_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
Suggestion for new forum
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 3,377 posts
Armorama: 1,088 posts
Posted: Monday, August 08, 2005 - 11:02 PM UTC
With the huge load of posts and topics, its becomming more and more difficult to follow a tread, especially if its a continious build.

Today most posters make a "part 1", "Part 2" in a relevant forum - like armor etc., but unless they are linking to previus treads, its difficult to follow a build.

For members who want to share a build - like this its tends to disapear in a short while.
I know we have the rivetreview board, but most af the models displayed there is mostly 95 % done, and often we dont see the end result.

My suggestion is to make some sort of workbench for a continius build, where the builder wants to show the progress and tecniques used over a long period. The forum could be sorted after era/nationality or after the contributer.

Offcause it should be encuraged that only "building logs" are welcome in this forum, anything else belongs in the rivetreviewboard.

MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Monday, August 08, 2005 - 11:04 PM UTC
this is the way the 'Rivit Review' forum is supposed to work. For a lot of reasons it does not work in this fashion.

cheers
Cliff
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Armorama: 7,297 posts
Posted: Monday, August 08, 2005 - 11:36 PM UTC
I agree, that this is how RRR is suppose to work..... posting a start to finish. At least that's what I try to do.
And yes, there are periods that pass inbetween postings..... I'm well known for many projects at the same time, (sometimes too many!!!) and also for putting aside projects to refreshen the mind and soul.
Easy enough to pick up where you left off, just use the information in your profile, to find the thread you started on the subject.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Monday, August 08, 2005 - 11:45 PM UTC
I believe that JimS actually created a space on the site for BLOGs which were not actually used at all. In this respect, a new forum would (IMHO) be unnecessary although I agree 100% with your ideas.

The problem is that many people simply don't use the forums in an adequate manner - RRB is a clear case in point. Both Cliff and I share the same opinion on how they have been somewhat misused, in a number of cases as little more than WOW! forums.

Personally I believe that one of the best ways to improve the site is to encourage 'BLOGGING' as much as possible, in this way, Jan, your post is highly useful...Jim
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 01:24 AM UTC
Maybe a little reminder posted about what should belong in each forum. Maybe some of the newer members don't know any better. Heck even I could use some guidance since I never really was instructed. I just started posting where I believed it belonged but I could be wrong.

For example on my campaign build I usually display my progress in the Campaign Command Central. Should I posting updates to the RRR until the final product is complete and then make a final post to CCC?

Should Armor/AFV be for completed vehicles and questions only?

jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 01:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Maybe a little reminder posted about what should belong in each forum. Maybe some of the newer members don't know any better. Heck even I could use some guidance since I never really was instructed. I just started posting where I believed it belonged but I could be wrong.

All of the forums contain posting guidelines. In many cases, an exercise in frustration for JimS as it seems that many people choose to ignore these guidelines. No, what isn't needed are more guidelines - what we have at the moment are more than adequate....Jim
barv
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,594 posts
Armorama: 973 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 02:02 AM UTC

---Oops-- thought Scatchbuilders Forum was for in progress builds as well
Sorry
aye
BARV
(GOSMG)
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 03:31 AM UTC
Oh I still mourn the death of common sense......
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 10:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

---Oops-- thought Scatchbuilders Forum was for in progress builds as well
Sorry
aye
BARV
(GOSMG)

I too post my in progress scratch builds in this forum and I am glad you do too as I very very rarely visit the Rivit Review forum these days and would miss seeing your good efforts.

cheers
Cliff
mother
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
Armorama: 1,370 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 10:37 AM UTC
Ok so I’m probably doing this all wrong…so every time that I’m working on something like lets say helicopters, I should be posting my progress and updates in the Rivet Review section, right. Most of my build postings has been in the Aircraft section which I had another look at it says, “Discuss the finer points of aviation modeling“. Well then I’m guilty and will pay more attention to where I post. Now I also had a look at the RRB forum https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/4709&page=1 So my question is this, what if I'm not looking for constructive criticism! So where would I post then. I'm not trying to be funny, I'm just looking for a honest answer.
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 10:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

So my question is this, what if I'm not looking for constructive criticism! So where would I post then. I'm not trying to be funny, I'm just looking for a honest answer.

Joe I am not being funny either with this reply but if you do not want constructive criticism it won't matter if you post in the Rivit Review Forum because you probably will not get too much in the way of constructive criticism in there IMHO anyway.

cheers
Cliff
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 12:35 PM UTC
Well, I certainly can't see any reason for another forum, when this simple post has caused a lot of confusion about where to post. HELL... lets have another fourm to post in so we can now have more confusion.......

COMMON SENSE..... post them where you think they belong.....
and where you think you will get the responses you desire.....

Gee Wiz.... I think Aircraft would make more sense in Aircraft than in FIGURES or ARMOUR.......

I think A CAMPAIGN piece would make more sense in the CAMPAIGN THREADS/FOURMS, since it's being built for a CAMPAIGN.

OH HOPEFULLY ---- MAYBE ---- PERHAPS---- SOMEDAY the RRR, and CC will return to the constructive help it once was, so the problems can be corrected during the build..... not afterwards!!!!! That's why I post in RRB or CC, to be told what wrong!!! ---- Hey Dave.... those fittings are only on an M4A1..... hell I'm still trying to figure out what the hell grouser covers are, much less where the hell the they belong, and don't belong...... The "at a boy" just don't cut it for me. I'm really NOT going to cry or be emotionally upset if someone who knows more about a Sherman, points out errors, as long as he can point me in the right direction to correct it. I don't have an M4A3 in my back yard, only a walkaround and in action book, and what ever those who know more than me direct me too.....and I also think that the progress and corrections needed should be carried out to the best of the abilities of the modeller after those who know more have taken the time to try and help. And a finished piece displayed as the result of the other members help.

OK I'm off my soap box. ..... Common Sense......

fanai
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 2,654 posts
Armorama: 208 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 12:37 PM UTC
what us in the scratchbuilt figures do is constantly post on the same started post but I have noticed that causes loading delays- I am keen to look harder into the way to post in the right (or more likely Better) areas- Have only been on sight since April- Love what I get now but as a modeller and person am always willing to grow and learn better ways
Ian
jRatz
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,171 posts
Armorama: 541 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 09, 2005 - 01:00 PM UTC
Common Sense, as I understand it ....

If you are enrolled in a Campaign, then post your stuff there.

If you are not in a Campaign and want constructive criticsm and/or help, then post in either RRB (for kits) or Scratchbuild (for scratchbuild).

If none of the above apply, then post a couple shots in the appropriate forum (armor, aircraft, etc).

Keep the same post running so there is a record for all to see. If it has been a while since you posted & it scrolled away, then go to your account & look at your recent posts -- it'll show up there.

If the thread gets too big, stop loading it with pictures. Put 1-2 pix in the thread as a teaser & put the rest in your Gallery. You can also go vack & edit down previous posts that are redundant as the build progressed.

Not enough room in your Gallery ? Reduce size / number of pix, or join A-Guard.

John
 _GOTOTOP