cliff,

I have a lathe (and a mill, too) so if you want exactly the right size, let me know by email to my home and I can turn you something to go with the Grant parts.

Paul
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2005 - 10:34 AM UTC
Harald thanks for the offer but at the moment I have to decline but if I do end up needing them I will PM you.

Dave thanks all the same mate but I have a lot of spare CMP tyres myself (Do you need any more? :-) )

Grumpy thanks for trying

Matt & Paul. Please see my PM's to you both.

Thanks for all your offers I really do appreciate it and in my mind it is this willingness to help other modelers around the world that make this site and it's members unique.

Cheers
Cliff
Removed by original poster on 11/06/06 - 06:49:50 (GMT).
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 04:43 PM UTC
The T17E1 and T17E2 armored car also used 14.00 x 20s, doesn't someone make a resin kit of that?

I think the M1 155mm howitzer used 14.00 x 24s. These could be turned down, maybe.

I think the hard pard will be finding the spoke wheels - probably have to make them.

KL
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Sunday, July 31, 2005 - 05:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Mine are intended for a Mack LMSW-53, so only include the 14.00-20, BUT, being a nice guy I can easily make the 11.00-24
as well (already have a 24 rim done).
Let me know if this suits your requirements.

Casper
Quoted Text

The best things in Life are self-made

Casper I have Pm'ed you about the tyres. Welcome to Armorama and thanks for you help.

cheers
Cliff
 _GOTOTOP