Softskins group discussions.
Hosted by Darren Baker
New forum group: Softskins
GenHalftrack
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 9 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 27, 2002 - 07:40 AM UTC
Hello Everyone interested in softskins. My name is Ed Kennedy and I ask Staff Jim to create this area for us. I know there are others out there who enjoy this area of modeling. I do not restrict myself to softskins, but they are my favorite. Some of you may have seen my collection of WWII Volkswagens at the IPMS Nats at Va. Beach. I am now working on a list of models available tha can be built in two parts, or vehicles that tow something. The combinations seem to be enormous, such as, a duece and a half with a water tank trailer or a Krupp Protze with a rubber tired field kitchen. Lets start with this idea and everyone add their own thoughts on various combinations. It could create quite a list for us to choose from and get everyone thinking and talking. Artillery can be included as the item being towed. Remember anything can happen in war. Have fun.
Ed

shiryon
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 876 posts
Armorama: 606 posts
Posted: Monday, October 28, 2002 - 05:50 AM UTC
Are we includiing wreckers in this category? If so theres abunch available.

Josh
aKA shiryon
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Monday, October 28, 2002 - 05:53 AM UTC
Naturally, I'm interested in a Softskins Forum Group - and I'd like to be a Moderator of it as well.

Gunnie
JimF
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 717 posts
Armorama: 621 posts
Posted: Monday, October 28, 2002 - 06:11 AM UTC
I like doing halftracks as a break from hard-shells, so this forum should be very useful. Although I've only done a couple of SdFK 251's recently, I have fond memories of doing the old Monogram M-3 with the twin .50's , many (many, many) years ago, back when I used to buy only one kit at a time, and would have it built, painted and decaled in an afternoon or two...
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 12,571 posts
Armorama: 6,599 posts
Posted: Monday, October 28, 2002 - 07:04 AM UTC
The best way to look at this group is almost as a "club", where the users are obviously more interested in all things softskin then in particular nationalities, time-periods, etc. I could actually rename the group Softskin Club if that might make more sense.

Moderators - When I get back to work on the groups system I will try to make group-based moderation possible. Right now I would have to add moderators at the Armor Forum level and that might mean too many moderators in the long-term.

Thanks to Ed for his suggestion of this group and shepherding it along. If you guys need anything else in that way of support please just let me know.

Cheers,
Jim
Posted: Monday, October 28, 2002 - 07:46 AM UTC
hi all,
this group would be an excellent addition to the groups. i have plans to put together a MB3000 and put the Tamiya Feldkuche in the back of it. and this would be a good place to tell about it.

Chris Pig no.1
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
KitMaker: 1,796 posts
Armorama: 1,207 posts
Posted: Monday, October 28, 2002 - 09:00 AM UTC
I enjoy building softskins. I like giving the model a "lived in" look. I'm looking forward to this group.
Desert-Fox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 652 posts
Posted: Monday, October 28, 2002 - 12:19 PM UTC
Am currently hosting a group build for the FAMO. Famo towing anything would be interesting. Artillery, Radar, Searchlight, Tanks, Trailers you name it it's out there.
Check out the group build secton.
The coolest thing would be a DAK diorama.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
Armorama: 3,799 posts
Posted: Monday, October 28, 2002 - 01:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Am currently hosting a group build for the FAMO. Famo towing anything would be interesting. Artillery, Radar, Searchlight, Tanks, Trailers you name it it's out there.

A FAMO Group Build?!? How'd I miss that? Man, this site is getting big...

Gotta go take a peek...

Gunnie
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Monday, October 28, 2002 - 02:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

A FAMO Group Build?!? How'd I miss that? Man, this site is getting big...

Gotta go take a peek...

Gunnie

Hmmm,......ditto.

Tread.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Monday, October 28, 2002 - 02:21 PM UTC
Oops, sorry, didn't intend a 'double-post'. (don't want to upset the post-counter's). But, where is this FAMO group build anyway Desert-Fox?

Tread.
sgtsauer
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 2,605 posts
Armorama: 1,814 posts
Posted: Monday, October 28, 2002 - 02:46 PM UTC
I would support the idea of a "soft skin" group as well. I used to like only tanks but have recently taken an interest in wheeled fighting vehicles. I have an AFV Club Sdkfz. 11 that I am currently working on. It will be towing a tamiya German 3.7cm FLAK gun. I have two Sdkfz 250/251 half-tracks to build as well as a Tamiya Steyr that I will be converting using the Verlinden radio truck conversion set.

So, in all, I think it will be a valuable resource and will provide faster access to information without having to sort through posts that include "tanks"!
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,289 posts
Armorama: 1,231 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 04:47 AM UTC
I've been living with these damn M35A2 models for years now, so I'm game for this idea !
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,331 posts
Armorama: 569 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 05:04 AM UTC
Softskins?...Terrific idea. I used to build them to give Dio's and vignettes more "depth", and then found they were a lot of fun to build just on their own. I am definately looking forward to this group. :-)

Mike

kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,416 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 05:06 AM UTC
I like wheels too, and would certainly hang out in a softskins forum as well.

Thanks,
Kevin Keefe
Mortars in Miniature
GenHalftrack
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 10:29 AM UTC
Wow! Lots of great responses to new softskin forum. I knew you were out there. Yes Josh, wreckers will be fine and Chris has a good towing idea. That's the spirit. How does everyone feel about Staff Jim's idea about calling it a Softskin Club. We could create a roster and everything. Maybe even a secret handshake. Just kidding.
I like Sgt. Bush's comment about the lived in look. Been a long time since I built something plain. Figures and accessories add so much to a softskin build. Look what it does for tanks. Keep thinking of those towing combinations, especially you guys and the Famos. They can pull most any thing. Now theres an idea, a Famo pulling a Puppchen.

Ed

plstktnkr2
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 352 posts
Armorama: 309 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 05:11 PM UTC
well guys as an owner of (3) 3T half tracks 1 ambulance
1 regular
1 towing nebelwerfer
and 2 FAMO's deal me in . I 'm down with the sickness lol #:-)
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 3,179 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 - 05:15 PM UTC
TREADHEAD, et. al, take a look at the armor forum under Sdkfz. 9 Famo for the group build. Join us if you like, the more the merrier...

Nate
Wisc. USA
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 30, 2002 - 09:55 PM UTC
Hey, this Aussie likes this idea. I have 12 GMC-CCKW's to build in different vergins, oop's I mean versions. I also know of an original picture from the Australian War Memorial Data base showing a GMC-CCKW towing a field hospital (complete) to a new site in the Pacific somewhere so this should qualify as a towing vehicle. Shouldn't it?

Cliff (I'm a Driver not a private)
AKA the GMC-CCKW kid
GenHalftrack
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, November 03, 2002 - 07:39 AM UTC

Reply to Pvt. Cliff
Great idea. I would just like to see a picture of a towable field hospital. Do you have a reference for that ?
Tanks46
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 113 posts
Armorama: 98 posts
Posted: Monday, November 04, 2002 - 01:26 PM UTC
Hi guys Tanks46 here. I like the idea of a softskin group as well. Although I am 1/72 scale or smaller I detail my vehicles and have an extensive soft skin collection. I am currently building a Resin Famo Sdkhz 9 and a Sh 116 trailer. The info that you guys offer up is incredible and I have made several improvements to models from suggestions made by the membership. So I 'm in.

Quoted Text

Your task will not be an easy one. Your enemy is well trained, well equipped and battle hardened...I have full confidence in your courage, devotion to duty, and skill in battle. We will accept nothing less than full victory.

Butch Cassidy Tanks46
Der Sonntag Bund
 _GOTOTOP