_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Vietnam
For Vietnam diorama subjects or techniques.
Hosted by Darren Baker
toiletpaper in Vietnam?
Mark
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 554 posts
Armorama: 461 posts
Posted: Friday, August 05, 2005 - 08:09 PM UTC
Hi all
I'm working on a little Vietnam-vignette and I was wondering if the Americans had the luxury of toiletpaper in their outhouses (or did they use something different?). My vignette will depict a small outhouse at a fire support base and I wonder if it is right to add some toiletpaper.

Thanks in advance for any help

Mark
riverhorse
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 24 posts
Armorama: 23 posts
Posted: Friday, August 05, 2005 - 08:30 PM UTC
i think they had paper
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 2,832 posts
Armorama: 1,500 posts
Posted: Friday, August 05, 2005 - 09:03 PM UTC
Nah they used localy pinapples..... :-)
Yeah mate, i know the Aussies and New Zealanders had toilet paper, so i'm pretty sure our Yankee brothers wouldve as well.
Cheers
russ
Visit this Community
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 432 posts
Armorama: 359 posts
Posted: Friday, August 05, 2005 - 09:34 PM UTC
Mark, they had "Coke Cola" everywhere so I don't think you would be wrong putting toilet paper in your dio.

KitMaker: 4,303 posts
Armorama: 1,051 posts
Posted: Friday, August 05, 2005 - 10:04 PM UTC
I was not there, but I would say during the late sixties toiletpaper was a standard issue in military.
Also I recall toiletpaper in that scene from 'Casualties of War' where they tried to blow up Michael J. Fox in a Nam US Base toiletbuilding...

Paul
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Friday, August 05, 2005 - 10:07 PM UTC
Yes, except for Animal, he used sandpaper..... :-) :-) :-)
SSG_Q
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 115 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 06, 2005 - 12:44 AM UTC
I can say, with all certainty, there was TP. I've actually stumbled across photos and actual dated cartons from the era. These were hot commodities, so there was usually things designed to protect them from the environment like large food cans to protect them from moisture and insects. Either FM 21-10 or FM 21-20 is the Army field sanitation manual. Find an older one and you'll get some clever field latrine ideas.
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 06, 2005 - 01:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yes, except for Animal, he used sandpaper..... :-) :-) :-)

Very funny old man. Of course we had toilet paper in Nam. We just were not allowed to ues it WE some times had more paper than bulletts.
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,416 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 06, 2005 - 04:02 AM UTC
The 'basic issue' TP was included in the c-rats packet along with the 4-pack cigs, matches etc.
Neill
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,255 posts
Armorama: 485 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 06, 2005 - 06:30 AM UTC
YES.... though we imported corncobs for those who wanted to rough it.

Neill

and I pretty sure it was at least 60 grit...
17thEngineer
Visit this Community
Antwerpen, Belgium
KitMaker: 33 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 06, 2005 - 11:17 AM UTC
well they issued Toilet paper during WWII to US soldiers so probably in Vietnam it didn't change
Bogz_66
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 4 posts
Armorama: 3 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 17, 2012 - 07:23 PM UTC
.....the Americans even had toilet paper in their C-Rations, inside the brown packet that came with the meal.....so did the Aussies in our rat packs. The US C-Rations were per meal, whereas the Aussie rat packs were designed to be consumed in a day, or three days if absolutely necessary.
Bogz_66
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 4 posts
Armorama: 3 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 17, 2012 - 07:24 PM UTC
.....imagine how quickly you could run out of toilet paper in the field when the diarrhoea hit!.....
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
KitMaker: 3,845 posts
Armorama: 3,543 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 17, 2012 - 09:57 PM UTC
?!!!....yes, they had

Reference pics are always important!

(ps...they had also Wc seats...

BigDaddybluesman
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 119 posts
Armorama: 81 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2012 - 04:17 AM UTC
We had paper in our C rats, we still had Vietnam era equipment stationed (in 1981) in Germany. But standard issue to take a dump at a base camp was a cigarette, paper and something to read optional.

The paper in the C rats was like sandpaper.
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2012 - 06:43 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The paper in the C rats was like sandpaper.

Whereas I remember Brit issue paper was so smooth it polished instead of shifted....................
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2012 - 09:43 AM UTC
You had to clean under your finger nails. One cig paper was all you got.
Ironmike
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 287 posts
Armorama: 270 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 31, 2012 - 10:01 AM UTC
Yes, we had toilet paper. We were pretty well supplied in the main firebases and sometimes we had our folks mail us rolls as supply often ran out (the NCOs always had it and I am sure the officers also).
I once had a buddy throw a grenade at another guy for stealing half a roll. He wasn't hurt but it was scary as there were several of us nearby. Soggy toilet paper is better than no TP. Newspapers came in handy when supply drops couldn't get in to us.
Ironmike
Scarlet_Guidon_6
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 197 posts
Armorama: 186 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 14, 2013 - 12:33 PM UTC
I was most scared when doing one of 2 things on a firebase. Using the latrine,I just knew when I sat we would get mortared or attacked and when one of the few showers ,I knew when I was naked covered in soap/shampoo we would get rocketed or worse. decisions , clan up/finish or man the guns!
Yes we had tp both from C rats in the field or rolls on firebase latrine.

Once when I was tdy to the Bde base camp /very civilized/ they even had brand new seats(someone sent them from the states/ we couldn't figure out who was putting muddy footprints on the white toilet sets. Finally discovered that some of the Vietnamese support people.civilians/used the latrine and squatted their feet on the seats,We educated them!
Sandbox
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 350 posts
Armorama: 158 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2013 - 03:56 AM UTC
An interesting variation on 'winning their hearts and minds'.
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2013 - 04:14 AM UTC
In the field, you used the TP out of the C Rats. Usually, you kept that and your matches in the camouflage retaining band that went around your helmet. I do not think the Marines had the retaining bands, so let your imagination run wild with their procedures. Also, we carried entrenching tools to cover the do-do. Now, on Monday, you took a big orange anti malaria pill that pretty well used up a great deal of your TP stock. We usually (1st Cav) received a re supply every four day so each guy carried the equivalent of one case of C Rats along with a god awful amount of water. When you went to the fire base, you have the luxury of the community sitters. Ah, the fond memories!
Scarlet_Guidon_6
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2013 - 09:02 AM UTC
Ahh you forgot the white pill? We were Guinea pigs? But thank heavens we were in the rubber, no agent range just Rome Plows,Rome Plows might be a diorama there??
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2013 - 12:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Ahh you forgot the white pill? We were Guinea pigs? But thank heavens we were in the rubber, no agent range just Rome Plows,Rome Plows might be a diorama there??

They (the plows) certainly were impressive. Of course one can never forget the dirt kicked up by a CH 54 carrying one of your 105;s around the berm into position....thanks for the redleg dirt bath
fhvn4d
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 803 posts
Armorama: 564 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2013 - 02:01 PM UTC
Thank GOD for baby wipes... that is all !! LOL

Actually I had a friend tell me a humourous story about military TP usage... said take 4 pieces, lay them on top of each other, and tear one corner off.... anyone know what the corner was for????
Scarlet_Guidon_6
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 15, 2013 - 06:49 PM UTC
Fingernails. It's a joke about Marines. Here is a true one. I had a battery of 105s in The 1st Cav. Sometimes supply sucked. I had gun solvent,gun oil but no rags to clean the tubes. I got permission to take a Huey down to Long Binh to get paperwork, and supplies. No one had rags. I went to the PX and bought as much Tampax as they had,maybe 10 or 15 large packages. Loaded and went bac to the Fire base. Small one in jungle inf co and my 6 guns.

Few weeks later the MPs and a couple of CID types landed and wanted to see the BC. Btry Co. me. They were investigating my possible black market activities, buying tampax and selling to locals for profit or favors. Anyway the 1sgt and I took the to one of the guns, You take 2 tampax wrap them in your hands dip in gun oil and swab the tube. Then ball them up .they hold a lot of liquid and you use the ram to do the whole barrel. I was cleared lol. supply still sucked but I didn't do the buying again.
 _GOTOTOP